Options

Gifts for teachers

MarieHMarieH Posts: 1,016
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Children are both in primary school, and for the past 7 or so years we always buy the teachers a small Christmas present as way of thank you for teaching the children that year.
Each year you see a hundred or so kids each bearing gifts of this kind, mainly a plant,box of chocolates or some sort of smellies. Each teacher gets around 20/30 of these gifts (depending on class sizes)

I always wonder do you suppose they keep them all or pass them on to charity shops?

Do they judge the kids or parents on what the child gives?

I had four teachers to buy for this time and spent £5 per head, is this enough?

Maybe teachers would be best sticking a charity box on reception rather than receiving 20+ boxes of biscuits and sweeties?
What do you buy your children's teachers for Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a primary teacher.

I didn't mind small tokenistic gifts or better still, a picture or card or something made by the child. I'd treasure those.

But i did find parents who spent a bit much or put a lot of thought into it - a little creepy. Esp. them that spent a lot. Except the caretaker's daughter cos he was my colleague and we got on really well, so I didn't mind it that she went to town!

I am on a crafting forum where people post asking about what to knit/sew for their kids' teacher and I'm not popular when I reply - seriously don't put hours of your time into something. It's a bit stalker-esque. Seriously used to freak me out.

I'd buy some card and glitter glue and force Junior to make a card. Those were the gifts I loved. Something actually made by and from the child.

I have been known to give stuff to the charity shop and the chocolates to my own kids rather than risk eating them cos you never know where they've been (whereas my sons don't give a monkey's).
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't usually get anything for the teachers, just a card - however, Mini Deb was diagnosed with diabetes in Sept and her class teacher, headmistress & the TAs looking after her have been really helpful with enabling her schooling to carry on as normal, so I've bought a small box of Thorntons for each of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    A small box of chocolates etc. is more than enough. Please don't spend more than £2/3. I'm a teacher and this is more than I expect from students, it's a nice gesture and you won't be thought of as being mean.
  • Options
    Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be buying either of my sons teachers anything. I don't think that I am being mean. Neither of them have gone over and above their duty as a teacher since September and one of them is positively rude when I try to talk to her.

I have seen a news item today whereby (apparently) the average cost of a gift is about £50! Outrageous!!!
  • Options
    Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, the school wants money off us every week for classroom activities - crafts, stocking and calender making, contributions for school fate, selling raffle tickets for the fate, christmas dinner. Today it is my youngest school disco (in school hours) and they want money from us!

I know I sound like an old scrooge, but I am not - anything but. I am simply fed up with the school treating us parents as cash cows.

If either teacher were doing above and beyond then I would get them a small gift.

I am surprised that the teachers don't have to declare their gifts (I am not sure if they do have to or not), I certainly wouldn't be allowed to accept that many gifts, or expensive gifts without declaring them.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son is having his third Christmas at school this year and I have never bought a present for his teachers. My son gives them a card, but for me to buy a present for each of his two teachers would mean that amount less in his stocking.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some of you see the need to bribe teachers? Do you really think they will then give your child more attention or better grades?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get the occasional gift when I worked in Liverpool. But I was never that certain of its provenance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some of you see the need to bribe teachers? Do you really think they will then give your child more attention or better grades?

LOL its not a bribe its a thank you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus we are talking primary school age, grades dont really come into it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarieH wrote: »
    LOL its not a bribe its a thank you!

If it's out of gratefulness then why do so many think it is obligatory and asking if X is enough?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a nice gesture, children spend a lot of time with their teachers and if they like them, why not?

Something personalised saying thankyou.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    We live in a fairly affluent village, and there is a definite level of competition between the 'alpha-mums' to give the best prezzie to the teacher.

Seems really weird to me. When I was at school in the 70's, any kid giving the teacher a present for Xmas would have been beaten up in the playground by the other kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's out of gratefulness then why do so many think it is obligatory and asking if X is enough?
    Dont want to be seen as a scourge,or the thought that the teacher is thinking why bother :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    We live in a fairly affluent village, and there is a definite level of competition between the 'alpha-mums' to give the best prezzie to the teacher.

Seems really weird to me. When I was at school in the 70's, any kid giving the teacher a present for Xmas would have been beaten up in the playground by the other kids.

I remember taking presents for my teachers in the 80's,so its not a new thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont want to be seen as a scourge,or the thought that the teacher is thinking why bother :o

So it is a bribe and compulsory in some places. That really shouldn't be encouraged.

I can see why you would make a gift to a teacher that had done something extra special like spend extra time to tutor, or help a child over a particular problem but everyone having to keep up with the Jones and give the teacher something sounds like an organised rip off and rather sad for the kid whose parents aren't part of the suck ups or can't afford to keep up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »

It's the same here, I couldn't possibly keep up. As I put in my earlier post, to buy the two presents the money would have to come out of the Santa presents for my son which I don't intend to do.

Giving presents reminds me of the old 'apple for teacher' situation to be teachers pet. I think the best present my son can give his teachers is to be good at school all year and do his best at learning for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    It's the same here, I couldn't possibly keep up. As I put in my earlier post, to buy the two presents the money would have to come out of the Santa presents for my son which I don't intend to do.

Giving presents reminds me of the old 'apple for teacher' situation to be teachers pet. I think the best present my son can give his teachers is to be good at school all year and do his best at learning for them.

I like this :):)
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they judge the kids or parents on what the child gives?

If they do they're not really someone worth considering to give a gift to at all.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have died of embarrassment if my parents had given me something to give to a teacher. Also, as the poster above said, I would have been soundly beaten up for being such a wuss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    I would have died of embarrassment if my parents had given me something to give to a teacher. Also, as the poster above said, I would have been soundly beaten up for being such a wuss.

Then maybe it goes to show such bullying at school is on the decine!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think an inexpensive box of chocolates should be appropriate, you don't have to spend a lot. it's the thought that counts really.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    when my daughter was still in primary she would give the teacher a diary..she wouldn't give her teachers now the time of day (she's 15 lol)
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Class A drugs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in my younger days I used to share a house with a primary school teacher, she used to get loads of chocolates and bath stuff from the kids which were then given out to friends. How many women really want to work their way through 20 odd boxes of chocolates when they are hitting the diets in the new year? lol.

If a child really wants to give something like that to their teacher, how about actually making some themselves like mint creams, coconut ice etc that are very easy and would be more special.