Options

Can't stand the melodramatic tears whenever it's 'letters from home

Comments

• Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    I'm glad you got an informed response. The only ones I remember from BB1 are Nick, Mel, Craig, and Marjorie!

My kids were much younger then, so I could only give it very occasional and cursory attention.

I am pretty sure the Nicola you guys are talking about was series 2 (or even 3??) but definitely not 1. The people in the first series were a lot more staid and, not having any idea if anyone was even watching because BB was at the experimental stage, gave us none of the antics of later series when we got the "fame" hungry exhibitionists. Cue Nicola!
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the need on civilian, but on cbb really????

They're celebs they're away from there families for much longer periods than 3 weeks. If anything was wrong at home they would inform them, it's melodramatics that much is obvious.
  • Options
    PeterWDPeterWD Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    have to say i'd rather they let them have knitting needles and a guitar!

That could be a bit risky. A guitar can be used to whack someone over the head, and knitting needles can be damaging weapons. They should not be put in the hands of hungry, frustrated and bad-tempered celeb HMs. ;-)
  • Options
    rachael7rachael7 Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh no i feel awful now, don't force yourself to study Ricci no deserves such torture!!!!
    mmm penguins.....one of the other posters recommended Racer bars and now i have a severe addiction :(

Oh thanks ever so! I must admit the very thought of watching Ricci has already had a detrimental effect, without realising i appear to have made a ligature out of my tights.
    I'll watch him through my fingers, sparingly.

Never heard of Racer bars, are they big?
    I like penguins because they don't seem to have shrunk like many other brands, i hate biscuits that should be big made small >:(
  • Options
    eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the Nicola you guys are talking about was series 2 (or even 3??) but definitely not 1. The people in the first series were a lot more staid and, not having any idea if anyone was even watching because BB was at the experimental stage, gave us none of the antics of later series when we got the "fame" hungry exhibitionists. Cue Nicola!

You're most likely correct. Most of BB specifics get merged into a big mush at the back of my long- term memory.

I usually only remember the exceptionally funny bits - and even then my recall is quite often distorted.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

thanks to dome i can say:
    nope nicola holt was definitely series 1 i remember clearly them all getting naked and getting covered in either paint or clay and making arty shapes on the walls of the house with their bodies.....i remember distinctly a naked Craig (eventual winner) carrying a naked Nicola (evicted 4th)...

and HERE she is in her eviction outfit which was knitted during the series

people forget about series one actually having quite a lot of "antics"

FOR RACHAEL7:
    Racer Bars are at Aldi come in a packet of 6 (i think) and are like Snickers they are smaller than Snickers but you get 6 for the price of 1 Snickers Bar so they are a bargain...and i may say absolutely delicious!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks to dome i can say:
    nope nicola holt was definitely series 1 i remember clearly them all getting naked and getting covered in either paint or clay and making arty shapes on the walls of the house with their bodies.....i remember distinctly a naked Craig (eventual winner) carrying a naked Nicola (evicted 4th)...

and HERE she is in her eviction outfit which was knitted during the series

people forget about series one actually having quite a lot of "antics"!

Aaagggh! I stand corrected! I honestly did not remember her being in the same house as Craig and Nick, etc. You are right, though - series 1 is remembered by most for being very pedestrian. Was discussing the same with a friend only recently.

And apologies for getting that so wrong, eva_prior.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Aaagggh! I stand corrected! I honestly did not remember her being in the same house as Craig and Nick, etc. You are right, though - series 1 is remembered by most for being very pedestrian. Was discussing the same with a friend only recently.

no worries i could picture it so clearly but her name was lost to me....that's one of things i like about the forum someone always knows!!!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    They need to grow up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No apologies needed in this direction - you're in kindred company with me!!

I didn't even have a clue who, when, where Nicola the knitter was in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no worries i could picture it so clearly but her name was lost to me....that's one of things i like about the forum someone always knows!!!!:D

Thanks again. I could picture her clearly too, just not in that particular house :blush:
    You live and learn (on here!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    No apologies needed in this direction - you're in kindred company with me!!

Ha ha, but I made myself sound so knowledgeable :blush:

Do you remember that Helen Wood in series 2? (I am kidding now!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also cannot stand the cringe fest that is letters from home. The way they act you'd think they were in the military or something :confused: pure hysteria!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, but I made myself sound so knowledgeable :blush:

Do you remember that Helen Wood in series 2? (I am kidding now!)

Phew - Thank God for the brackets.

*rushes to reinstate AKFE as my phone a friend on my 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' application.*
  • Options
    Stone_AngelStone_Angel Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I can see the need on civilian, but on cbb really????

Totally agree.. if it's tonight we have to endure this yawnfest, I'm glad because I am recording it and can utilise my fast-forward option!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

Nicola was far from staid she started the naked pottery session with them all covering themselves with it and throwing themselves at the wall and each other.

BB1 was far racier than many of the later series, topless sunbathing, wandering about naked was the norm.
  • Options
    KT_DogKT_Dog Posts: 6,385
    Forum Member
    You say its melodramatic, but I challenge you not to be moved to tears when you see the heartfelt letter that Ricci received from his twin brother (known in the family as the 'intelligent one')

http://www.distractify.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/01/62-620x.jpg
  • Options
    JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a vote on the app re who do you want to receive a letter. I chose Gary. So does that mean they all did. I don't get it. Haven't seen all the show.
  • Options
    Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Oh lord letters from home, how i hate them.
  • Options
    atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh!

You're seeing them in a few days. They know exactly where you are and can see you. They are probably glad for the break from your unbridled ego and desperate attention-seeking.

The tears are fake. They know this is the part where they can amass huge sympathy. I've seen more convincing emoticons :cry::cry:

I often find it amusing when like you say they will see them soon, possibly with the exception of Gary & Audley. I would think some of them would be used to being away from their family for at least this long with their careers. Very dramatic! 😁
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    All that huffing and puffing from Ricci, sheeesh :/
  • Options
    confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate this sentimental tosh too. I find in cringeworthy and a tad forced.
  • Options
    LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it either - maybe I'm just not emotional enough.. I don't get why people get so sad, home sick, etc...

I remember when I went on my first holiday without my parents for a few weeks with the school, and we were being made to phone home all the time. Other kids were getting all emotional spending ages in the phone box crying, etc. I was just like huh :confused: I'm here to get away from family!
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen more convincing emoticons :cry::cry:

LOL! :D Classic.

What I find harder to understand is crying at being told they're not going to receive their letters yet. :cry: They haven't lost anything, and up until that point they weren't crying about it. Basically nothing has changed (for them) but they turn on the waterworks. :confused:

What is it; Envy? Self-pity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what's with the over-hyped ritual farce of some HMs won't receive theirs - then given two days later..zzzzz