Options

Channel 4 scheduling 11:00 11/11/2010

blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
Forum Member
✭✭
I am physically repulsed that one of the main Broadcasters in the UK did not observe the 2 minutes silence at 11:00 today. For a channel that seemingly shows a lot of programmes regarding our armed forces this should not have been so.
It was only out of curiosity, flicking through the channels that i discovered this. Channel 4 should be ashamed of themselves

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Unusual. Which channels observed the silence this morning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those which I saw, BBC1 BBC2 ITV1 Ch5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV had some soldiers from Colchester laughing during the silence.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    i don't understand why you care
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about the news channels? I know I heard on BBC News this morning that they were going to observe the silence. I left the house soon after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't understand why you care

I don't understand why you don't care... it's a matter of respect for those that gave their lives for freedom
    What about the news channels? I know I heard on BBC News this morning that they were going to observe the silence. I left the house soon after that.

Again, I didnt actually look, but I'd assume it would've been the main ones so BBC News and Sky news
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why you don't care... it's a matter of respect for those that gave their lives for freedom

And yet you are kicking up a stink demanding that people and broadcasters have no freedom and do exactly what you want:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet you are kicking up a stink demanding that people and broadcasters have no freedom and do exactly what you want:)

I'm not demanding anything. I just think it's sickening that a channel that so often shows programmes about our troops both past and present chose not to honour a tradition that is 91 years old in the country and respect those that gave their lives in battle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not demanding anything. I just think it's sickening that a channel that so often shows programmes about our troops both past and present chose not to honour a tradition that is 91 years old in the country and respect those that gave their lives in battle

channel 4 have probably done more for the armed forces in terms of media coverage and money donated to the poppy appeal than you or me ever will.

That's respect, not a meaningless silence.
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How much "respect" were you showing when flicking between the channels at 11am to see who was observing the silence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me guess, you didn't observe it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msim wrote: »
    How much "respect" were you showing when flicking between the channels at 11am to see who was observing the silence?

Like he said.

The 2 minutes are not about silence. The OP was obviously were more worried about flicking channels than actually thinking about what the 2 minutes mean.

Faux outrage is so boring.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I was thinking. When people scan TV/radio stations to see who is/isn't observing the silence, the meaning of the silence itself probably isn't the first thing on their mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, I didnt actually look, but I'd assume it would've been the main ones so BBC News and Sky news

That's true.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Broadcasters, like individuals, should feel free to express their respect in the manner they see fit, rather than feel pressured to conform to others views of what is correct.

Every year, there's a similar thread to this, where we discover that some posters spent a period of remembrance flicking tv channels, in order to offer their opinion of the efforts broadcasters made to express their respect. They had the freedom to choose how they expressed their own respect, so why subsequently complain that a broadcaster decides when/how/if they express their respect?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me guess, you didn't observe it?

No I didn't. At 11am I was sitting working as unfortunately that is life and I wont apologise for that. However, over the past week or so, as news reports and TV programmes have aired about WW1/WW2 I have reflected in my mind about the cause and the sacrifice, so I don't see why I should be made to feel guilty for not observing a silence at 11am today.

What I object to is hypocrites like you who express outrage and repulsion yet themselves show none of the respect the silence is intended to show as they're too busy checking up on what others are doing. Its like the morons who write to individuals like Jon Snow berating him for not wearing a poppy on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gs1 wrote: »
    Every year, there's a similar thread to this, where we discover that some posters spent a period of remembrance flicking tv channels, in order to offer their opinion of the efforts broadcasters made to express their respect. They had the freedom to choose how they expressed their own respect, so why subsequently complain that a broadcaster decides when/how/if they express their respect?

Agree 100%
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I didn't. At 11am I was sitting working as unfortunately that is life and I wont apologise for that. However, over the past week or so, as news reports and TV programmes have aired about WW1/WW2 I have reflected in my mind about the cause and the sacrifice, so I don't see why I should be made to feel guilty for not observing a silence at 11am today.

