Options

London Live

WingerWinger Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
edited 18/03/23 - 16:14 in Broadcasting #1
Any Londoners excited/enthused/mildly looking forward to London Live's launch next Monday?

Five-and-a-half hours worth of daily news is certainly going to take some beating by the BBC and ITV.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winger wrote: »
    Any Londoners excited/enthused/mildly looking forward to London Live's launch next Monday?

Five-and-a-half hours worth of daily news is certainly going to take some beating by the BBC and ITV.

As long as it's not five-and-a-half hours of Boris Johnson as per the BBC and ITV local news in London. Does anyone know who the presenters are ?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

As long as it doesn't go the way of that last abortion of a london station, Live TV or something, back in the nineties. They ended up showing topless darts and programmes like strip masterbrain. It certainly died a death.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All local tv is destined to die, London live will be bankrupt within a year.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually live a little way outside of London but I am looking forward to the channel as I often have to go their for work. I just hope it is not going to be all news but focus on a spectrum across London. So much going on in the capital it might be nice to have a TV channel which picks up on local events and issues that the main stream channels don't/ With the BBC moving up north maybe it will leave a gap for London Live to fill
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topless darts anyone?
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when the Brighton licence from Whitehawk Hill is coming live?
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Colchester, Essex. Outside of the terrestrial digital area of london live but a big commuter town . Anybody know if it will be on virgin in colchester??
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Colchester, Essex. Outside of the terrestrial digital area of london live but a big commuter town . Anybody know if it will be on virgin in colchester??

I retuned my TV only last week and discovered London Live first I heard of it. I assume as I have the channel I will be able to pick it up. However from the press I don't believe it is just restricted to the London area it is going out over freeview, sky and virgin so you can watch it anywhere I assume.

London Live will be available on Freeview channel 8, Sky channel 117 and Virgin Media channel 159. London Live executives had been pushing for a more high-profile slot on Virgin Media's cable TV service.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living outside the M25, I don't expect it to cover stories from where I am so no change from BBC London or London Tonight. We are told that there is not a sofa in sight so no DFS ads:D.

They seem to be aiming for a 20's, 30's year old audience which might make sense seeing BBC3 might close on freeview..
  • Options
    SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I retuned my TV only last week and discovered London Live first I heard of it. I assume as I have the channel I will be able to pick it up. However from the press I don't believe it is just restricted to the London area it is going out over freeview, sky and virgin so you can watch it anywhere I assume.

London Live will be available on Freeview channel 8, Sky channel 117 and Virgin Media channel 159. London Live executives had been pushing for a more high-profile slot on Virgin Media's cable TV service.

When you say retuned do you mean on the tv digital tuner rather then sky? Do you live in Colchester Bluescope?
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't go the way of that last abortion of a london station, Live TV or something, back in the nineties. They ended up showing topless darts and programmes like strip masterbrain. It certainly died a death.

Nothing wrong with topless darts, or the weather in Norwegian:D
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that BBC London can't fill the main local bulletin without resorting to repeating national news, it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Also would be interested to know the numbers of reporters involved when comparing the output.
  • Options
    TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    All local tv is destined to die, London live will be bankrupt within a year.
    Agreed. As I've said before, most local commercial radio stations have been gobbled up by large groups due to the lack of advertising revenue.
    Only one of Jeremy Hunt's daft decisions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomM44 wrote: »
    Agreed. As I've said before, most local commercial radio stations have been gobbled up by large groups due to the lack of advertising revenue.
    Only one of Jeremy Hunt's daft decisions.

You mean the likes of GWR, GCAP & now Global snapping up rivals with local Hearts having a far bit of local advertising.

We could see something like 20 new local channels across the UK by the end of the year. OK a few might not launch but are you saying these people have all lost their marbles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In general Local TV will never work commcialy as ITV and ILR have shown recently. London live will most likely never make a profit or at at least only small profits.

However they are going to repeat good programmes which are linked to London from BBC/C4, if they accept like the ES it will make a loss and focus on good current affairs/news than critically it might work.

What would help would be to expand the signal area to Berkshire Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Dorset, Essex, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Wiltshire (or at least most of them).

That would give a population of over 20 million and home to over 50% of UK GDP, which would be big enough for a TV Station surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    In general Local TV will never work commcialy as ITV and ILR have shown recently. London live will most likely never make a profit or at at least only small profits.

However they are going to repeat good programmes which are linked to London from BBC/C4, if they accept like the ES it will make a loss and focus on good current affairs/news than critically it might work.

What would help would be to expand the signal area to Berkshire Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Dorset, Essex, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Wiltshire (or at least most of them).

That would give a population of over 20 million and home to over 50% of UK GDP, which would be big enough for a TV Station surely?

96.4 The Eagle (Guildford) going 18 years, Estuary tv (Grimsby) going 15 years or something.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member

But then it wouldn't be a local TV station, thereby completely negating the whole point of what local TV is supposed to be about.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    96.4 The Eagle (Guildford) going 18 years, Estuary tv (Grimsby) going 15 years or something.

Is Estuary TV not owned by the Grimsby Institute of Further & Higher Education?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    But then it wouldn't be a local TV station, thereby completely negating the whole point of what local TV is supposed to be about.:confused:

That is point, you can't do Local TV unless it is not-for-profit.

Besides London Live is more "Regional" due to its size and population area...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Estuary TV not owned by the Grimsby Institute of Further & Higher Education?

It is & has only been on Freeview ( Humberside ) November / December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is & has only been on Freeview ( Humberside ) November / December.

My point is that it is owned by a not-for-profit body...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is that it is owned by a not-for-profit body...

For me it boils down to the owners & each local tv should have good connections to local universities, arts bodies & so on. I don't agree that one has to buy BBC, itv or C4 programming but have some good thinking ideas.

I have my doubts on some areas as they are not large enough but for the most I say yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it boils down to the owners & each local tv should have good connections to local universities, arts bodies & so on. I don't agree that one has to buy BBC, itv or C4 programming but have some good thinking ideas.

I have my doubts on some areas as they are not large enough but for the most I say yes.

I agree, all I am saying is that pretty much all the stations will remain loss making and thus would need to be operated on a non-for-profit basis with ties to universities/arts bodies.

Personally it should be more "regional" and less "local"
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone actually seen US local news? If it's going to be like that I won't be watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, all I am saying is that pretty much all the stations will remain loss making and thus would need to be operated on a non-for-profit basis with ties to universities/arts bodies.

Personally it should be more "regional" and less "local"

I would say it is far too local in the south ( outside London ) than the North of England which most are in big cities like Leeds, Newcastle & Liverpool. Here there are plans for Southampton, Brighton, Reading, Basingstoke, Oxford & Guildford.

A south Coast, Thames Valley & Southeast service would be fine for me.
This discussion has been closed.