Alternative Christmas Day Pudding

OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any ideas for guests who wont eat the traditional pudding. Something quick, easy, cheapish, chocolatey if possible?

I was thinking of a trifle or a chocolate caramel style trifle. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes do a sort of Carribean fruit pudding which takes minutes in the microwave.

I peel and slice a couple of big juicy oranges, a couple of slices of pineapple (tinned is fine), a sliced banana or 2, a few sultanas or raisins, a sprinkle of dessicated coconut and trickle some honey over and a squirt or 2 of lemon juice.

I do these straight into individual dishes. Microwave on full for a minute. stir and check temp and another minute if necessary. It needs to be warm and served immediately.

Put a blob of fresh cream, brandy sauce, creme fraiche (whatever you fancy really) and then sprinkle bits of Flake bar or white chocolate over that! Yum and very quick!:)
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    Any ideas for guests who wont eat the traditional pudding. Something quick, easy, cheapish, chocolatey if possible?

I was thinking of a trifle or a chocolate caramel style trifle. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

I make a blueberry trifle which is really yummy - line a bowl with torn up blueberry muffins, cook a couple of punnets of blueberries in some creme de cassis with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and water until the berries have popped and collapsed. Leave to cool and drizzle the berries and sauce all over the muffins.

Top with custard, then whipped cream and decorate with more blueberries and shaved chocolate.

Otherwise, a home made cheesecake? There are loads of chocolate cheesecake recipes around?
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing this Christmas day as no one like Christmas pudding in our house.

Buy a ready made flan case from any supermarkets. Whisk double cream until fluffy, stir in about a quarter of creme fraiche, the ratio to the double cream. Sweeten with icing sugar, to your taste.

Spread strawberry jam, I like to use conserve, at the bottom of flan case, slap on cream mixture, decorate with sliced strawberries.

I've already got my ingredients ready, I hate buying strawberries in winter, but I'll make this one exception.

I know it's not chocolatey! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of us eat Christmas pudding so I usually make some type of cheesecake, I went with my inner laziness this year and bought a tarte au chocolat from waitrose:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pasodaisy wrote: »
    None of us eat Christmas pudding so I usually make some type of cheesecake, I went with my inner laziness this year and bought a tarte au chocolat from waitrose:o
    Just make sure you got the double cream and ice cream to go with it.

Dust a little icing sugar on top to personalise it ;)
  • ejakejak Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make panna cotta's with a fruit coulis, so easy to do and can be done a day in advance. :) everyone seems to prefer these to the heavy rich christmas pud.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    A good trifle with a generous helping of sherry sounds best to me
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ejak wrote: »
    I make panna cotta's with a fruit coulis, so easy to do and can be done a day in advance. :) everyone seems to prefer these to the heavy rich christmas pud.

I've just seen the wonderful Ramsay making a Panna cotta with pomegranate glaze on Channel 4 but annoyingly (and this really gets on my nerves) he wasn't specific about the type of cream or milk he used.

So my question is... whipped cream or double cream? Or are they practically the same?

And does it matter if I use skimmed milk or do I need full fat?

May sound like daft questions to a foodie but I'm clueless when it comes to deserts and need those specifics!

Thank you :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I get some luxury mixed fruit,some orange juice,a tsp of mixed spice,some stem ginger and some ground almonds and blitz it in the food processor.

Then I scoop it out into a bowl and let it harden in the fridge for an hour or so.

I take it and scoop it into little balls. If you fancy it, you can put marzipan around them and some icing sugar but I prefer them plain.

The taste of a Christmas pudding without the suet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a "set" Rum & Raisin chocolate ganache type thing with vanilla & triple choc ice cream once.

I would ask for the recipe, but the person died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a "set" Rum & Raisin chocolate ganache type thing with vanilla & triple choc ice cream once.

I would ask for the recipe, but the person died.

Rum Raisin Truffle Recipe:

Truffes au rhum et aux raisins secs…

Ingredients (for about 11/2 pounds):

1 cup Crème Fraîche (or heavy cream)
    14 oz. Dark Chocolate (use very high quality, 70% cocoa, chocolate - or very high quality unsweetened baking chocolate.)
    8 oz. Additional Dark Chocolate
    11/2 cups Cocoa Powder (the highest quality you can find)
    1 cup Raisins
    1/2 cup Rum
    3 tbsp. Butter (optional)

How to Make It:

Batter (Ganache):

1. Soak raisins in the rum in a small bowl for 2 hours. Make sure that the rum covers the raisins.
    2. Drain raisins and absorb extra liquid by wrapping them briefly in a paper towel.
    3. Break chocolate into small pieces and put in a large bowl.
    4. Bring cream slowly to a light boil.
    5. Pour boiling cream over chocolate and keep stirring until all the chocolate has melted and the batter is homogenous.
    6. Stir raisins into warm ganache.
    7. If you want to add butter, do so now, before the batter cools, and thickens.

This batter is called Ganache and is the base for all French chocolate truffle recipes!

When the ganache is warm it is very creamy. You can thicken it
    1. by whisking it (the oxygen causes it to thicken) or
    2. by putting it in the refrigerator.

You want the ganache to be just thick enough to easily form the truffle balls…

Forming Truffles:

1. Using two spoons (or a baking sac) form even and round balls. Place them on parchment or wax paper.
    2. Melt the rest of the chocolate in a bain-marie (double-boiler).
    3. Dip each ball in the melted chocolate and then roll it in the coffee powder.
    Voilà!

Serving Ideas:

If you prefer to make this rum raisin truffles recipe with milk chocolate, go right ahead and substitute using the same quantities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my ! thanks for that...it didn`t even occur to me to look for anything online (I hate cooking so don`t bother with recipes etc)

I`ve saved those instructions !! :D

It looks like it could be something very similar, if not the same kind of thing looking at the ingredients - I`m not cooking friendly, but am not a total idiot and can get an idea of what something would be like.

My sister doesn`t mind spending more than 10 mins in the kitchen.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My flatmate is making this James Martin calorie-fest. As I work in town I was tasked with the job of looking for some suitable caramels to decorate the torte with..ofcourse, I had to taste test :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my ! thanks for that...it didn`t even occur to me to look for anything online (I hate cooking so don`t bother with recipes etc)

I`ve saved those instructions !! :D

It looks like it could be something very similar, if not the same kind of thing looking at the ingredients - I`m not cooking friendly, but am not a total idiot and can get an idea of what something would be like.

My sister doesn`t mind spending more than 10 mins in the kitchen.

Offer to do some ironing for your sister and hopefully she'll offer to make you some! :D

As for the ice cream, that can come from a supermarket!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut merigune with whipped cream and raspberries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like mango pudding. If no pudding, Tiramisu is also fine.:D
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Walls Romantica today, was beauutiful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make a blueberry trifle which is really yummy - line a bowl with torn up blueberry muffins, cook a couple of punnets of blueberries in some creme de cassis with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and water until the berries have popped and collapsed. Leave to cool and drizzle the berries and sauce all over the muffins.

Top with custard, then whipped cream and decorate with more blueberries and shaved chocolate.

Otherwise, a home made cheesecake? There are loads of chocolate cheesecake recipes around?

Just so you know.....I am going to do this!

Great idea!
  • anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I ended up doing brandy baskets filled with sweetened double cream and topped with chopped Persimmons - went down extremely well :)