What I object to is hypocrites like you who express outrage and repulsion yet themselves show none of the respect the silence is intended to show as they're too busy checking up on what others are doing. Its like the morons who write to individuals like Jon Snow berating him for not wearing a poppy on air.

I think your blowing the OPs post out of proportion. There has been no complaint about an individual observing the minutes silence, they are talking about a national broadcaster, who sometimes has an history of snubbing mainstream etiquette to try appear hip (for example the alternative Xmas speech).

As for Jon Snow, he is a privileged man who is lucky enough to have secured a fantastic job where he beamed into peoples homes, surly this privilege is worth the small sacrifice of wearing a poppy whilst on air, what he does in private is his own choice.

After all if a youth wants to go to a fancy dress party dressed as Hitler that may be permissible, but for someone in a privileged position such has Prince Harry, where we expect an example to be set, so such action is not ideal.

Would you agree ?.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    I think your blowing the OPs post out of proportion. There has been no complaint about an individual observing the minutes silence, they are talking about a national broadcaster, who sometimes has an history of snubbing mainstream etiquette to try appear hip (for example the alternative Xmas speech).

As for Jon Snow, he is a privileged man who is lucky enough to have secured a fantastic job where he beamed into peoples homes, surly this privilege is worth the small sacrifice of wearing a poppy whilst on air, what he does in private is his own choice.

After all if a youth wants to go to a fancy dress party dressed as Hitler that may be permissible, but for someone in a privileged position such has Prince Harry, where we expect an example to be set, so such action is not ideal.

Would you agree ?.

The problem is the central point of your argument centres around determining who is "privileged" and who is not, which will always be subjective. I do not particularly see Jon Snow as being privileged - I see him as just doing a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why people care that 100% of people who appear on tv wear poppies 100% of the time, it's just utter madness and misses the whole point of wearing a poppy. It's distasteful to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    The problem is the central point of your argument centres around determining who is "privileged" and who is not, which will always be subjective. I do not particularly see Jon Snow as being privileged - I see him as just doing a job.

A job where he is in the public domain and is paid handsomely. We all have to conform and set aside our morals or self beliefs to a degree when work is concerned, example's a Marxist working for a capitalist company, a Policeman protecting a BNP rally or a vegetarian working in a restaurant.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if he's wearing the poppy because he "has" to then that utterly destroys the meaning of wearing it in the first place. I don't think he's ever made a thing out of it, other than defending himself when he's been accused of any amount of rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    But if he's wearing the poppy because he "has" to then that utterly destroys the meaning of wearing it in the first place. I don't think he's ever made a thing out of it, other than defending himself when he's been accused of any amount of rubbish.

I dare say there are plenty of politicians that don't like children but they still kiss the baby to make the voters happy.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right a few things to say here again. For all of you that have said that I myself didn't observe the 2 minutes, I did, and I did with pride. Coverage on the TV does NOT start at 11:00, but usually around 2 minute beforehand... this was when I checked, not during the 2 minutes between 1100 and 1102. And I will be doing so again on Sunday, this time on parade with my TA unit, in uniform, to honour those who have died in combat over the last 100 years

I have to agree with the comments regarding John Snow, because he does not wear a poppy, except on Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday. What he does in his private life is up to him, but because he is in the public eye, he should conform to the standards set by his peers when working, like the poster above me said, you wouldn't see an Anti-BNP policeman refusing to protect the BNP at a rally, purely based upon the fact he does not agree with their views. These people are professional and should remain so in ALL areas of their work.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    I dare say there are plenty of politicians that don't like children but they still kiss the baby to make the voters happy.

:)

They're there to try and sell themselves to people. If they decide that it's worth putting up with feeling uncomfortable kissing babies then that's up to them. Jon Snow reeds the sodding news. If he doesn't want to wear a poppy then surely that's fine. Equally if he does then that's fine also.