Why are they wasting Jay?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
No seriously with the wave of under 35 male characters coming in and the neglect of this character under LN it makes me wonder what have the eastenders producers got against one of its potential great characters who is portrayed by arguable the strongest actor in the under 25 age group in my opinion, no doubt the new producer has revived the show but still Jay regressing and being paired with Abi which has never worked for the character.

Comments

• los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Maybe it suits the actor? He's worked so much through his life, maybe he wants a bit of time off without taking a break or losing his job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    Maybe it suits the actor? He's worked so much through his life, maybe he wants a bit of time off without taking a break or losing his job.

I understand this but I feel he is being pushed behind the Que and his potential might never be fulfilled which is a shame as he has the potential to be an EE great.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just said in another thread. I think Jay might be on his way out. He has fallen into the same pit hole that Darren Miller did. I think with lack of real family there is very little they can do with Jay.

I mean where is he living? is he still with Kim and Patrick?
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie is a great young actor and he should be used much more than he is.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I just said in another thread. I think Jay might be on his way out. He has fallen into the same pit hole that Darren Miller did. I think with lack of real family there is very little they can do with Jay.

He's back at Phil's now. I agree that he's been seriously wasted and I'd be furious to see him axed after he's spent the last 12 months playing second fiddle to DextaInnit. >:(
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a great waste as the character's great and played very well.I'd like to see him with Lola.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's back at Phil's now. I agree that he's been seriously wasted and I'd be furious to see him axed after he's spent the last 12 months playing second fiddle to DextaInnit. >:(

Jamie is hundred times the actor Khali Best is.
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need secondary characters that just live life and get on with it. It would be a huge waste for them to nurture Jay on the show after almost 10 years and then to just drop him.

They have given him some storylines over the last year or two, but the fact remains they need to give the actor time to grow up first.

For all intent and purposes he's a modern 'Ricky' - friends with the Mitchells, works in their garage, and an all around fairly decent guy (considering!).
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's because the actor / character arnt as good as people on DS think! He's by far the most overrated character on the show. He was ok in the murder storyline but apart from that all he has ever done is have a shit boring as hell relationship with abi who is a terrible character aswell. If they both weren't connected to larger families they would be on there way out with the likes of poppy etc
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

EastEnders have their own research panel in place. I wonder if Jay isn't a popular character so that explains why they don't invest in him.

I know people call for Fatboy to be axed but his popularity on Twitter is astounding. You never see that sort of thing for Jay.
  • sas6789sas6789 Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The same thing was said about Shirley for ages, but all it took was for them to bring in some family and look at her now so why can't they do the same with Jay?
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    I think the character could be really good with some well constructed storylines. Chuck him somewhere unexpected. Or even better give him some family rather than bringing in anymore carters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like his relationship with Abi - i think it would be a good idea if he moved in to the Branning house and join Max at the car lot perhaps? He's a good actor that needs more screen time
  • EE Fan 1990EE Fan 1990 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like his relationship with Abi - i think it would be a good idea if he moved in to the Branning house and join Max at the car lot perhaps? He's a good actor that needs more screen time

Agreed he's a mechanic so could do any maintenance or still work at the arches but live with the brannings
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dull character who was ruined by sensationlist stories involving the brutal death of his dad and being dragged into Heather's murder.

He's a young Billy, a tragic character that only serves to play in the background or be walked all over by Phil. I think he's the next actor to leave and to be honest I think he's been fortunate to stay around this long.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Jay was at his best when Ben was in the show, this is why we need him back. they should get him away from Abi.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    He was very good in 2012, BK did very well with him. Since then though he's been wasted. He and Abi should get married!
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay was a good natural child actor, he has yet to prove what he can do as an adult!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HfgDyQX9Dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Iu-05UNXc
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a great actor but underused, hopefully he'll get a sl (not a relationdship one). They really should of done a depression or male anorexia sl as an effect of keeping Hevs murder a secret.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member

No his relationship with Abi is one of the worst pairing I have seen on the show after watching 20 plus of the show, being with Abi puts jay on the back burner big time and they have zero chemistry the aftermath of her finding out about the kiss with that girl her reaction and how she forgive was a joke. DTC said he was going to give EE its balls back he has done this in a polished way but he certainly has not giving Jay his edge back they should either elevate him to being at the forefront of the show which means good gritty storylines to challenge the young actor and a pairing with an actress he has chemistry with I think out of his love interests in the last 8 years he has had a great dynamic and chemistry with both Lucy's coincidental I would pair them together which would be great for the show as both characters are wasting away underutilized when characters lesser than them are getting much more focus, this or just axe him as it is a terrible sight to see spirited Jay Brown being wasted as Dextor sidekick, Phil's patsy and in a odd lifeless relationship with Abi.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how Abi is to blame for Jay fading into the background. Without Abi, he'd more than likely not get any screen time at all. If they want to give Jay a storyline - whether that involves Abi or not - they would. The fact is, they obviously can't really be bothered with the character. They've paired him up with Abi and just allow him to be there for consistency. That's not Abi's fault, that's down to the writers.

Personally, I like Abi's and Jay's relationship. Both are good actors and both are good characters and I'm sick of break ups and affairs. We need some solid relationships on the show.

Jay needs a storyline, but keep him with Abi. Couples can have decent storylines without having to be at each others throats and cheating on one another. Personally, I'd rather have them as background characters than have them at the forefront screaming in the pub for sleeping with someone else - dull, dull, dull. Both characters deserve better and I hope they get it soon - both have been patient enough.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay should be having more storyline to do we all have seen how good he is when given a proper storyline DTC needs to do something about this
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's a shame his been so underused, his one of the best character in his age range yet they invest in Dexter one of the worse characters on the show, I like him & Abi but their relationship not progressed much either.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dull character who was ruined by sensationlist stories involving the brutal death of his dad and being dragged into Heather's murder.

He's a young Billy, a tragic character that only serves to play in the background or be walked all over by Phil. I think he's the next actor to leave and to be honest I think he's been fortunate to stay around this long.

Agreed.

Also agree with Lewi26...I have never been impressed with Pasty Jay.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is extremely overrated on here. He is no better or no worse than Dexter IMO.

The character is a bit dull, he has no family connections in the square unless you count the Mitchells, his relationship with Abi borders on annoying a lot of the time and while Jamie is a good actor, he isn't the best.

The only time I have ever really seen him shine was during the Heather storyline and even then, he was outshone by Joshua who played Ben and everyone else involved.

Maybe it is true that he hasn't been used much the past year or so but I really don't think we are missing anything special.