Options

Lauren's alcoholism (EastEnders)

OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
Forum Member
✭✭
As someone who suffered with a drink problem as a teenager, I Can really emphasize with what Lauren's going through at the moment.

She says things that I can remember saying word for word at about Lauren's age when I was suffering in the same way she does. I also did a lot of the stuff she did and I know I'm not alone in this.

I work with people with addictions every day and some evenings at support meetings that I can see similarities with Lauren and them.

I think this speaks volumes for the writers and researchers at EastEnders. I've been wanting them (or one of the soaps) to do a story about teenage alcoholism for a while now and am glad they're putting some effort into it.

I also just want to say how brilliantly I think Jacqueline Jossa is acting the role.

Fair play, everyone involved.

Comments

• Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to hear some positvity about the storyline.

I've often said that alcoholism doesnt just happen overnight and they have been realistic in building up the problem over the past year and now we are seeing the outcome and I agree Jacqueline Jossa has been really fab this week. Hope your over your drink problem now OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Great to hear some positvity about the storyline.

I've often said that alcoholism doesnt just happen overnight and they have been realistic in building up the problem over the past year and now we are seeing the outcome and I agree Jacqueline Jossa has been really fab this week. Hope your over your drink problem now OP

I really do feel like writing to her and whoever came up with the storyline idea and telling them they're doing well.
  • Options
    Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I think Jacqueline Jossa takes her part of Lauren really well and very convincing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is something I know a lot about . Albeit a bit older than Lauren . Jac J is doing a good job I think . Its certainly true that you have to reach absolute rock bottom .
    Sometimes losing everything is the only wake up call that hits home .
    I don't think she has reached the stage of full physical dependency , I.e we don't she her shaking with DTs etc .

Its a long and lonely road to recovery that's for sure .
    Hats off to Jac J , who is currently sunning herself in Mexico according to her tweeter. :cool:
    Wish I was on the beach with her sipping a cocktail . Non-alcoholic of course ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    This is something I know a lot about . Albeit a bit older than Lauren . Jac J is doing a good job I think . Its certainly true that you have to reach absolute rock bottom .
    Sometimes losing everything is the only wake up call that hits home .
    I don't think she has reached the stage of full physical dependency , I.e we don't she her shaking with DTs etc .

Its a long and lonely road to recovery that's for sure .
    Hats off to Jac J , who is currently sunning herself in Mexico according to her tweeter. :cool:
    Wish I was on the beach with her sipping a cocktail . Non-alcoholic of course ;)

That's something we could well see in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's something we could well see in the future.

Yes I think you're right there .
  • Options
    troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the storyline and I think Jac is doing a good job
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a brilliant actress, great storyline for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    She is a great actress. I'm really enjoying the storyline.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I don't really know about it, but it's nice to know it is actually realistic. My only problem with it is that it gives screen time to Joey and Lucy - two characters I can't stand.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the storyline tonight, I think it is pretty underrated on here actually and I am glad to see some people are enjoying it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ is great but I think a huge amount of credit should go to whoever researches it etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the storyline tonight, I think it is pretty underrated on here actually and I am glad to see some people are enjoying it.

Dunno if "Enjoying" is quite the right word haha. When you suffer from something, to watch someone else go through the same thing, albeit a fictional character, I don't think you can really "enjoy it" but you can certainly appreciate it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Has there ever been a soap character before with an alcohol problem at such a young age?
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's good! Jossa is an incredible actress
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her finding out about Stax and then the whole "off-on" thing with her parents and causing her to run over her dad. Then one minute her uncle's her step dad then her dad's back after being buried alive by her mum then her dad's having a new baby with someone else. Is it any wonder she's turned out like this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what the future holds for Lauren . I hope its a happy ending ;)
    She still manages to look nice even when pale as a ghost .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Whilst the story line is good and Im enjoying it, as someone who was a heavy drinker and went through a period of drinking daily I find it sometimes a little unrealistic in that she gets drunk so quickly when shes drank so little. I know personally that the longer I did it the more my tolerance levels rose and it took a fair amount for me to feel drunk let alone start behaving drunk.
  • Options
    EE Fan 1990EE Fan 1990 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think more of is revealed when they find the secret stash of empty bottles in her room so is probably drinking off screen
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do feel like writing to her and whoever came up with the storyline idea and telling them they're doing well.

She can't act like a convincing drunk, she always walks perfectly straight!
    In all the excitement, they forgot to tell her that drunks normally walk like their dizzy or trip up,
    Aswell as talk, look and feel funny, also with some random dancing,
    when she stole money of Cora and brought herself a bottle, then the next morning! No hang over? :confused:

Most people tuning in wont even realize she is drunk lool! :D
    All she does is scream once in a while!
  • Options
    BabyJesus89BabyJesus89 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    when she stole money of Cora and brought herself a bottle, then the next morning! No hang over? :confused:

When I was 19 I could drink an awful lot and wake up feeling completely fine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When my drinking was at its worse I could easily drink a bottle of wine and feel absolutely normal the next day.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Florrie80 wrote: »
    When my drinking was at its worse I could easily drink a bottle of wine and feel absolutely normal the next day.

for some reason, I always get a hangover!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm quite surprised Carol hasn't had a go at her for her drinking. Didn't Lauren's cousin Billie die from alcohol poisoning?
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren is a rubbish actress, it should stick to comedy from the likes of Kim and Fatboy.