Our War - BBC3

Comments

• Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the repeat now on BBC Three. Very sad :(
    It really makes me think, I was only 8 when the WTC attacks happened, and I had no idea that it all started there, being so young, I had no idea people were going to war between 2001-2005. I only began hearing about it 2006 onwards really.

It's horrible, I just want it all to end, what would happen if the British troops withdrew? A mutual agreement to stop war would make the world so much better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of that group of soldiers were young, I think they said 18 or 19 which I guess would be pretty typical.
    A couple commented that they were excited to have their first contact. One of them said he and his mate did a 'rock on' sign of excitement to each other when the Afghans began firing at them.
    The mother of the guy who died, Private Gray said as a lad he'd played mostly with toy guns like lots of lads.

They all seemed very happy to be deployed there initially as it appeared quiet for them. One commented that they began to think the Taliban were a myth!

I wonder what they're told their role is over there?
    The officer said he felt they made a difference as opposed to Iraq where he felt they'd made it worse.

A sorry sight of the troops getting Private Gray away on the make shift stretcher, one of them said they hadn't had any stretcher training either. Hmmm, best trained troops in the world?

When they got Gray to the pick up point, they put him on the ground and walked off!! :eek:

Not impressed when the Sergent said to his men when they were struggling to carry him that if he dies as a result of them being slow, he'd hate them for ever! That was devastating.

I wonder what they think now and how many of them are still in the army?

That was terrible, I completely understand what he meant (that it was life or death), but can you imagine the guilt that the soldiers would have felt and the frustration that they were in that situation.

My friend is out in Afghanistan (he is 19), and when he returned, he was suffering from trauma and depression, I remember going to eat a Burger King with him, and he got paranoid every time he heard a loud noise. It's terrible :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Salv - your friend will get over it. Such occurences are usually not real and more often than not 'look at me, I've been in a war'. This is not as cynical as you might think, many have been there before. Any trauma or PTSD won't materialise for many months. OK. Just ignore him and change the subject.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Yes it was and Ross did some good programmes too on the same subject. As to the BBC well done for this which was good tv and a very good story..
    Fascinating look at the Reality and Fog of War, it's not like the Movies...And was wondering if this was the same Group that Ross Kemp filmed with.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Fascinating look at the Reality and Fog of War, it's not like the Movies...
    But, visually at least, it was like a video game.

K
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about to start again, BBC3. This one is about a counter IED unit if I recall... could be intersting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so sad :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's been as powerful as last weeks episode though. Not too enamoured with the guy doing the voiceover
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Not as hard hitting as last week. The banter between the lads was funny.
    Can't believe many officers are like the one featured tonight though. Seemed very laid back and confident.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again this was a good programme and shows our soldiers in a good light. What it also shows is our government in 2006 to 2009 in a bad light as it sent them in their underequipped and undermanned.

Shame on them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm annoyed this is shown on BBC Three. If on BBC1 it would have gotten 5m+ IMO.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is going to be shown on BBC1 later in the year.
    Forum Member
    A much better programme and cast of characters; Sgt Dougherty is a top bloke.
    It did highlight once again how under-populated the troops were with bayonets on the ground and kit was insufficient.
    Got to get out of Afghanistan as early as possible - corrupt, ungrateful, unforgiving,
    Forum Member
    A much better programme and cast of characters; Sgt Dougherty is a top bloke.
    It did highlight once again how under-populated the troops were with bayonets on the ground and kit was insufficient.
    Got to get out of Afghanistan as early as possible - corrupt, ungrateful, unforgiving,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I thought this ep lacked the 'on the ground' feel of the first one. Obviously they were hampered by not having actual footage of the incident (which is what I thought was the concept behind the series). Also no mention of the family back home this time. But still, interesting stuff. You do feel a connection with the subjects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a very thought provoking episode as well, I remember clearly the incident when the letter Gordon Brown sent to a bereaved family appeared in the papers and it was interesting to see the reactions of the men Jamie Janes had been serving with to it. There's so much we, the public, have no idea about and that's why this series is so important and many people should watch it. My heart always goes out to the lads who are injured out in Afghanistan, often their lives are changed forever, but we never hear anything about them.

