Looks like Scotland are leaving us

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think the 'no' campaign will just about win.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume if it is a Yes vote and the process commences which will be complete by March 2016 that come next years general election those on the Scottish electoral roll will not be able to vote in the GE , as they will have effectively left the UK all but the divvying up it would hardly be fair if they were able to help decide on our government when we including many many Scots are not allowed to decide on the Scottish independence issue.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Smarmy Salmond now decided to declare "The Queen would love to be Queen of Scots". The Queen is neutral on politics, there is nothing this man won't do to get his way.

Leave The Queen out of it and just give people the facts on a yes vote and stop flaunting yourself.

If this isn't about Salmond why is he promoting himself so much and making sure he is in every twist and turn.

So, I take it you either missed or chose to ignore all the headlines about the Queen being a unionist and arranging crisis talks with Cameron as she didn't want to lose Scotland?
    Stories that have been thoroughly debunked by the Palace today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I assume if it is a Yes vote and the process commences which will be complete by March 2016 that come next years general election those on the Scottish electoral roll will not be able to vote in the GE , as they will have effectively left the UK all but the divvying up it would hardly be fair if they were able to help decide on our government when we including many many Scots are not allowed to decide on the Scottish independence issue.

It wouldn't be "your" Government, it would still be the government of the current UK until March 2016. After that, they would have to decide how to move forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    So, I take it you either missed or chose to ignore all the headlines about the Queen being a unionist and arranging crisis talks with Cameron as she didn't want to lose Scotland?
    Stories that have been thoroughly debunked by the Palace today.

Did Cameron announce that publicly to the press as Salmond did ?

The Cameron in crisis talks with Queen rubbish is the media embellishing a true story which was that MP's had asked Cameron to speak to the Queen about the issue and the MP's wanted him to ask her to speak out. Of course Cameron spoke to the Queen in his meeting with her when he visited Balmoral as the PM does every year it would be ridiculous to think he did not .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be "your" Government, it would still be the government of the current UK until March 2016. After that, they would have to decide how to move forward.

So the Scots having voted to leave and will basically leave would then be allowed to vote on the government that will rule us but not them ( the current UK government would not be making any decisions about Scotland after a Yes vote other than negotiating cash with Salmond ) , in which case they should do something to delay the general election until March 2016.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Most likely. I think the possible near-miss will serve as a wake-up call, especially for the government.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Scots having voted to leave and will basically leave would then be allowed to vote on the government that will rule us but not them ( the current UK government would not be making any decisions about Scotland after a Yes vote other than negotiating cash with Salmond ) , in which case they should do something to delay the general election until March 2016.

If there is a yes vote I do agree that the GE should be delayed until 2016, if not then I can see resentment from the RUK at the mere idea a new administration could only rule by using Scottish MP's. This gives Milliband a huge headache should he win next year, come 2016 he would be head of a minority government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Most likely. I think the possible near-miss will serve as a wake-up call, especially for the government.

I think it will affect how all the Westminster parties take the electorate for granted, Milliband has the most to lose if we do go, saying that the political gene pool up here is so polluted with excrement it's going to be an eye opener watching Scotland being rules by the biggest bunch of failed sperm ever to be elected into office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Bloody hell, I hope so. Down here we are no voters:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Bloody hell, I hope so. Down here we are no voters:)

I have read the White Paper and every bit of bumpff that is associated with it and independence and still I have no idea how the hell it's going to work, from the get go I believe we will run a huge budget deficit, see a huge exodus of funds from Scottish financial institutions and by 2019 we will be witnessing savage cuts to public services and punitive taxation.

I was a firm Yes voter BUT doing what is best for my families financial future and the sheer gobbledegook of the White Paper and doing my own research has convinced me to vote no.
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    I have read the White Paper and every bit of bumpff that is associated with it and independence and still I have no idea how the hell it's going to work, from the get go I believe we will run a huge budget deficit, see a huge exodus of funds from Scottish financial institutions and by 2019 we will be witnessing savage cuts to public services and punitive taxation.

I was a firm Yes voter BUT doing what is best for my families financial future and the sheer gobbledegook of the White Paper and doing my own research has convinced me to vote no.

Good Post. The Heart may feel the surge and Pride of a resurrected Independent Scotland and want a "Yes", but the hard facts and common-sense say a big "No". For me 5years then the Dream unravels.

From 2019 large swaves of Scotland will start being been bought up on the cheap by foreign Investors from places like China (Mind you that is already happening in a sense in London, but at least they pay top Dollar). Russians will buy up the Distilleries at bargain prices when the Scottish Currency hits rock bottom in conversion to Roubles. Before long outside business interest will be quietly, then forcefully pulling the Scottish Governments strings. Scots will be saving money in Dollars under their pillow cases as Tourists will know to wait and convert their hard currencies when they actually get to Scotland, for knock down rates to make their holiday even cheaper.

