Options

'Listen' Spoiler-Free Reviews

Comments

• Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    The Doctor is the huge focus of this episode. Clara isn't telling him what to do. She's just important to the story. As she should be.

It's not THE DOCTOR SHOW, it's as much about the companion.

I wouldn't say he's the huge focus tbh. I think he and his near dangerous need to be right are the catalyst but Clara has the more important role. I can remember far more things that she did in this episode than the Doctor and I think she has more screen time too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    The majority of negative reactions will most likely be from hung up fans who will take it as a personal insult that Steven has gone somewhere with The Doctor that no other showrunner has dared to do before.
    Oh, absolutely. There are already hints emanating from sites where many of the old Whovian farts congregate (like Outpost Skaro etc.) that they hate it because of the so called heresy against Doctor Who 'history' it supposedly contains. Only us 'not real Doctor Who fans' (or the casual viewer) will be able to see past it. We have no shame.... ;-)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely. There are already hints emanating from sites where many of the old Whovian farts congregate (like Outpost Skaro etc.) that they hate it because of the so called heresy against Doctor Who 'history' it supposedly contains. Only us 'not real Doctor Who fans' (or the casual viewer) will be able to see past it. We have no shame.... ;-)

Good. If it winds them up then all the better. That's what I like about Moffat above all else. He doesn't mind upsetting people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good. If it winds them up then all the better. That's what I like about Moffat above all else. He doesn't mind upsetting people.
    My sentiments exactly. :) Oh, and if by the off chance you should ever come into contact with them, say it's just been confirmed he's staying for Series 9 and 10. The ensuing facial expression will always inspire a deeply satisfying feeling! :D
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sentiments exactly. :) Oh, and if by the off chance you should ever come into contact with them, say it's just been confirmed he's staying for Series 9 and 10. The ensuing facial expression will always inspire a deeply satisfying feeling! :D

You can try it on The Gatherer when they return to the world of the active membership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    You can try it on The Gatherer when they return to the world of the active membership.
    What's so strange is that for people who've watched this show about a time travelling alien from year dot and claim to love it, they seem pretty insistent on it standing still....in time and everything else. Sorry, I just think they're weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The Doctor is the huge focus of this episode. Clara isn't telling him what to do. She's just important to the story. As she should be.

It's not THE DOCTOR SHOW, it's as much about the companion.

Glad to hear this episode is not all about Clara
    I am enjoying this series regardless but I do think it is indeed the DOCTOR show as a whole.
    It is and always has been. Not called Doctor Who for nothing.

I think companions are important and I really get attached to them BUT they are not important enough to take 50% of the screen time and story line in every show. Companions come and go all the time.
    The show could be entirely about him travelling alone and still be great I think.
    The Doctor regenerates but it is supposed to be mostly about him regardless I think.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't see how Clara has been more significant than any other companion especially New Who. Especially in Deep Breath it was the Doctor who sorted almost everything. Whereas how many times did Rose and Donna solve everything while the doctor bumbled around? Quite alot.

Its like they cant win. Clara is underdeveloped everyone said and I would agree. Now she has been made more of a three dimensional character people don't like it! It really is true you cant please all of the people all of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I just don't see how Clara has been more significant than any other companion especially New Who. Especially in Deep Breath it was the Doctor who sorted almost everything. Whereas how many times did Rose and Donna solve everything while the doctor bumbled around? Quite alot.

Its like they cant win. Clara is underdeveloped everyone said and I would agree. Now she has been made more of a three dimensional character people don't like it! It really is true you cant please all of the people all of the time.

It annoyed me in past series when the companions appeared to solve everything while the doctor bumbled around too.

Personally I never thought Clara was so underdeveloped. I liked her then a lot and dont actually dislike her now, just want more Doctor. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing the leak I'll be intrigued to see how it's received.

I'll post the next part in spoilers but there is no plot details just my opinion but if you want dont want to know a thing dont read.
    Loved about 30 minutes of it but the ending felt like such a typical recent Moffat ending. It's like he's scared to give a plot with any complexity a concrete ending. It's like here's a load of ideas annnndddd bleh heres a quick tie up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me myb wrote: »
    It annoyed me in past series when the companions appeared to solve everything while the doctor bumbled around too.

"Journey's End". Not only does the Doctor have so little relevance to the plot's resolution, that it actually loops around to his failings doing more to solve things.

Seriously, his only contribution to that story was GETTING SHOT,
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with others who have said that there's going to be a divide in opinion, but I don't think it'll happen immediately. I think people will mostly love the first 30-35 minutes (it's Moffat at his finest)... and then the divide occurs.

I'm almost looking forward to the reactions more than I am the episode itself :p.
  • Options
    Twonky2000Twonky2000 Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I agree with others who have said that there's going to be a divide in opinion, but I don't think it'll happen immediately. I think people will mostly love the first 30-35 minutes (it's Moffat at his finest)... and then the divide occurs.

I'm almost looking forward to the reactions more than I am the episode itself :p.

I've seen the episode and am a bit meh about the first 35 minutes but adore the last ten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul Simpson of SciFiBulletin says it's an 'utterly brilliant episode'. They'll be posting a spoiler free preview later today or tomorrow.

Also, I must apologise to the reviewer of the episode from Outpost Skaro, Eddie Mcguigan (though not the site admins themselves), for my earlier comments. He calls it 'fantastic' (review not posted yet) and my mistake came from believing the comments between their twitter account and a well known Moffat hating numpty came from him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a more Doctor-centric story, in that Peter Capaldi takes more of the centre stage than Jenna Coleman this time around. That said, Coleman has work of her own, not least in relation to Danny Pink, who returns in a not-always-obvious way

... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like fans who give a damn about Who-lore are going to be quite irate after the episode is aired, so may I propose a thread dedicated to said fans in which they can pretend they know very little of the show, a sort of pre-emptive psychodrama (or psychothread) to help prepare for this seismic shift in the mythology? ;-) :p
  • Options
    VegaNexosVegaNexos Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FWIW, I'm not 100% convinced this is a 'non-arc' standalone story, at all.
  • Options
    mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    VegaNexos wrote: »
    FWIW, I'm not 100% convinced this is a 'non-arc' standalone story, at all.

Apart from focussing even more on the unsure "Am I a Good man?" side of the Doctor. It is.
  • Options
    VegaNexosVegaNexos Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    Apart from focussing even more on the unsure "Am I a Good man?" side of the Doctor. It is.

I've seen it. Apart from the major character stuff that is setting something up for later, the nature of the 'thing' [trying to avoid spoilers, it's difficult] might be highly relevant by the end of the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you imagine if the internet existed when the 'The Deadly Assassin' aired...

'How dare Robert Holmes say that a Timelord can only regenerate 12 times!'

The more we learn about the Doctor the better imho. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if the internet existed when the 'The Deadly Assassin' aired...

'How dare Robert Holmes say that a Timelord can only regenerate 12 times!'

Not that anybody believed it until 2013 :p
  • Options
    Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    It's a very good story. A lot of Moffat-ish tricks again, but it all works. The ending is not what you expect - a good thing in this case.

I liked it a lot, but I don't think its quite as impressive as a lot of other people are saying. It will be divisive I think
    because of what it says about the Doctor