I know there's been a few comments in this thread about not understanding the 'revenge' aspect of a platoon when one of their men is killed. But it's a part of warfare, an eye for an eye, it just makes the men even more determined to bring down the vile enemy they are fighting, the lads are a 'band of brothers', they all look out for each other and until you've actually been in that situation none of us are in the position to judge.

A final note, IED's truly are a cowards weapon.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, poor guy lost his job over a medical condition. In any other profession that'd be discrimination.
    Actually it wouldn't. It's a cruel twist of fate but far from discrimination and many professions will attempt to find alternative work for an employee but in some cases this isn't always possible. I'm sure the Army would have offered the lad something else but ultimately the decision to leave would have rested with him.

Seem to remember some years back a boxer guy who was also a full time fireman. He was diagnosed with epilepsy which ended both his career as a boxer and fireman.There was just no way you could send a man like this into burning buildings or up ladders.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robston wrote: »
    Not as hard hitting as last week. The banter between the lads was funny.
    Can't believe many officers are like the one featured tonight though. Seemed very laid back and confident.
    Yes seemed a nice lad who even made a bit of a sarcy swipe when showing you his bedroom area. In an exaggerated 'Officer tone' of voice he explained the reason for the piece of board to separate his 'bedroom' from the rest of men.

Steeped in the history of "Britishness" I often think it's time this nonsense was finally ended though in my heart I know it never will. It's gone on for years and naturally spills over into the workplace to create a "us and them" atmosphere.

My son has just left the Army after fifteen years service and though he was ranked as Sergeant (which made me extremely proud of him!), he said it will always be like that. There are Officers......then there are 'the men'. Some Officers are 'ok guys' and he is very friendly with one in particular who he kept in contact with after Iraq, but the majority remain 'distant'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I knew the officer looked familiar, he made a music video last Christmas.. Not sure how high in the charts it got?

Xander Rawlins - 1000 Miles Apart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jammy08 wrote: »
    I knew the officer looked familiar, he made a music video last Christmas.. Not sure how high in the charts it got?

Xander Rawlins - 1000 Miles Apart

thanks for sharing that link, i'd never heard of that before but its pretty good :D it should have been xmas no.1 instead of the usual manufactured crap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Actually it wouldn't. It's a cruel twist of fate but far from discrimination and many professions will attempt to find alternative work for an employee but in some cases this isn't always possible. I'm sure the Army would have offered the lad something else but ultimately the decision to leave would have rested with him.

Seem to remember some years back a boxer guy who was also a full time fireman. He was diagnosed with epilepsy which ended both his career as a boxer and fireman.There was just no way you could send a man like this into burning buildings or up ladders.

My bad, it was an error on my part and should've read "in many other professions" lol
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jammy08 wrote: »

He was very touchy-feely wasn't he? I thought it looked as though it might not have been "appreciated" at times....
  • DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an emotionally powerful and brilliant series this is!

I don't understand why this is not being shown on BBC1 or why it's taken so long for a programme about British soldiers in Afghanistan to be made at all.

Those are my only gripes with this.

I've been through the whole gambit of emotions watching this, tears, sadness, anger, awe, disbelief, happiness and laughter.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of Chris Gray and Jamie Janes, the two soldiers who's deaths are so tragically and vividly covered in these 2 episodes. I don't know how they found the strength and courage to sanction the telling of their sons stories, but it's to their credit they allowed it to go ahead.

I hope the programme has done their sons and their colleagues justice in their eyes.

This series by focussing on the experiences of individual platoons has helped to break down some of the ignorance, anonymity and distant coverage of the conflict we're used to.

I feel sorry any of our armed forces have had to go through this at all but I appreciate their efforts even more now for seeing this.

This programme is overwhelmingly humbling but I'm so proud of our armed forces.Thank you all.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Denley wrote: »

This programme is overwhelmingly humbling but I'm so proud of our armed forces.Thank you all.
    And then some....

Second programme, as gripping as the first...and I remember 'that' letter to Jamie's Mother to.

And what a character that Alex was, But I'm not sure I would be able to take his 'humour'..for six months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is horrible tonight :(