New Home Design Programme

JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if there is already a thread, I couldn't see one.
I really enjoyed this programme on BBC2 last night. Nothing like Changing Rooms..no false rush to finish, no hype, briefs discussed with the homeowner, realsitic time frame.
I enjoyed the historical bits and learned something about the area.
I even got one or two design / decorating tips.
I shall certainly watch the whole series. Well done BBC2

Comments

• JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did no one else watch this? It's on every night this week :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....no false rush to finish...

An unrealistic 3 day deadline and a meagre £1000 budget are just more of the same kind of artificial restrictions programme-makers impose in order to create "drama". Give them a week and £2000 and maybe the end result wouldn`t look like it was done in 72 hours for peanuts.

If you ask me it was clear the producers had begged all the homeowners to be complimentary to the designers after the reveal regardless of what they thought. Surprised Dyckoff is involved in something so gimmicky and contrived.

It was watchable but all too obviously a slave to the current telly conventions for this sort of guff.
  • notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched this on Sky+ and honestly think I could have done a better job with £1000 to spend.

I didn't like any of the rooms - the painted floors, clashing patterns and faux trompe l'oeil were awful and while the reupholstered chair looked nicer I wonder how well it was done in such a short time with no experience.

I'd like to know if the homeowners have changed anything yet.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series to see what other horrors can be created. I'd never let any of them loose in my home, that's for sure.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Sorry if there is already a thread, I couldn't see one.
    I really enjoyed this programme on BBC2 last night. Nothing like Changing Rooms..no false rush to finish, no hype, briefs discussed with the homeowner, realsitic time frame.
    I enjoyed the historical bits and learned something about the area.
    I even got one or two design / decorating tips.
    I shall certainly watch the whole series. Well done BBC2

Were we watching the same programme? The time frame was hugely unrealistic and produced three rough-around-the-edges rooms. I was reminded of the late, great Changing Rooms throughout, particularly when the bloke whipped out the MDF and made that stupid giant picture frame around the bed filled with the cat-sick yellow wallpaper. And that hand-painted bed head was very Linda Barker circa 1996. :p

I did vaguely enjoy it though. I also liked the history-lite bits, particularly as my mum lives in an almost identical street of Edwardian houses in London. They are pretty houses.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had been looking forward to this programme, so was a bit disappointed in the results.

I really didn't like any of the rooms.

(Although I did like that roller gadget thingy, especially if you could create your own designs.)

On the plus side, at least they didn't go for that 'hotel-room chic' bowlocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Who are the designers ? Are they designers or amateurs? The finished look was definitely amateurish:o
    Logs in a hole in the wall?. Logs on shelves?.. Fairy lights in the logs? :confused:
  • hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    They are amateurs, that's the point. I did think tonight's was not so good though.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found all the room designs rather bland tbh, but lots of people seem to like the beige, magnolia, neutral look, I prefer colour. My hallway is pillar box red with loads of mostly original oil paintings (I used to be an art dealer) and some prints all with gold frames. I like animal heads and have quite a few (not real!), a leather stags head in the hall, a white ceramic oryx, a pewter rams head with lovely curly horns. I like decorative corbels and have some on the walls with house plants on top, I'm fond of house plants but hubby wasn't too thrilled when he came home from work the other day to find a rather large palm tree like plant in the living room, I've placed it next to our large tank of tropical marine fish, turn up the radiators and it's like Florida in our house! My living room is a warm yellow, again lots of original oil paintings and a large gold framed mirror over the mantle piece. I' m working on the master bedroom at the moment, I'm doing it in a Japanese/Oriental style. My home may not be everybody's taste but bland it ain't!
  • hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I like a bit of colour myself, but tend to keep the walls neutral..so they are an off white, but I have 1 pink, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 white dining chair..I bring colour in that way. I do love an animals head, we have a mounted stag skull and antlers called Heinrich.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing that last nights (and the others apparently) are reduced to an even more ludicrous 48 hours time-limit I gave this a swerve and will not bother with the rest.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recorded this series and have also been a little disappointed. I'm mainly interested in shows like this to see how people interpret a brief and how they express this in their work.

But for a design programme I find it greatly lacking in functional design - in one of the bedrooms last time they removed all of the storage and didn't replace it. Just like back in the quick/cheap makeover day when they'd effectively remove everything from the room to make it look bigger, give it some paint, faff around with some strange effect, and leave everything else in a shed somewhere.

I was quite surprised at the amount of grey used throughout both sets of rooms.

Also I wonder how they find these people who want their rooms doing all on one street... I think if you were employing a professional designer and paying them as well as paying for the whole job, you'd probably be quite particular with what you wanted. The clients on this show seem to go along with most things (apart from the single guy in the terrace) because they're getting a free makeover.

I noticed quite a lot of MDF furniture being built as well. I understand this is sometimes necessary to get it fitted to the room, however I was disappointed that such supposedly passionate interior designers weren't interested in sourcing proper furniture.

