Dark Souls 2

KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we're getting closer to this deathly game being released. I've managed to stay away from most news about it as I just want to jump into the middle of it and try out everything myself. I just know I'm going to be dying so much in this. I cant wait lol. Anyone else getting it day one?

Prepare to die... again!

Comments

• Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rage quit the first one on my old gamertag and not played it since. I have installed it again recently and I'll go back to it soon. And, if I don't go full on 'Hulk' at it, I'll probably get DS2 in a few months.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to die over and over again like the other two games. Love it. :D
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still wake up crying in the early hours of the morning over the first. Don't think I'm quite ready for a second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to play it but can't see the fun in just dying constantly the 1st one was rock solid.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than a week to go!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived today and do far I've put in about 3 hours to it again I've lost count of how many times I've died! It's infuriating but fun.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for it! The PC version's out in a month and looks pretty impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to give this a go and put in some serious time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servers are dodgy atm which is annoying and I keep getting lost. Not levelled up much either.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a third of the way through Demon Souls and half-way through Dark Souls and yet i've pre-ordered Dark Souls 2. I don't know why i do it to myself.

I'm disappointed it didn't arrive today so fingers crossed it pops through the letterbox tomorrow. I plan to use the advice and knowledge from the gaming community to finish this bad boy.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my copy today. It came with a nice little metal plaque(Amazon exclusive I think ) which I wasn't expecting. :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the look of Demon's and Dark Souls. I am useless at them and haven't played them for a while.
    Nearly bought Dark Souls 2 in Tesco today. Bought some Rum instead.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband has invested massive amounts of time into the first two, loved them.

He's been looking forward to this one for ages and announced after four hours of finally playing it "think I just bought a really expensive statue" ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this as unforgiving as ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Is this as unforgiving as ever.

I know I'm dying all the time! Getting irritating and I'm not liking some of the new mechanics but they're growing on me slowly.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I only got this yesterday and played for about 3 hours, during which time I died countless times but managed to get as far as what I think is the first area - i.e. there's a bonfire and the mobs there seem just about killable for a new character. So when I get home tonight I'll be seeing how much further into that area I can get.

I'm planning on avoiding all walkthroughs/guides/spoilers if I can for my first playthrough but will see how that goes.

Started as the cleric as I figured a heal spell would help, only to find that I had no shield and didn't have the strength to use my mace 1 handed anyway. So my current plan is to find a shield and level up enough to use a mace 1 handed, I'm not thinking beyond that at the moment!
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't think I'm very good at the game yet...

I think I've lost too many souls by not recovering them, and then lost the mobs which stop respawning after you've killed them too many times.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I also bought this yesterday, finding it nails hard, looks like I need some practice but there are no easy rides on this game. Brilliant playability and atmosphere though.

Because the game is so deep and complex I'm unsure whether to read up on guides to help me along, just so I don't miss certain secrects etc but I haven't done that yet as I'm thinking just playing it myself and trying to make sense of it all is a far more intriguing way to play.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/14/dark-souls-ii-deaths-already-at-over-6-million-4573052/

There has already been over six million deaths.

All itemised for the stat geeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was published on Friday. If you look at the obelisk that tells you worldwide deaths it's up to over 49 million.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made a bit more progress last night... some times there are places where you just feel so AGGGGHHH and others when its... 'hell yeah'

I don't think I've tackled any of the bosses yet.. still awesome though,
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Another few hours put in to this and after the initial feeling of having no idea what I was doing, where I was going and after countless deaths (perfectly normal for a Dark Souls game!), I feel I've now started to get a feel for the areas, have unlocked a few bonfires, found a few merchants etc and have a pretty good idea where I need to go next.

I just need to spend a few more hours farming souls/upgrading gear before I go any further. But at least I now have a plan on how to do this!

Not found any bosses yet, just the normal stuff has been giving me enough problems. :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I might pick this up. I've never played the first one, but I heard they aren't really story heavy? I sometimes prefer that. Too many games have a billion cutscenes when all I want to do is play!

