players who should never have left their boyhood club

2»

Comments

• Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne Rooney. He was at his best at Everton. A terribly inconsistent player for the majority of his time at Utd.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney. He was at his best at Everton. A terribly inconsistent player for the majority of his time at Utd.

No doubt he spends many nights sobbing over it, wetting his Premier League and Champions League winner medals and who knows how many millions with his tears.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Referees can decide individual games, not 38 in a row.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense to suggest the best team always wins the league. I have seen referees decide that title more than once.

The European Cup is won by legends. Madrid, Milan, Liverpool,Bayern,Ajax,Barcelona aren`t at the top of the winners list by accident.:)

No you really have not.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense to suggest the best team always wins the league. I have seen referees decide that title more than once.

The European Cup is won by legends. Madrid, Milan, Liverpool,Bayern,Ajax,Barcelona aren`t at the top of the winners list by accident.:)

Dear me, what rubbish.

Bradford got to the League Cup final, the year before last. Were they the second best team in it? Referees are far more likely to influence success in a cup competition than a league campaign.

His goal-scoring record suggests otherwise.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not his boyhood club, but seeing Raul playing for anyone but Real Madrid is still a bit strange as I still associate him with that club, the same goes for Del Piero and Juventus.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I can see why Dub says what he does about referees but I don't think he is right.

I think he maybe recalls games near the end of a season involving contenders where a big call by a ref has helped team X win a game and hence win the PL. - so he then thinks the ref has decided the title. But what he is not taking into consideration is that there were 37 other games too and in them team X may have had other calls go against them. I am a firm believer that over the season more often than not decisions even themselves out. Whereas in cups if team Y gets a decision for them and team Z their opponents then go out then that's it for team Z, They have no way of recovering in cups unlike the league and so for this reason I agree with those who say that refs more influence cups than leagues
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen won a Premier League winners' medal, at United. So, it wasn't a terrible move for him.

It didn't turn out to be a good move for him overall though I'd say. One season at RM, I could be mistaken but I dont think they won anything that season then to Newcastle, then to be a bench warmer at Man Utd. Overall I'm not sure it turned out to be a brilliant move for him.

His version of events are that he always planned on returning to Liverpool after a year but RM wanted double what they paid us so we werent interested hence he ended up at Newcastle.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    David Rocastle. Went downhill from the moment he left Arsenal.

Pushed out by George Graham.

Rocastle said Graham pulled him to one side out of the blue at training and said, "I've had an offer for you from Leeds United and I've accepted it."

RIP Rocky.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Malbren wrote: »
    It didn't turn out to be a good move for him overall though I'd say. One season at RM, I could be mistaken but I dont think they won anything that season then to Newcastle, then to be a bench warmer at Man Utd. Overall I'm not sure it turned out to be a brilliant move for him.

His version of events are that he always planned on returning to Liverpool after a year but RM wanted double what they paid us so we werent interested hence he ended up at Newcastle.

Lets not forget Owen scored a lot of goals in la liga and wasn't a flop as some suggest. Plus Owens career was pretty much over after his injury in an England kit. The biggest gripe is if liverpool hadn't pushed him too hard at the beginning of his professional career his hamstring might of lasted a lot longer.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Owen won a Premier League winners' medal, at United. So, it wasn't a terrible move for him.

I'll always love him for that winner vs. City. Absolutely sensational.

The year he won that medal he had less match time than Jon Flanagan. Who made his debut in April. Yet if Flanagan had been on the team he wouldn't have won a medal.

I actually didn't get too bothered about Owen moving to United, think it was a bad move for him ahead of the world cup though, he'd have gotten more playing time at Stoke or Hull.

Hate him for trying to screw the club over by running down his contract, he was "signing a new contract" every week for the last 18 months of Houllier's tenure.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    The year he won that medal he had less match time than Jon Flanagan. Who made his debut in April. Yet if Flanagan had been on the team he wouldn't have won a medal.

I actually didn't get too bothered about Owen moving to United, think it was a bad move for him ahead of the world cup though, he'd have gotten more playing time at Stoke or Hull.

Hate him for trying to screw the club over by running down his contract, he was "signing a new contract" every week for the last 18 months of Houllier's tenure.

But he was so broken by that stage if he had played more for Hull or somebody else he would of just ended up injured again more often .
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll always love him for that winner vs. City. Absolutely sensational.

Although it didn't have quite the same effect as the Giggsy goal against Arsenal success wise, it was up there with the never get tired of watching it moments. :cool:
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you stumbled across RAWK yet?

They post plenty of like minded gems like that.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you stumbled across RAWK yet?

They post plenty of like minded gems like that.

Only in the past two years, in the protest days they were one of the best around, now most of the decent mods have gone.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Gascoigne. Once he was blinded by the bright lights of the big time he was on a self destruct mission. Such a shame.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Eadie. Huge player for Norwich in the nineties on the wing. Was named in an England squad for a summer tournament but had to pull out as he got injured (Norwich were in the second division at the time).

He suffered a few injuries whilst with us but after he left us to join Leicester his career was ruined by injuries. He was signed by Martin O'Neill who had managed him at the Canaries, incidentally.
    Darren Eadie was forced into early retirement through injury. I'm sure he could have been an England international but for all injuries.
    He is now one of the main presenters on Mustard TV (local TV station in Norwich) and has often been a football analyst on Radio Norfolk, as well as the regional TV highlights show.

Incidentally, his wife is gorgeous and has won awards for lots of charitable work.

All this despite being from Chippenham near Bristol originally. He was a youth player at Norwich City though. A lot of people think he originates from Norfolk - but then a lot of people can't tell the difference between a Norfolk and a West Country accent!
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Lets not forget Owen scored a lot of goals in la liga and wasn't a flop as some suggest.

When did 13 goals become "a lot"?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    When did 13 goals become "a lot"?

I wouldn't use the words 'a lot' as 13 clearly isn't a lot. But he only played 36 games so while he was fit he had a decent return.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you only start 20 games, 13 goals is a lot.