One more thing: that blue table painted by the winner this week was DREADFUL. It looked like a failed art project from 1992.

The only things I like are seeing the client consultation (though this isn't very authentic IMO), some bits and bobs about the history of the design of the houses, and initially seeing all three transform the same object. However the object challenge turned out to be a complete failure in most cases.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the finishing has been terrible like that guys shelving yesterday. It was very amateurish. That painted table was horrendous yesterday also. So dated looking. I can never understand why some of these interior designers completely ignore their clients requests and do the complete opposite to what they have been asked like that woman yesterday who's clients hated the room.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people can't paint they should leave it to the professionals. Nothing lets down a room like poor painting and there was much of that in evidence last night. Just basic stuff like making sure you cut in around windows, door frames etc and different coloured blobs of paint on skirting boards looks awful.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re the bedroom storage in the first programme. The client said that they didn't need the storage as there was a small bedroom which they were going to use as a dressing room.
    Haven't caught last night's offering yet but I love Art Deco and am looking forward to seeing the results :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re the bedroom storage in the first programme. The client said that they didn't need the storage as there was a small bedroom which they were going to use as a dressing room.
    Haven't caught last night's offering yet but I love Art Deco and am looking forward to seeing the results :)

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you because most of the furniture she used wasn't Art Deco and she didn't finish what she planned to do to make it look more Art Deco in style.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I've been watching and have seen most of it.

I'm not very impressed with many of the contestants or the finished rooms, but still like to look in.

It was a change for me last night as I actually did like two out of the three finished rooms and yet it was the one I didn't think much of that won >:(

My question is whether anyone knows what they're competing for? a title? a prize?
    I haven't heard it mentioned and can't see on any of the BBC websites about the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I've been watching and have seen most of it.

I'm not very impressed with many of the contestants or the finished rooms, but still like to look in.

It was a change for me last night as I actually did like two out of the three finished rooms and yet it was the one I didn't think much of that won >:(

My question is whether anyone knows what they're competing for? a title? a prize?
    I haven't heard it mentioned and can't see on any of the BBC websites about the show.

I think they get a feature in Home & Garden magazine. The Pamela Anderson lookalikee was so funny. :D
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pamela Anderson lookalikee was so funny. :D

Yes I was quite :o about her TINY shorts! Very strange idea of using dark purple and gold to create a beach theme (I don't even think the lilac and pale green was beachy) :confused:

ETA: Find it very interesting seeing some unusual architecture. I for one haven't seen many of those art deco style houses knocking around, nor the 50s/60s (?) ones of next week. I would have thought they'd struggle to find a row where they could find three willing participants.

In this week's London episode, I found the first client (Anna) intensely annoying and in a way it didn't make the task fair as the designer couldn't really do much, whereas the others could do more or less what they wanted. Inevitably she'd therefore end up with the worst room. Still it was a bit countrified... however the client really didn't seem the Parisian chic type - especially with her ideas about painting the table legs and chair bright blue. I don't think she knew what she wanted. Felt sorry for the designer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    Yes I was quite :o about her TINY shorts! Very strange idea of using dark purple and gold to create a beach theme (I don't even think the lilac and pale green was beachy) :confused:

ETA: Find it very interesting seeing some unusual architecture. I for one haven't seen many of those art deco style houses knocking around, nor the 50s/60s (?) ones of next week. I would have thought they'd struggle to find a row where they could find three willing participants.

In this week's London episode, I found the first client (Anna) intensely annoying and in a way it didn't make the task fair as the designer couldn't really do much, whereas the others could do more or less what they wanted. Inevitably she'd therefore end up with the worst room. Still it was a bit countrified... however the client really didn't seem the Parisian chic type - especially with her ideas about painting the table legs and chair bright blue. I don't think she knew what she wanted. Felt sorry for the designer.

Yes they should make it clear to the 'client' that the designer should have more input on the finished product. If someone keeps changing their minds all the time like she did, then the designer doesn't stand a chance. All this poncey nonsense of using 'client' and 'sticking to brief' gets on my nerves.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I think they get a feature in Home & Garden magazine. The Pamela Anderson lookalikee was so funny. :D

Thanks AFT.

Purple and gold anyone? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Thanks AFT.

Purple and gold anyone? :D

Pistachio if you don't mind. :D
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a tall order to completely redo a kitchen in the time they are allowed. They should have a had a week to do this one.

I'm liking the programme though not all the designs. :D

:kitty:
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Suffering f*ck. I wouldn't let anyone associated with this programme anywhere near my kitchen.
  • etpetp Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched all programmes in this series so far ... would love to see someone use any colour other than grey on the walls. That being said, there have been some nice designs all week, considering they are amateurs. I do like how they tend to listen more to the clients wishes and adapt their plans accordingly.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    One thing this programme shows is you really can't rush a job.

The finishes are always awful.

Patchy paint and appalling painting methods. Camera shots hide a lot.