Scottish Football Ratings Battle

Spencer_PryorSpencer_Pryor Posts: 74
Forum Member
Nice wee coup for Eklipse Sports Radio tonight on the Bill Young Football Forum - a 40 minute live exclusive interview with Rangers manager Ally McCoist. Definite feather in Eklipse's cap as Coisty is very sparing with his on-air interviews, and won't talk to certain stations at all. I expect tomorrow's papers will be lifting quotes ad hoc!

Over at Peter and Roughie's Football show, some old journo hack from one of the papers - Clyde Superscoreboard didn't even bother to tune in.... Eklipse do seem to be getting the big name managers on air almost every night.

With the news that Eklipse have secured commentary rights to some of the larger Junior games this season - those of you who know Scottish football know that the Ayrshire 'Kicking lumps out of each other Derbys' get bigger crowds and more fanatical following than a lot of the SPFL major clubs - Game On as they say!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Nice wee coup for Eklipse Sports Radio tonight on the Bill Young Football Forum - a 40 minute live exclusive interview with Rangers manager Ally McCoist. Definite feather in Eklipse's cap as Coisty is very sparing with his on-air interviews, and won't talk to certain stations at all. I expect tomorrow's papers will be lifting quotes ad hoc!

Over at Peter and Roughie's Football show, some old journo hack from one of the papers - Clyde Superscoreboard didn't even bother to tune in.... Eklipse do seem to be getting the big name managers on air almost every night.

With the news that Eklipse have secured commentary rights to some of the larger Junior games this season - those of you who know Scottish football know that the Ayrshire 'Kicking lumps out of each other Derbys' get bigger crowds and more fanatical following than a lot of the SPFL major clubs - Game On as they say!

Never heard of Eklipse.

....and as for the Juniors you are talking shite and I say that as someone who watches them every week.
  • VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    ....and as for the Juniors you are talking shite and I say that as someone who watches them every week.
    Then I recommend your weekly watch be expanded to include the pitched battle that is Hurlford v Cumnock. You could play that fixture without the ball and and it is far and away the most entertaining 90 minutes of cold-feet footy this side of the infrequent Ayr Utd v Killie derbies.

I had a browse on Eklipse's website a few months back, when it was little more than a placeholder. Glad to see they're on their feet and look forward to listening this year. Nice to have a challenger to TalkSPORT Scotland.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about Youth Football Scotland? - We do live commentaries on big junior games and Under's Scotland Internationals throughout the season too - where are we in the "ratings battle?!" :p:D
  • cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, Eklipse don't have the TV exposure that Peter & Roughie's Football Show has, 30 minutes each weeknight plus repeat gets your name out there.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had also never heard of this DAB station until the other month. I have not really listened to this station much.

Darren
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Spencer, Good to hear from you on here again.

As you know the meat and drink of radio is what it does during the weekday as that's where the ratings are. Weekend sports content and big interviews are the icing on the gingerbread.

So I will tell you for free that my love for Eklipse Sports Radio is mainly during the weekday. I love the station to bits and put it on during the weekday once I'm up and about as I love the tunes, the presenters, and the rolling minute-to-minute updates with the clips and the 20.20 updates.

This Tuesday for example I start work at 4 but when I get out of bed it is Eklipse I will put on when getting ready as it is on your station I will hear the latest updates on Celtic's preparations for their match within a few mins of me putting you on.

Of an evening I prefer your Football Forum to Clyde 1's show as you offer in-depth expert analysis, as opposed to Clyde where it's just the punters saying the same old things on the phones on repeat.

I sadly find myself tuning away from Eklipse when the games are happening at the weekend though. Reason being I find the playing of music then an irritant. i just want constant ball-by-ball reaction, not 'Celtic are 1-0 down but time for a track from 'The Who'.

Why not try something different and create a show based around rolling musical backing beds that change according to the results, say? Just something different and a bit spicy. Just have banks of instumental music that change according to the ebb and flow of results and the guys talk over it or let it flow for a minute or two.
  • Spencer_PryorSpencer_Pryor Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hi Spencer, Good to hear from you on here again.

. I love the station to bits and put it on during the weekday once I'm up and about as I love the tunes, the presenters, and the rolling minute-to-minute updates with the clips and the 20.20 updates.

This Tuesday for example I start work at 4 but when I get out of bed it is Eklipse I will put on when getting ready as it is on your station I will hear the latest updates on Celtic's preparations for their match within a few mins of me putting you on.

Of an evening I prefer your Football Forum to Clyde 1's show as you offer in-depth expert analysis, as opposed to Clyde where it's just the punters saying the same old things on the phones on repeat.

Thanks John, the £5 note is in the post! Just a shame you don't fill in a RAJAR diary!!
    I sadly find myself tuning away from Eklipse when the games are happening at the weekend though. Reason being I find the playing of music then an irritant. i just want constant ball-by-ball reaction, not 'Celtic are 1-0 down but time for a track from 'The Who'.

Why not try something different and create a show based around rolling musical backing beds that change according to the results, say? Just something different and a bit spicy. Just have banks of instumental music that change according to the ebb and flow of results and the guys talk over it or let it flow for a minute or two.

It's a bit to do with broadcast rights - we only have SPFL news access rights which means we can't do 'live' reporting whilst the games are in play - hence lots of half time and full time round ups, but play tracks from The Who (Other excellent rock bands are available) during the afternoon whilst the games are in progress.

Quite like your idea about music beds though.... Let me have a think!
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know when Clyde lost the commentary rights to the Beeb 10 years ago they were worried about how it would play out but for me its actually an improvement as I prefer the moment-to-moment punditry. Rangers go 1-0 down then a few mins of hand-wringing about what this will mean for Ally before Rangers come back and score 2 or 3. Love that stuff.

Of course Clyde's football team are dyed-in-the wool football men with considerable professional experience of the game itself mostly and Hugh Keevins who inflates the slightset setback into a full blown crisis for a club. But it's just showbiz.

Bill Young is great at this stuff too so no reason why Eklipse can't have a bit of the 'agent provocateur' approach to its weekend content.