Options

Golf 2014

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end coming down the back 9, pars are often enough, particularly with his length on the final hole going to be a factor.

If he just keeps on hitting those long straight drives takes so much pressure off him.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he didn't find the fairway there, but did okay out of the bunker. You feel Fowler or Phil are going to need an eagle at the last now.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant birdie. That should do it.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    2 shot lead. I think that virtually seals it. The boy is a genius
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant from McIlroy - 2 clear and he will see exactly what the group in front do at the last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just needs a par up the last to win the 2014 Sports Personality award. :)
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory McIlory is going to go down as the greatest British sportsman ever at this rate. If gets 10 majors or more, especially if matches Woods or Nicklaus which I'm sure even to his biggest critics must admit he has a chance now, the case will be closed as far as I'm considered.

Apart from Phil Taylor in darts, there hasn't been a British sportsman who's torn up a incredibly popular sport like Golf in long long time.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Darts isn't a sport though: it's a game ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick it up and come back tomorrow Rory. ;)
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick it up and come back tomorrow Rory. ;)

Pick up the trophy and go home.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only question for Rory is he doesn't get bored and lose his focus, doesn't work as hard etc, that shouldn't happen, but he has proven that his capable to go astray if his heads not right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Warren made the top 15 for the 2nd year running.

Lee Westwood's decent week and finish to last week's WGC will probably get him his ticket to Gleneagles.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory has equaled ernies four majors then, that is how impressive achievement it is. Gutted for phil, i will always cheer for him to win in every tournement
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great tournament finished in a pretty unsatisfactory manner. It is shaping up to be a very entertaining period in the modern game. Rory won't win everything but he certainly has put a lot of demons to bed this past month. He may have wobbled today but with the quality of his drives and irons on the back nine he deserved the victory.

Quite interesting how the American broadcasters have been looking for a new star to replace Tiger but have decided if they can't get an American to do the job then they better put their might behind Rory.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 25 and with 4 majors already McIlroy has the world at his feet. The suggestion is that his much publicised relationship break up has made him single minded with his game-and it does seem to be the case. To come through with the powerhouse combination of Mickelson, Fowler and the crowd breathing down his neck will only serve to make him even more difficult to beat. Its a long stretch to the next major, but McIlroy can bask in the glory and confidence of winning the last two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The grand slam (holding all 4 majors at once) which Tiger infamously did in 00'-01' is not out of the question now either.

The masters and US Open are 8 and 10 months away however, he needs to keep his focus.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Northern Ireland golf capital of the world.

Woop!
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fell asleep so didm't see the end:o

Just caught up with it on SSN

Looked an exciting run-in
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Rory McIlory is going to go down as the greatest British sportsman ever at this rate. If gets 10 majors or more, especially if matches Woods or Nicklaus which I'm sure even to his biggest critics must admit he has a chance now, the case will be closed as far as I'm considered.

Apart from Phil Taylor in darts, there hasn't been a British sportsman who's torn up a incredibly popular sport like Golf in long long time.

Ifs, buts and maybes. It was only in May that McIlroy won his first tour event for 18 months so to start quoting Nicklaus/Woods type numbers at this stage is daft.

Yes he's hit form and when he does he's as good as anyone in the world. But golf is a game where the sand can shift very quickly. Mr Woods is testament to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes he's hit form and when he does he's as good as anyone in the world. But golf is a game where the sand can shift very quickly. Mr Woods is testament to that.

McIlroy's swing looks a lot more gentler on his body than Woods's one who he looks like he's thrashing at it, no wonder he's had the amount of injuries he's had.

I have no idea how many he will win but you cannot deny now that he has the potential to win as many as Woods/Nicklaus, very possible now.

Lets be honest you'd be completely shocked if he didn't win a single major next year.

Some odds from PaddyPower

To win more majors than Tiger Woods 2/1
    To win more majors than Jack Nicklaus 4/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/golf/rory-mcilroy-specials - pretty damn short. :p
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that a player can't just win a major and everyone is happy about it, without the discussing having to shift to 'how many more' they are going to win and if they will break someone else's record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's a shame that a player can't just win a major and everyone is happy about it, without the discussing having to shift to 'how many more' they are going to win and if they will break someone else's record.

Yeah soz I know I'm going on about too much now, its just been in my head since I first suggested it back in 2011. I have my opinion and everyone else has there's just leave it at that.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ifs, buts and maybes. It was only in May that McIlroy won his first tour event for 18 months so to start quoting Nicklaus/Woods type numbers at this stage is daft.

He does seem to be a streak player, 2013 was a barren year but when in form he is unbeatable.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Yeah soz I know I'm going on about too much now, its just been in my head since I first suggested it back in 2011. I have my opinion and everyone else has there's just leave it at that.

I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular, and it's definitely not just you who does it.

That kind of thing is particularly bad on tennis forums, where as soon as anyone wins a major, some fans of certain multi-major winners like to point out that they'll never beat a particular record.

SPOTY is another one. It's a lovely evening in the lead up to Christmas, and a great prize for the trophy cabinet, but some folk (Gary Lineker, I'm looking at you) try to relate every sporting success back to it, as if it's more important. :confused:

I can see Rory winning a lot more, but I think we all need to appreciate how big this is, just for the sake of winning it. :)
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gutted for big Phil :cry:

I so enjoy watching his game and the way he gets himself out of trouble and produces shots out of nothing situations. He had a brilliant go at it though so good on him.

Rory just goes marching on, 3 and counting ...