Bit of car advice please?

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey guys,

So I passed my driving test in february, and am looking for a little car to get me about. I've found this, which I'm going to look at - it needs a new back wiper though, and I'm going to try and haggle! They worst they can do is say no, right!?

Anyway, What would you guys say is realistic to try get for this?

It's £990 on autotrader, and then on the dealer's own website it's £1190.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Don't buy it without the wiper arm replaced, it would fail an MOT. Otherwise, on the face of it (and without a physical inspection) it looks ok for the money. Take someone who has some idea about cars and definitely have a test drive.

Have you checked what the insurance is for it?

Here's what HonestJohn has to say about a Ka of this age;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/ka-1996/
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Make sure you check how bad the rust is or whether you can see signs of it as KA's are quite prone to it. Have a good look, even better take someone who knows a lot about cars, and test drive when you go and see it, that's when you tend to find things to increase your chances of haggling some money off.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be taking my dad with me, who absolutely hates small cars - but I'm a new, young driver who's under 5 foot, so a big car isn't an option, practicality or costwise! Insurance is about £1,600, and everything else i've looked at, insurance is £1800+.

LCDman, just seen your edit. That was really helpful! :)
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missing back wiper from a dealer makes me think someones maybe trying to hide a broken rear wiper motor? Ka's are known to rust badly sometimes -- needs a good look over
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Don't buy it without the wiper arm replaced, it would fail an MOT. Otherwise, on the face of it (and without a physical inspection) it looks ok for the money. Take someone who has some idea about cars and definitely have a test drive.

Have you checked what the insurance is for it?

Here's what HonestJohn has to say about a Ka of this age;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/ka-1996/

Rear window wipers are not tested in the MOT so not a fail though handy to have and should be replaced/repaired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    Rear window wipers are not tested in the MOT so not a fail though handy to have and should be replaced/repaired.

Well I never, seems you're right. We learn something new every day. I would have thought if it was fitted then it had to be in working order, like fog lights for example, but it seems it's not even tested in an MOT.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Well I never, seems you're right. We learn something new every day. I would have thought if it was fitted then it had to be in working order, like fog lights for example, but it seems it's not even tested in an MOT.

It depends on where the car is tested a lot of times, I have had a bike or car fail the N.I MOT test but pass the test in Scotland, I can get a daylight MOT test pass in Scotland for a bike without a speedometer or brake light but in N.I it will fail even though the rules on paper are the same. I have also had a bike fail in N.I because they never had a speedometer with KPH as well as MPH so had to get it tested in Scotland where it passed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found another one that i'm considering, that my dad would be a LOT happier with me driving! he has a thing about KA's! But everything you guys have said has been really useful stuff for me to consider, some things I hadn't even thought of, so thank you! :)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I passed my driving test in february, and am looking for a little car to get me about. I've found this, which I'm going to look at - it needs a new back wiper though, and I'm going to try and haggle! They worst they can do is say no, right!?

Anyway, What would you guys say is realistic to try get for this?

It's £990 on autotrader, and then on the dealer's own website it's £1190.

Be very careful with the Ford KA you can get into real trouble with corrosion on these.

You need to carefully check these places and items.....

Rust.....

Around the fuel filler door, inside and out.
    Around the boot lid lock.
    Around the bottom of the doors.
    Around the top and bottom of both wings.
    Around the sills, inside and out.
    Around the rear wiper.
    Under the floor at the driver's side, including the chassis members at both sides just under the footwell.
    Check the power steering pipes for bad corrosion, very common and expensive problem.
    Check for power steering fluid leaks, again, common and expensive.
    Check for noisy engines.
    Look at the front brake discs.

Hopefully the car will be in great condition and all will be well :)

Can't comment on prices as I don't keep up with prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Be very careful with the Ford KA you can get into real trouble with corrosion on these.

You need to carefully check these places and items.....

Rust.....

Around the fuel filler door, inside and out.
    Around the boot lid lock.
    Around the bottom of the doors.
    Around the top and bottom of both wings.
    Around the sills, inside and out.
    Around the rear wiper.
    Under the floor at the driver's side, including the chassis members at both sides just under the footwell.
    Check the power steering pipes for bad corrosion, very common and expensive problem.
    Check for power steering fluid leaks, again, common and expensive.
    Check for noisy engines.
    Look at the front brake discs.

Hopefully the car will be in great condition and all will be well :)

Can't comment on prices as I don't keep up with prices.

