Options

Early Doors

redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any fans of the show on here?

After re-watching Phoenix nights last week I have decided to give this another whirl. Been a while since I have watched it but can remember it very good and a show with a dry sense of humor.

Hope I am not disappointed when I watch it for a second time round

Comments

• Options
    Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Oh yes :-) Probably my favourite scenes are when the police pop round. Some brilliant lines.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first series was brilliant, the second merely good.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the first two posts above. Brilliant, understated series with some superb dry humour. Mark Benton and Lorraine Cheshire are excellent as the worlds most boring couple but the policemen are the real stars of the programme. The content and delivery of some of their stories is priceless.

When you see hidden little gems like this and compare it to what's being poduced now you realise how far sitcoms have plummeted.
  • Options
    CosmicgirlCosmicgirl Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Phil and Nige' are great!............crime won't crack itself! :D
  • Options
    Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on UK Gold on a Tuesday night (i think) at the mo.

Interesting fact:-

Whenever Phil and Nige are leaving the pub, their police radios crackle a message in the phonetic alphabet sounding like a random police radio message, but it is usually a profanity or swear word spelled phonetically, 'Foxtrot Uniform Charley Kilo' being one of many examples.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Loved Early Doors :D and it has some brilliant characters, it is one of those programmes that I never get bored of watching even though I have seen it previously.
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on UK Gold on a Tuesday night (i think) at the mo.

Interesting fact:-

Whenever Phil and Nige are leaving the pub, their police radios crackle a message in the phonetic alphabet sounding like a random police radio message, but it is usually a profanity or swear word spelled phonetically, 'Foxtrot Uniform Charley Kilo' being one of many examples.

I'll be getting my dvds out to re watch again & listening out for that now you've mentioned it.:)

Loved that show.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I LOVE Early Doors, a hugely underrated sitcom. It's easily the equal of The Office, The Royle Family, etc, and yet not many people are familiar with it. It's full of great characters, brilliant observations, superb one-liners, a couple of genuinely very moving scenes, and Phil's mental giggling. What's not to like? To the regiment!
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's just full of great characters , I used to work in a pub like that - the miserable old git , the weird couple who talk rubbish , the woman who leaves her kids outside in the car etc.

its so weird watching it now , it seems like a bygone age - they're all smoking in the pub ! most of these pubs have gone now .
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the actor who plays the big policeman turns up in so many pogrammes yet i cant ever remember his name
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Wight that is.
  • Options
    cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite shows, I love it. Have to go against the general opinion about the policemen though - they're probably my least favourite characters.

So many brilliant moments........

Tommy eating his buffet in the toilets.
    Duffy with his Fray Bentos pies
    Jean - everything!
    Eddie and the temporary traffic lights, and the pub quiz
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Early Doors was Royle Family Lite and a great, great show.

It seemed a little uncertain and heavy handed at first but went on to produce some great characters and many classic moments. Shame it lasted only two series.

Thank heavens for DVD.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, specially the first series.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE IT ! Jean is so manipulative with Ken & Melanie..lol and I love her interaction with Winnie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very underrated sitcom.

I loved it.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched all the progs again in may this year. A classic series, really classic.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and James McEvoy was interviewed at the Grand Prix yesterday with his now transatlantic accent - my get him how he has grown!
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and James McEvoy was interviewed at the Grand Prix yesterday with his now transatlantic accent - my get him how he has grown!

there's a gag in the 2nd series where they're talking about him and how he dumped the landlord's daughter (McEvoy wasn't in the 2nd series) and Craig says "who'd've thought it - shameless!"
    which I assume is a little in-joke .
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last episode in Series 1 where they go to York Races is without doubt one of the best TV shows i have ever seen, absolutely brill. Looks like they really enjoyed making it as well if the outtakes on the DVDs are anything to go by, might be something to do with the drinks were all real alcohol :). We could deffo do with some new Craig Cash material for sure.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    the actor who plays the big policeman turns up in so many pogrammes yet i cant ever remember his name

I think his name is James Qinn?

He has recently been in Coronation street playing a policeman ;):D
  • Options
    lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    LOVE IT ! Jean is so manipulative with Ken & Melanie..lol and I love her interaction with Winnie.

I loved Jean :D
    I loved how she was so rude to Winnie until Winnie had some gossip for her, then she was nice as pie :D
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I think his name is James Qinn?

He has recently been in Coronation street playing a policeman ;)

And he commentates on FC United football matches for FCUM radio on Saturdays
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas116 wrote: »
    Have to go against the general opinion about the policemen though - they're probably my least favourite characters.
    Just out of interest, can I ask why?
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the question about Pickles ! (or words to that effect!), and the lovely moment when they've paid for Jean and her husband's (I think!) phone bill.