Options

Am I the only person who likes The new Doctor

David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
Forum Member
Judging by the comments on The official Doctor Who Facebook page this has to be one of the most disliked version of The character so far

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love him. And I've read alot of comments from those who don't like Moffat who are warming to the show again because of Capaldi. Of course some will complain. He wont be for everyone. But come on! Capaldi has been very well received generally so no. You're far from alone.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he really found his feet tonight and was excellent, giving the doctor something new. They cannot all be the same.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all - Capaldi seems very popular.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Doctor has never been one for officialdom
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately the current Doctor is being written as a demented geriatric who has to be accompanied by Clara on his days out from the rest home. I take exception to the way Clara has as much, if not more, to do in the episodes than the Doctor himself.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who likes The new Doctor
    David_H_93 wrote: »
    Judging by the comments on The official Doctor Who Facebook page this has to be one of the most disliked version of The character so far

I have always liked Dr Who.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »

No, that would be Colin Baker... :D

Seriously, every new doctor throughout the show's history has had to contend with fans who preferred the previous doctor.

There are a fair few people with an agenda. They don't like Moffat, they believe he's "ruining" Doctor Who, and so they would hate the new doctor whoever he was. There are also a few who believe that the template of the Doctor is David Tennant and Matt Smith - they forget that Doctor Who existed long before either the 10th or 11th Doctors.

But I would say that the majority of fans tend to get behind the incumbant and end up missing him badly when he himself eventually leaves.

I, for one, love Capaldi's Doctor. He's clearly a work in progress and we'll be seeing a lot more development over the coming years. But I already love his authority and gravitas and his world-weary cynicism.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi seems very popular on this forum.

I love him, especially after tonight's episode, which I thought he excelled in.

(I loved Matt as well).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the current Doctor is being written as a demented geriatric who has to be accompanied by Clara on his days out from the rest home. I take exception to the way Clara has as much, if not more, to do in the episodes than the Doctor himself.

Do you not think the character will develop over the course of the series and beyond? Would you reasonably expect to have seen the full characterisation of the 12th Doctor in just three episodes??
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him!!
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Adored Matt, and have loved Peter pretty much from the start.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the exact same attitude towards Matt Smith when he was on the show. And also with David Tennant. And it will be the same with the next Doctor, and so on.

People just seem to enjoy complaining and a lot of them find frustration at the fact that not everybody agrees with them and that the show is actually doing very well, contrary to what they say about it going downhill and on its way to death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I am a big fan of Capaldi as the Doctor. He is definitely one of my favourites. Possibly even my absolute favourite of them all.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt sailed into my top 5 Doctors about a third of the way through his first Series. Really liking Peter C so far so will see how he sits in my geeky list over the coming weeks!
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capaldi is excellent and his performance in tonight's episode fabulous.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Do you not think the character will develop over the course of the series and beyond? Would you reasonably expect to have seen the full characterisation of the 12th Doctor in just three episodes??

I would hope he develops otherwise its bad writing and bad acting if not...

But to me, inside three episode we saw quite a few sides to Matt's Doctor and with Chris' Doctor. Can't really remember with David, but Doc's 9 and 11 certainly were varied in their opening three adventures.

Peter has been grumpy, shouty and just plain rude. That's all I've got from him in three episodes anyway. It's not a lot of variety in my books...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    I would hope he develops otherwise its bad writing and bad acting if not...

But to me, inside three episode we saw quite a few sides to Matt's Doctor and with Chris' Doctor. Can't really remember with David, but Doc's 9 and 11 certainly were varied in their opening three adventures.

Peter has been grumpy, shouty and just plain rude. That's all I've got from him in three episodes anyway. It's not a lot of variety in my books...

You could just as well say that all Matt Smith did in his first three episodes was run around, waves his arms and be 'zany and eccentric'.

