Options

Why are we so afraid of highlighting race, even when it matters?

Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With today's report about Asian rape/sexual exploitation gangs in Rotheram, there surely can be no doubt left that we, as a society, have developed a massive problem with discussing the issue of race. People in the position to act on reports of these crimes were hesitant to do so fear for of causing offence, being labelled as "racist". This must certainly have contributed to a culture whereby those perpetrators could continue to commit their horrible crimes with impunity.

But I can't help but feel some small measure of sympathy with their position. It's something we see all the time in the media now, any mention of race (other than white, of course) is a potential fire-storm. You can't say anything as a public figure the least bit negative or critical without the professional complainers and pressure groups demanding your job at the very least, often even insisting on criminal charges being looked into!

I just can't understand how or why it has come to this. We're now at a position where we're allowing the mass abuse of children rather than run the risk of upsetting a small section of the populace. How did minorities come to wield such fearsome power, and do you think this will signal the beginning of a decline in such backwards logic, or are we doomed to just keep going further down this path where certain groups can just do what they like, knowing if they're caught out they can cry "racism!" and avoid any comeback whatsoever?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    It's terribly British, too. Maybe we're just too damned polite? An allegation of racism sticks like shit though, as bad as paedophilia. We're most of us here guilty of it, posters like Puzzler for those that remember him got himself labelled a racist, rightly or wrongly, and could never live it down. Do you want to be known forever as a racist? I can't see any change in our path on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC wrote:

Children as young as 11 were raped by multiple perpetrators, abducted, trafficked to other cities in England, beaten and intimidated, it said.

I can only ask; what the hell is wrong with you, man?

eta: to wns_195 of course
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We as a whole are not. Loony lefty liberals are.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    the lefty PC brigade that have taken over the councils
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    We as a whole are not. Loony lefty liberals are.
    Oh yes it is those damn loony lefty liberals again. Gee this forum is getting more like Fox News everyday.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We bury our heads in the sand, we all know it's been going on for years and are to scared to deal with the subject, in case we offend the perpetrators. So they get away with it.:(
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I can only ask; what the hell is wrong with you, man?

eta: to wns_195 of course

So you seriously believe, that the children were just sitting in thir bedrooms listening to Justin Bieber when all of a suden some a gang of Pakistani Muslims turned up, barged in, grabbed them and took them to a secret location far away?
    the lefty PC brigade that have taken over the councils

So this doesn't happen to children iff they are being looked after by people who have right-wing views, or een people who have racist views and hate Pakitani Muslims?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, I'm not sure why racism or worries about racism even come into it, if a group are trafficking children and sexually assaulting them, then that has to be dealt with no matter the race or religion of the perpetrators. Any individual who ignores an allegation like that due to the allegeds race or religion needs looking into and is clearly not fit for the position they hold.

Also that case is less a race issue anyway, its got nothing to do with their race. If anything its linked to their religion, in much the same way as abuse in the Catholic Church is an issue of religion.

ETA: or should u say abuse of religion, something that's far from unique to Muslims, see Catholic Church as an example.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When mass immighration began to happen in the 60s, the public were dead set against it, which necessitated a cultural change regarding racism. Unlike most establishent attempts at changing culture, it was surprisingly successful (why is another subject), and we've now arrived at a point where racism is the Worst Thing Ever, and that shields things like Asian sex gangs from the analysis they really deserve even though they aren't strictly race issues (and you can add to that other things like homophobic hate crimes in Tower Hamlets too).

The fact that Labour's 1997 multiculturalism agenda was done in secret has only made the necessity to stifle debate even more pronounced, and it's well documented that shouting racism at any criticism of it was one of the tricks they used to shut down the debate.

Cultural relativism also plays a part.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is shocking and us being scared to talk about it seemed to have given those animals a feeling the were untouchable. Families threatened, children violently raped, petrol poured on them... so much brutality brushed under the carpet because the authorities were more worried about "community cohesion".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    So you seriously believe, that the children were just sitting in thir bedrooms listening to Justin Bieber when all of a suden some a gang of Pakistani Muslims turned up, barged in, grabbed them and took them to a secret location far away?
    The topic of the thread is about the issue of race and why we're so scared of confronting it in the open, the specifics of how these girls came to interact with the men in the first place isn't really the point, but as you mention it I find you to be utterly detestable for effectively blaming underage children for their own physical, mental and sexual abuse. Your original post is quite the most remarkable one I've seen on here for some time, for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a problem. But I think it's come about because we do have a problem with racism, especially in the justice system - look at the incarceration stats, and if you've got excuses for that, look at the stop and search stats. If there was less racism around, then there wouldn't be so much justification for people to assume that when a non-white person was accused of something there was racism involved. Not that that helps us now, but it rebuts the "it's all down to PC gawn mad!!1!" accusation - no, it's down to racism in the first place.