Scots will smuggle themselves across the Border to buy TV sets as the 25% Vat at home and excessive taxes creates distortions. The Oil dries up in the local Fish & Chip Shop and Mars Bars are in short supply. Food poisoning is on the rise as the relevant Government Food Agencies have been cut back and compromised by other interests. Likely?? .... Scaremongering who knows? .... Vote "Yes" to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You may have read it but I am not sure you understand it. You are basically saying that Scotland only survives because of subsidies from the rest of the UK. There are absolutely no figures to back up your assumptions. IF RBS and Standard Life re-locate to London (and it's by no means certain) they are not going to rip the company up and start again. All that will happen is that their registered head offices will be moved. That's it. A brass plate. Nothing else.
    If a country of Scotlands size and resources cannot survive in this world, how do you explain the countless smaller countries that seem to do just fine?

David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Alastair Darling. George Osborn, Gordon Brown and many, many others have all said that Scotland can be a successful independent country. Why do you think otherwise.
    Finally, the White Paper is in two parts. the negotiation part is what will happen. Everything else will only happen if the SNP win the first General Election.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Post. The Heart may feel the surge and Pride of a resurrected Independent Scotland and want a "Yes", but the hard facts and common-sense say a big "No". For me 5years then the Dream unravels.

Can you name one country that has become independent and then come back five years (or at any time) later, bankrupt and wanting to be re-unified? No, you can't because it has never happened. If countries with a lot less resources than Scotland can do it, why can't we?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The solution to the Scottish problem.

Take a very big chainsaw. Cut along the line of Hadrian's wall. Let Scotland move away, due to continental drift. Job done.

I'll send you all a deep fried Mars bar, if you will go away, you moaning gits.

And get yourself a new fecking Scottish passport.

Don't steal the UK's oil and gas and also we'll be taking back our nuclear submarine defences. Just to let you know.
    This to the uneducated is a joke. I like Scottish people in general. My personal view is that I think it would be better for you in the long term to remain a part of the UK, but if you feel the need to go it alone (so to speak), it's your decision, but in return don't expect the remainder of the UK to offer you any special favours or bail you out, if things don't go according to plan.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Can you name one country that has become independent and then come back five years (or at any time) later, bankrupt and wanting to be re-unified? No, you can't because it has never happened. If countries with a lot less resources than Scotland can do it, why can't we?
    There's a first time for everything.

(Help ma boab ye cannae say that, I've nae answer)
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Cameron announce that publicly to the press as Salmond did ?

The Cameron in crisis talks with Queen rubbish is the media embellishing a true story which was that MP's had asked Cameron to speak to the Queen about the issue and the MP's wanted him to ask her to speak out. Of course Cameron spoke to the Queen in his meeting with her when he visited Balmoral as the PM does every year it would be ridiculous to think he did not .

I expect this is down to newspapers wanting a bit more "drama" about the vote, but my opinion might be that it is democracy to have the vote, even if it does not go the way the yes folk are expecting/hoping.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Until 2016, the UK government will be making decisions that affect the whole of the UK, including Scotland. After that time, there will be no Scottish MPs at Westminster, so no more Scottish influence on the rUK.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    The solution to the Scottish problem.

Take a very big chainsaw. Cut along the line of Hadrian's wall. Let Scotland move away, due to continental drift. Job done.

I'll send you all a deep fried Mars bar, if you will go away, you moaning gits.

And get yourself a new fecking Scottish passport.

Don't steal the UK's oil and gas and also we'll be taking back our nuclear submarine defences. Just to let you know.
    This to the uneducated is a joke. I like Scottish people in general. My personal view is that I think it would be better for you in the long term to remain a part of the UK, but if you feel the need to go it alone (so to speak), it's your decision, but in return don't expect the remainder of the UK to offer you any special favours or bail you out, if things don't go according to plan.

Hadrian's Wall is not the border. It's entirely in England.

http://stanfords.s3.amazonaws.com/coverage/187643_HadriansWall_cov.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

I don't think a chainsaw will work either.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Some humour is just lost on people isn't it.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Probably not but it's ridiculous just how many people keep saying the 'Hadrian's Wall' thing & don't even know where the border is.
    jra wrote: »
    Some humour is just lost on people isn't it.
    It wasn't lost, it just didn't work
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Probably not but it's ridiculous just how many people keep saying the 'Hadrian's Wall' thing & don't even know where the border is.

They probably think it more ridiculous that some people can't spot sarcasm, even when it's blatantly obvious.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An independent Scotland would be back with a begging bowl within a decade. They're caught up in Salmond's cult of personality at the moment.