I do like a challenge in a game. I remember fighting the Ur Dragon in Dragons Dogma :o I know these games are even harder in general- so long as they are hard but not unfairly hard, like dying because you're unlucky, rather than lacking in skill, I'm ok with it.

Is there a lot of stuff you need to learn if you're new to the game? I remember in Dragons Dogma, there were efficient ways to build a character and very inefficient ways. I'd hate to keep dying because I accidently did the latter, because I didn't know what I was doing.

Are there different character classes? Also, do you ever feel badass, ever? :p Dragons Dogma could be difficult, but there were times you felt incredibly powerful because you'd levelled up certain skills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I heard they aren't really story heavy?

No you don't need to have played the previous games, there is a story in this but I haven't really found it and I'm 20 hours in one of my characters. Generally in these games you have to search for the actual story of it.
    Is there a lot of stuff you need to learn if you're new to the game?

There is a steep learning curve but there is a bit of a tutorial (more than the previous game anyway) to help you into it. To be honest you just need to get used to the style and the pace of it and you'll be fine.
    I know these games are even harder in general- so long as they are hard but not unfairly hard, like dying because you're unlucky, rather than lacking in skill, I'm ok with it.

There are aspects of both of these. You can die because you are unlucky and it can get annoying but then if you go past that place again and die the same way then it's your own fault. You need to learn ways around places and past mobs if you want to proceed, but it's not always like that.
    Are there different character classes?

There is at the beginning but with the nature of levelling up and inputting stats wherever you want you can turn any class into anything you want. There is total freedom. I started as a warrior/knight and I am now adding Faith to it (White mage abilities basically) just to add a second dimension to my battles.

A good tip to new comers is don't be afraid of trying different things and dying lots. If you are struggling past an area too then try and summon someone else to help you out. I've beat about 4 bosses so far with other people helping me. They may know techniques to try and beat something you are struggling with. Also if you don't want to go into an area in your own game yet, lay down your summon sign and help someone else do it just to know the layout and the techniques of the boss.

Oh and yes you feel badass! Especially when some cocky fella comes in to invade you and you send them back to their own world tail between their legs and your sword stuck in their chest!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    No you don't need to have played the previous games, there is a story in this but I haven't really found it and I'm 20 hours in one of my characters. Generally in these games you have to search for the actual story of it.

There is a steep learning curve but there is a bit of a tutorial (more than the previous game anyway) to help you into it. To be honest you just need to get used to the style and the pace of it and you'll be fine.

There are aspects of both of these. You can die because you are unlucky and it can get annoying but then if you go past that place again and die the same way then it's your own fault. You need to learn ways around places and past mobs if you want to proceed, but it's not always like that.

There is at the beginning but with the nature of levelling up and inputting stats wherever you want you can turn any class into anything you want. There is total freedom. I started as a warrior/knight and I am now adding Faith to it (White mage abilities basically) just to add a second dimension to my battles.

A good tip to new comers is don't be afraid of trying different things and dying lots. If you are struggling past an area too then try and summon someone else to help you out. I've beat about 4 bosses so far with other people helping me. They may know techniques to try and beat something you are struggling with. Also if you don't want to go into an area in your own game yet, lay down your summon sign and help someone else do it just to know the layout and the techniques of the boss.

Oh and yes you feel badass! Especially when some cocky fella comes in to invade you and you send them back to their own world tail between their legs and your sword stuck in their chest!

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, it sounds pretty good. Being able to respec is always great to have in an rpg, takes the pressure off newbies :p

Another thing, I heard there was no pause option? I have to say, that kind of bugs me to think about being in the middle of a boss fight and just having to quit because I can't pause :p

The only other question I have is, what are the online aspects and are they worth having? I know you mentioned summoning others, and invading, is that an online feature too? My Xbox live ran out a few months back and I never bothered to renew it, so just wondering if any of the online aspects are worth it? I'd probably renew it if so.