(Not sure how much I believe the "we were scared we'd be accused of racism" excuse anyway, mind you. It's not like we're good at prosecuting white people accused of raping children either, historically.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    It's terribly British, too. Maybe we're just too damned polite? An allegation of racism sticks like shit though, as bad as paedophilia. We're most of us here guilty of it, posters like Puzzler for those that remember him got himself labelled a racist, rightly or wrongly, and could never live it down. Do you want to be known forever as a racist? I can't see any change in our path on this.
    It's a bit hard to live something down when you keep doing it :D Maybe if Puzzler had stopped turning up in every thread about Muslims and saying horrifically racist things he'd have been able to live it down!
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been labelled as racist and to be totally honest, it's water off a duck's back.

I know what I am and what I'm not and if people on here want to "judge" me (someone none of you have met), then fill your boots. I need to justify myself to nobody.

As it happens I'm not racist, but the biggest accusers of racism are those who feel the need to justify their own position on such matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    (Not sure how much I believe the "we were scared we'd be accused of racism" excuse anyway, mind you. It's not like we're good at prosecuting white people accused of raping children either, historically.)
    I think the fact that it's clear as day the media itself shares the same fear lends a hell of a lot of credence to the argument, myself. They often bent over backwards to avoid any mention of a racial trend in these crimes.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember that thread. Posters were more interested in pulling apart his motives for using the word "asian" than in discussing the fact that thousands of kids were getting abused and the authorities were turning a blind eye in the name of "community relations".

It was almost a textbook example highlighting why authorities were afraid to act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes it is those damn loony lefty liberals again. Gee this forum is getting more like Fox News everyday.

Can you explain why this abuse was not dealt with then? Giving a proper concise answer.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that thread. Posters were more interested in pulling apart his motives for using the word "asian" than in discussing the fact that thousands of kids were getting abused and the authorities were turning a blind eye in the name of "community relations".

It was almost a textbook example highlighting why authorities were afraid to act.

Bliddy sickening aint it......:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I think the fact that it's clear as day the media itself shares the same fear lends a hell of a lot of credence to the argument, myself. They often bent over backwards to avoid any mention of a racial trend in these crimes.
    They don't often mention gender trends in crime, or height trends, or whether the perpetrator is left-handed, either.

(But if you think the media's too lefty and PC we're probably too far apart on this issue to come to an agreement anyway!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Can you explain why this abuse was not dealt with then? Giving a proper concise answer.
    Can you do the same for the Savile abuse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't often mention gender trends in crime, or height trends, or whether the perpetrator is left-handed, either.

(But if you think the media's too lefty and PC we're probably too far apart on this issue to come to an agreement anyway!)
    I don't believe I used the terms "lefty" or "PC" at all. I find it undeniable that they went out of their way to deliberately play down or often omit completely the racial aspect of these crimes. Do you disagree, and find it just something that never even came to mind for them?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a shame wns_195 had his post removed. It is one of the best examples of victim blaming I have seen on here.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    Bliddy sickening aint it......:(

I find it sad that there are some people so wrapped up in their own political identities and ideologies that they wilfully forget that there are real people suffering behind these stories and statistics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really liked The Puzzler :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you do the same for the Savile abuse?

Lol. Completely different. And you know it.

I am certain that most Pakistani people would be sickened nothing was done about this abuse. And they wouldn't find it racist if men in their community were arrested. It's the white lefty liberals which don't do anything.

It's not quite the same but it's like when some schools tell children not to make Christmas cards in case it offends Muslims etc. I have never met a muslim that is offended by a Christmas card. It's the mostly white lefty liberals which make these rules and end up creating resentment and racism as the less intelligent people in our society think muslims actually asked for no Christmas cards in schools.