In reality, I would say we've seen plenty of variety from Capaldi already, just as we did from Smith.
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    If you really think about it some episodes in David Tennant first series wasn't that great like New Earth, Love and Monsters, Fear Her which are poor and throw in an average one like The Idiots Lantern I can't believe people are hating the new series but there's been much worst episodes in the past from one of the most poplaur Doctor's I think people need to know that not every single episode is going to be great
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person who likes The new Doctor?

No
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching when Matt was made the Doctor. I love the fact they have an older actor in the role. Since when was Doctor Who eye candy? I'm also pleased they've got rid of the stupid love interest story lines. Matt whatsisname turned Doctor Who into a buffon. It's nice to see Doctor Who as he should be, older. LIke they did in the days of Patrick Troughton, William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker and Sylvestor McCoy.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how the Doctor is being portrayed by Capaldi. His voice has the same tone & authority as Tom Baker's Doctor & he's the favourite of the old timers. I'll be honest, I didn't like the first episode of series 8 & thought it could have done without the 'boing!' Sound as he fell out the tree etc, but I can't fault Capaldi.

He's darker, more dangerous & I love the interaction with Clara. I've a feeling that Capaldi may produce an outstanding Dr Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I am really loving Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor Who!

Tonite's episode of Robot of Sherwood was my favorite so far. Loved it.

For me I don't think I like Capaldi's Doctor because he is "older" but I just think Capaldi carries it off so well. He is an awesome actor and I think he would have been an amazing Doctor Who at any age!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of when I asked if I was the only person who liked Donna Noble, and got a good forum slapping for being thick! I expect there's still an outraged Tumblr element who don't want to organize OTP's for a 50-something, (though if the show does want to bring romance back into it again he and River would look way better than River and 11) but actually I discovered there's quite a strong core of support for him there too. He's such a good actor that anyone who can't come round to him should really just bugger off. There are plenty of pretty boy shows on Netflix.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think those who don't like Capaldi are in the minority and it only seems like they are in the majority because every other thread is complaining about Capaldi (yes I'm exaggerating) and I would suspect at least some of those do actually like him and are just trolling. I love Capaldi he's finally breaking the mold that was being set by Matt and David and to a lesser extent Ecclestone. He's no longer prancing about everywhere and "getting with the ladies" like Matt and David did, he's a refreshing break from what we've had. We've got someone who's finally exploring the character not just running around, grinning like a maniac and making a fool of himself. He is exploring the very nature of who he is. It's riveting stuff I think, and that's despite the scripts not being as good as they could be even though I have enjoyed all 3 episodes so far and very much looking forward to Listen next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member

I said in the Robots of Sherwood thread that he was (imo) like Victor Meldrew - except 'One Foot in the Grave' was far better at humour. Painfully unfunny shrieking at a potential robot Robin Hood in the cell was not the mature, cool-headed Doctor we were promised, it's not even like it helped at all - he didn't learn anything from it - and neither did we. The Baddie had to explain things to him! Once the guard said he had to take the ringleader, who (except the Doctor) couldn't guess he'd be going for the only grown-up in the Cell? Gravitas shouldn't be limited to the serious episodes - it should be maintained as part of his character, no matter how much everyone is chewing the scenery around him. Pertwee would have played the scene and delivered those lines far less hysterically - so Gatiss can't take (all) the blame - it's apparently how Twelve acts when frustrated.

Another problem is that Victor Meldrew was 90% of the time laughed at rather than with. His saving grace was the tenderness of the relationship with his (very) long suffering wife, who was the one the audience emphasised with - not least because she had to put up with him. As someone who doesn't like Clara, that also affects my opinion of Twelve. I don't care about Sassy Cypher and Grumpy Cypher at the moment.

Still, it's only been three episodes. I was watching a truly silly episode of Who on Watch this week, with Colin Baker's Doctor, the Master and the Rani. For all his pomposity, Six's relationship with Peri was warm enough, even if fuelled by a lot of eye rolling on her part. He came across as far less grouchy than Twelve. That could all change, however.