Options

What was going on in the football world at the time you turned 18?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    No games on my 18th birthday as it was a Sunday

On the Saturday it was the FA Cup Final.........Chelsea 2 - 2 Leeds aet

......and the Scottish Cup Final.........Aberdeen 3 - 1 Celtic

And the Aberdeen manager that day was..? Who might that be holding up the trophy...?

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01724/Fergie-Abdeen-Fa-c_1724326a.jpg
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's Alex Ferguson. Pretty easy quiz
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I'm not 18 yet lol!
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    My birthday's in July, was mainly Scandinavian matches being played, nothing very interesting.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Leeds beat spurs 2/ 1 at white hart lane at the time I couldn't have asked for better result
    My brother is spurs fan and he was there to witness it too
    Leeds scorers that day wete hankin , hart

In outside world things were about to get worse , a women
    Was about to come into no.10 and rip country apart destroy
    Our industries and health service
    No.1 record in charts was YMCA by village people
    Pint of larger /lime was 48p or thereabouts
    Weekly wage was £57 per week paid on Friday in a wage packet
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing other than some African Nations Cup prelim matches on Saturday 1st July 2000.

I can tell you what was going on in cricket on that day, though, because I watched Dominic Cork play a superb unbeaten tail-end innings to see England home against the West Indies at Lords by two wickets.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if you wanted a smaller lime?
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    My 18th was on a Friday in April, Oldham beat Leeds 3-1 in the old second division (apparently). The following day I remember going to Maine Road to see Sheffield Wednesday lose 2-1 in part of our spectacular end of season collapse to snatch relegation from the jaws of safety.

At least there was the Italia World Cup coming up, twas a great summer to be 18.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Leeds beat spurs 2/ 1 at white hart lane at the time I couldn't have asked for better result
    My brother is spurs fan and he was there to witness it too
    Leeds scorers that day wete hankin , hart

In outside world things were about to get worse , a women
    Was about to come into no.10 and rip country apart destroy
    Our industries and health service
    No.1 record in charts was YMCA by village people
    Pint of larger /lime was 48p or thereabouts
    Weekly wage was £57 per week paid on Friday in a wage packet

Do people still buy lager and limes in pubs?

I always thought it was a weedy drink even though lads in the mid nineties seemed to buy it fairly regularly. Give me a real ale any day!!
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Do people still buy lager and limes in pubs?

I always thought it was a weedy drink even though lads in the mid nineties seemed to buy it fairly regularly. Give me a real ale any day!!

I hear people buy a lager top (with lemonade). Don't recall anyone asking for lager and lime.
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The week before my team Wolves played Liverpool at home and Sheffield Utd played Birmingham.

We needed to win and Birmingham to lose to stay in the old first division. Liverpool needed a draw to win the title. If we won, QPR would take the title.

There were easily 60000 in Molineux that evening. At half time we were one up and Sheffield Utd also one . By the endLiverpool won 3-1 and Blues drew.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Champions League Semi Final, United 1-0 Barca, Paul Scholes about 15 mins in.

I was dragged out to a family meal, but ignored them the whole night watching on the tiny screen in the restaurant. :p
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I hear people buy a lager top (with lemonade). Don't recall anyone asking for lager and lime.

In 70s , the two main drinks I remember we're larger/lime and larger tops , later on it was larger /black!(black currant ) I used to have larger /lime , suppose you could call it an earlier alcopops ;-)