Options

Its Autumn!

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today, meteorologically speaking, is the first day of Autumn and it will run until the last day of November.

And there is some good weather ahead so enjoy the season:)

Of all the seasons, autumn offers the most to man and requires the least of him. ~Hal Borland

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also offers the most spiders too ;-)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I love Autumn, but there is something rather sad about the season as well. Whether it is because Summer's over and there's only a long Winter to look forward to, I don't know, but it's a time of year that always makes me feel a bit reflective. Hard to explain really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I love Autumn, but there is something rather sad about the season as well. Whether it is because Summer's over and there's only a long Winter to look forward to, I don't know, but it's a time of year that always makes me feel a bit reflective. Hard to explain really.

I think as one gets older Spring becomes the season that is welcomed the most
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonna stock up on rice pudding and soup ....
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer to use the traditional astronomical dates, so the Autumnal Equinox is the first day of Autumn for me, and there's still another three weeks of summer left yet. :)
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »

Thanks for that gem of knowledge...eek!!!😱

Time to stick my trousers in my socks then!😳
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to use the traditional astronomical dates, so the Autumnal Equinox is the first day of Autumn for me, and there's still another three weeks of summer left yet. :)

Me too.
    The leaves on the trees haven't changed colour yet and temperatures are still in the high teens/ twenties so how is it Autumn?
    Similarly, in early December leaves are still on the trees, it's very unlikely there will have been any snow yet, so how is that Winter?

But we have this discussion on DS every year at this time and it's pretty futile, really.
    Lets all just enjoy the weather ( good, bad or indifferent ) and the beautiful scenery in our countryside, whatever the season happens to be. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do not refer to weather but to astronomy, as seasons are really about weather and plant life its best to go with the Met Office, otherwise you are left looking like a numpty saying that the 20th of December is still autumn!:D
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't understand the astronomical dates. Why is Midsummer (the longest day) the start of summer? And why is Midwinter (the shortest day) the start of winter? :confused:

Personally, seeing as we live quite far north, the seasons should be divided unequally with: November, December, January and February being Winter, March and April being Spring, May June, July and August being summer, and September and October being Autumn.

I see Autumn and Spring as being the transitional periods between summer and winter. November definitely feels more wintery than autumnal and May definitely feels a lot more like summer. In fact most of May was more "summery" than August.
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    I miss summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    They do not refer to weather but to astronomy, as seasons are really about weather and plant life its best to go with the Met Office, otherwise you are left looking like a numpty saying that the 20th of December is still autumn!:D

And the weather is directly affected by the height of the sun in the sky, in the UK for example, which is dependent on the time of year, so the two are inextricably linked.

That would be a bit like saying it is Spring on 2nd March when there's 6" of snow on the ground because the Met Office say so, then? :)

Except that I'm intelligent enough to realise that saying any specific date as the first day of any season is a man-made construct that has no relevance to the outside world.

The Met Office only use those dates to make their statisical analysis easier, they are no more valid than using the equinox of solstice as definitist start to a season, both are as inaccurate as the other. They were only a guide in times past when people couldn't read or write to know when to start carrying out tasks throughout the farming year. They have no real relevance today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the astronomical dates. Why is Midsummer (the longest day) the start of summer? And why is Midwinter (the shortest day) the start of winter? :confused:

Personally, seeing as we live quite far north, the seasons should be divided unequally with: November, December, January and February being Winter, March and April being Spring, May June, July and August being summer, and September and October being Autumn.

I see Autumn and Spring as being the transitional periods between summer and winter. November definitely feels more wintery than autumnal and May definitely feels a lot more like summer. In fact most of May was more "summery" than August.

If you were a farmer 500 years ago and couldn't read or write you would have understood the relevance. The passing of the longest day meant the nights were starting to draw in so it was time to think about the harvest, etc,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah but....

Midsummer Day is not the longest day. It isn't even the 21st or 22nd June. It is the 2nd Quarter Day of the year (after Lady Day, before Michelmas) and is on the 24th June.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »

I've already had three in the house just over the past week :(
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has spiders stop?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Has spiders stop?

No, they is not stop. :D

It's definitely spider season. I'm spotting about four or five a day in the house at the moment. Good thing I don't mind them. If I can be bothered, I take them outside to save them from my spider-loving cat. He likes to hold them in his mouth, with the legs dangling out. :o
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Yes it is.

I can't believe that we're into september already! :(
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    I miss summer.

Aww so soon? Oh well, only another 9 months to the next one ;-) :D
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Ive got an orb weaver spider making a huge web and sitting in the middle of it in my yard. It starts at the wall and goes right across to the kitchen window. The other morning it was rianing and when I went in to the yard the rain was all over the web it looked lovely where spidee had gone I dont know :D

But he was back the next day. Im not a big creepy crawlie fan but Ive quite taken to this one. ..

I love this time of year autumn and winter are my favorite seasons hate hot weather.