Favourite Nick Drake song

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although this is partly intended as an antidote to all those similar Rhianna/Saturdays/One Direction threads, this is actually something that genuinely interests me.

Nick Drake's short career produced an almost unprecedented body of work, all introspective, but ranging from uplifting, to sombre, to the very depths of despair. But how to you pick a favourite from so many perfectly crafted songs?

I love the cracked, fragile beauty of Fly, the breathy understatement of Pink Moon, the sedate and laid-back Time Has Told Me, and the string-laden sorrow of Way To Blue. Add to that Northern Sky and Riverman, both of which seem to make almost compulsory appearances during some point in most television documentaries.

Out of all of them though, the one that sums him up for me is Cello Song, combining just about every element of his writing.

Which one would you choose?

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna say the whole Pink Moon album because I can't pick just one song and it is better listened to as a whole rather than individual songs anyway.
  • GlenLGlenL Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would be Which Will but Northern Sky comes a close second.

Pink Moon gets an honourable mention with its beautiful piano break.
  • STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    The Thoughts of Mary Jane is my fave although

At The Chime of The City Clock come a very very close second
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    place to be i think, love the pink moon album. not heard all his songs though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I really like Fruit Tree.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only track that I didn't like was Poor Boy, although some people love it. Its musical style seemed totally at odds to everything else on the Bryter Layter album and I always used to skip it. However, there was a recent documentary that explained how the avant-garde piano break came to be included, which made it a lot more interesting. It's still a track I rarely play though.

I've heard a home recording of Fly which sounds almost impossibly fragile although also beautiful.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be somewhat predictable, but I'd have to say "River Man", just one of those perfect tracks that doesn't sound as if it was ever worked on, more like it just fell out of the sky fully formed... and what a string arrangement, the whole thing makes me swoon every time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His estate must certainly be raking a lot of royalty money in from background music in TV documentaries.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Place To Be maybe, but I agree that Pink Moon needs to be listened to as a whole. I think less is more is really true with Nick Drake.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northern Sky.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great talent who sadly died far too young.

My favourite song is Hazey Jane 1
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Riverman :)

But there are so many others :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first track I ever heard of his was Time Has Told Me, which was on an acient compilation album on the Island record label. I wasn't sure what to make of it at the time, as it sounded a little bit like country music, when the track I really bought the album for was 21st Century Schizoid Man. Quite a contrast there :D

The next time was when I borrowed a cassette of Pink Moon, that a mate of mine bought when I was at college. I remember liking the title track, but quickly went back to playing Barclay James Harvest or some crap like that.

A year of two later a girl lent me Bryter Layter, which I liked, although Poor Boy was so different in style that it broke up the mood of the album. I don't think it was until somebody lent me the Time Of No Reply compilation that it really sunk in and made me try to hunt down everything he ever recorded. I have the Tamworth-In-Arden recordings and one or two others, but the quality is quite poor on some of them.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first discovered Nick Drake when Northern Sky was included on Island's El Pea sampler, although it was wrongly listed there as One Of These Things First (maybe there was a late change of choice of track?).

So many great songs, so wonderfully performed. What a tragedy he died so young.
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boomerang won't come back
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the chime of the city clock
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I know them all but River Man is one of my favourite songs by any artist. That steady strum that mimics a gently flowing river's rhythm is so simple and effective and genius. Very cool and timeless song.