Cat's and Christmas trees

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just reading another thread (real v fake tree's) and a number of posters said they do not bother with tree's - because their cats attack them?

I am guessing it is quite common for cats to go for the tree's?

This will be Amber's 3rd Christmas - our tree barely made it to Crimbo day last year due to her efforts of destruction :eek:

I am still having my Christmas tree though, regardless of how threadbare and half dead it looks after the cat has been at it :D

My childhood cat had a particular interest in certain decorations and would scale my Mum's tree to get to them?

Are all cats like this?

Comments

• silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op you post made me smile. When I was little girl ( many moons ago ) we had a black cat, my late father had just finished putting the tree up with all the decorations and chocolate mice ect,
    when the cat promptly ran up the tree and wrecked it within minutes. Also he ( the cat ) would
    sit looking at the decorations on the ceilling and try and paw them down even though they were about ten foot higher, than him.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I was only talking to my upstairs neighbour she was saying about getting a tree cos last years was ruined by her little Eponene, she sits in em....she's ruined two trees so far.:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Intelligent cats don't bother with them as they know the difference. I have had three cats in 38 years and only the Impossible Princess wanted to climb an indoor tree and as much as i loved her she had learning difficulties.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't bother with them because the cats will use them to hide behind to fight each other over and through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Alfie was still finding baubles he'd put behind the sofa from xmas in the summer! he loves xmas! The other two aren't bothered!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    What I call the uh-oh moment.. you can hear their furry little brains ticking but I just love watching them, that afternoon doing my tree is the happiest of the year :D xx

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/866/image146p.jpg
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine ignored the tree after they managed to pull it on top of themselves. I think the sound of crashing baubles, the mess and me shouting (it scared me to death as I didn't realise they were in the room!) made them very wary of the tree. But that was last year, who knows what mischief they'll get up to this year. Still won't buy a real tree though as we have conifers in the garden which are used as scratching posts and good hiding places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a fake tree and one of our cats likes to eat it:rolleyes: The other ignores it after seeing if she could pull it down and she discovered she couldn't.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already posted this on another thread, but am putting it on again here as it is obviously more relevant.

We can no longer have a Christmas tree of any sort now...the first year we had our cat we ended up taking the tree down after one day as he was constantly trying to get to the baubles, tinsel etc and I was worried he was going to choke himself on tinsel anyway.

The second year we thought we were being clever by buying a fibre optic tree which lights up now and again. Wrong! Within two minutes of switching it on the flashing lights caught his attention and he was chewing the ends of the plastic! :eek: We ended up giving that tree to my in-laws...

So now we just don't bother... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I cant have narrow tinsel or ribbons on parcels because my cat Amber chews them. She did pull the tree down the first year but since then has restricted herself to one bauble(all are plastic just in case). One year I having a nice soak in the bath when in strolled Amber with the bauble hanging from her mouth. I looked at her and just said Put it back its not a toy and she walked out. After getting dry and dressed I went bauble hunting and couldnt find the thing anywhere..............until I looked under the tree where she had indeed 'put it back' lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems I am very fortunate, beyond having a sniff (at the fake tree), my cat's shown complete disinterest in the fibre optic lights and baubles

Phew! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    One year I having a nice soak in the bath when in strolled Amber with the bauble hanging from her mouth. I looked at her and just said Put it back its not a toy and she walked out. After getting dry and dressed I went bauble hunting and couldnt find the thing anywhere..............until I looked under the tree where she had indeed 'put it back' lol

awwwwwwww bless her little fluffy paws!!! :D
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Last year I was only 6 months post dumpsville and the kittens were only 6 months old so I didn't have a tree using the excuse to my boys that there was no point as the kittens would destroy it (I was actually far too miserable to want a tree!) This year I'm a bit happier so I would like to have a tree but I have a strong feeling that my Pixie will be removing baubles at top speed. She has a thing about pinching socks out of my 16 year olds drawer at the moment- he keeps finding them out in the garden....
  • FritzFritz Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Seems me and Roooty are in the same boat - we have 2 cats who generally have a sniff at the tree, look at it as if to say 'our humans have lost the plot again' and curl up and go to sleep. Very occasionally, they will have a swipe at a bauble, but only the ones at their head height.

Wrapping paper.... now that's a different story!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I'm considering not having a tree this year because I just know that my kittens will be trying to scale it! And anything hanging they have to grab so tinsel is probably a no no!

I remember one year at my parents house they had lots of the very thin strands of tinsel on their tree. Smokey decided to eat a bit and we noticed her trotting round the house with a bit poking out of her bum! That was the last time they used that type of tinsel!!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My childhood cat ate half our turkey one year :eek:

Mum always does a massive turkey and cooks it on Christmas Eve.

Turkey was left out in pantry covered in masses of foil, several teatowels and the door shut.

Woke up that Christmas morning and eventually found my Snoopy fast asleep on top of the half eaten turkey (still partially covered in foil and teatowels I hasten to add!) :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    both my cats attack the tree every year! It drives me absolutely mad at the time but when i think about it now it makes me smile. Phoebe will climb up the middle of it, till it crashes down. She is the older cat intent on world domination. If i have told her off, she then seems to instruct the younger, more stupid male cat Scholes, to go and mess with it so that while i am destracted by him, she off up the tree again.
    Devious!
    I love wrapping my presents up and putting them under the tree but they unwrap them too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These stories are briliant! This is my first Christmas living with my BF and our two rescue cats who arent really that playful - i'm hoping they wont pull it down but i cant wait to put it up and see their reaction! :D
  • HungryMunchkinHungryMunchkin Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    This is one of the lolest threads I've seen on here the pics of the cats are great.

Mine sit on it, under it and behind it and chase the baubles but don't destroy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My three cats love the christmas tree!

Mojo loves it, he thinks its specially put up for his own especial enjoyment :D All those things to pat with his paw, lots of space to climb, well its just so much fun for him having an indoor tree-shaped play area, and all in the warm too! (we have a pine tree in the garden and he loves to play in it).

Alfie is a little calmer and just likes to sit/sleep under it.

Chester (who is incurably greedy) likes to sniff anything put on the tree in case in turns out to be edible, and he quite enjoys nicking the baubles off it and then chasing them around the room!
  • silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a ' cat ' thread, but what about the dog running off with the presents. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    silkdragon wrote: »
    I know it's a ' cat ' thread, but what about the dog running off with the presents. lol

My parents always had dogs......one year the dog was totally thrilled with his indoor loo........we werent impressed and the pressies thankfully never got put under the tree by Santa....He had the sense to put them on the chairs instead lol
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a 12 week old kitten which we picked up at the weekend. I darent put up a tree this year. When we got the Siamese, she ran up it and it went flying.