Thanks for replying! See the post before yours! I'm looking at another car now, someone I know is selling a yaris :) But thanks again, more things to consider! :)
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying! See the post before yours! I'm looking at another car now, someone I know is selling a yaris :) But thanks again, more things to consider! :)
    I was just going to suggest the Yaris,
    very good cars, had mine for nearly 7 yrs,
    Reliable,
    No rust, passed MOT every time (well, one time 2 tyres had to be changed)
    low insurance.
    Lovely to drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I've never had a ka but coming from a fiesta of the same age I'd say be wary, mine was a nightmare on this going wrong, and although parts were cheaper than say a German car, the costs soon mounted up. I'm not knowledgable about cars at all, but the advice on here was Japanese all the way (even though I ended up with a mini! :D)
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see you are considering another car,but I personally know the owner of the garage In Ossett that the KA is located at if you have any questions or concerns about the KA maybe I can help ?
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first car was a KA. It was only 6 years old when I bought it but it was absolutely riddled with rust, never passed an MOT and I never paid anything under £600 each time I had it serviced annually (3 times). Glad to see you're looking at something else :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see you are considering another car,but I personally know the owner of the garage In Ossett that the KA is located at if you have any questions or concerns about the KA maybe I can help ?

It's not just the garage, it's the KA, I've spoken to my dad who is not at all happy with me considering a KA. I've found another car from someone I've known for years, which is a better car and a better option all round for me, as I was primarily looking for a 5 door car, that's not as low down as the KA, as I will need my grandparents to be able to get in the back. I was just wondering if the KA I'd originally found (and before I'd spoken to my dad) was a good deal.

Thank you for replying though!
  • regbobsalregbobsal Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    missing back wiper from a dealer makes me think someones maybe trying to hide a broken rear wiper motor? Ka's are known to rust badly sometimes -- needs a good look over

Yes, they tend to rust badly on the sills & petrol cap area.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...from someone I've known for years...

Sometimes that's the worst thing to do. Sometimes. I certainly wouldn't buy from or sell to friends and family again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be taking my dad with me, who absolutely hates small cars - but I'm a new, young driver who's under 5 foot, so a big car isn't an option, practicality or costwise! Insurance is about £1,600, and everything else i've looked at, insurance is £1800+.

LCDman, just seen your edit. That was really helpful! :)
    Insurance double the price of the car?! What a rip off! Sweety, you're better off waiting till you're 25 or over.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The original Ford KA looks like a teapot :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    Insurance double the price of the car?! What a rip off! Sweety, you're better off waiting till you're 25 or over.

Yes, but that means not driving for another 5 and a half years. I already have a licence and don't want to spend even more money on booster lessons in 5 years time. I live a 40 minute drive from the city centre, and buses arent regular or cheap from where I am, and therefore I need to drive to work.

I've found insurance on the Yaris for £1255, which is the cheapest I've found on anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Sometimes that's the worst thing to do. Sometimes. I certainly wouldn't buy from or sell to friends and family again.

It's someone who I went to primary school with, who lives in my village. It's her parents selling the car, it's a 53 plate yaris with only 20,000 miles on it because it's barely been driven, which is why they're selling it.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    It's someone who I went to primary school with, who lives in my village. It's her parents selling the car, it's a 53 plate yaris with only 20,000 miles on it because it's barely been driven, which is why they're selling it.

I have to say that sounds like a very good buy!
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I have to say that sounds like a very good buy!
    I'd get it looked at. 20000 miles in 10 years is 2000 a year, 40 miles a week. Are they all short nips to the shops & back or the odd 20 mile trip out & back? I'd be wary od something that may never have got up to running temperature and has hardly been used. It might be a good un mind, but it'll need a look.

Cars wear out, or perish. A 10 year old car still has 10 years of life behind it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I'd get it looked at. 20000 miles in 10 years is 2000 a year, 40 miles a week. Are they all short nips to the shops & back or the odd 20 mile trip out & back? I'd be wary od something that may never have got up to running temperature and has hardly been used. It might be a good un mind, but it'll need a look.

Cars wear out, or perish. A 10 year old car still has 10 years of life behind it.

Realistically I'm not going to be able to afford a newish car anytime soon, I'm looking for something to drive to and from work, and to the supermarket, and that's about it! I'm going with my parents to have a proper look over the weekend :)
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Sorry - that didn't come out as planned. I was trying to say that a car with such a low mileage won't necessarily be a fantastic buy compared to one that's done regular mileage, it'll still be a 10 year old car but with a different set of potential problems.

Good luck with it though. :)