Options

houdini, channel 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched this on catch-up from yetserday, I thought it was very good, and learnt some things about his life, I did not know, great acting as well from Adrien Brody, and the cast.

Comments

• Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just checked online and many of the incidents shown are not fact
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »

Maybe because it's a drama and not a documentary.

I've recorded this, hoping I get chance to watch it when I get home from work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really, that a shame, must admit I did not check, still a good drama.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know enough about his life story to know if it was historically correct or not but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although, having said that I did think it jumped around all over the place in terms of narrative and story line.
    I thought the acting was excellent, particularly Adrien Brody (and even Barry from Eastenders in his brief scene as an American reporter).
    I'll definitely watch part 2 on Sunday. The Virgin on screen guide says about it... (in his later years)... "Houdini works to expose fake magicians and spiritualists", but surely that's ultimately what he was himself? None of them are ever 'real' its just all about admittedly clever trickery and convincing deception.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The choppy editing, when one continuous shot would have sufficed, I could have done without.
    What's the punch in the stomach thing supposed to be 'about', I'm guessing there's a metaphor there, it was used a bit too much just to be a link to what killed him.
    I wasn't totally concentrating though, so might have missed something.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......................What's the punch in the stomach thing supposed to be 'about', I'm guessing there's a metaphor there, it was used a bit too much just to be a link to what killed him..............................

I'm guessing it's just to show that he was accustomed to issuing that type of challenge. So that the circumstances of his death don't come out of the blue.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Watched this earlier. It was a decent watch but pretty obvious that a lot of the stuff shown wasn't true.

Adrien Brody was pretty good as Houdini i thought. Will give part 2 a watch.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, but would rather see only the truth.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If a program is going to be based on and named after a real life historical character then I expect it to stick largely to the facts.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Even if it is about a real life character who made their name dealing in illusion?
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It said based on a book, not sure if it was a true bio or fiction.

Houdini the psychology and the mystery or might have been magic??? Didn't catch the author.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You managed to find a website called "Tricks Houdini didn't Perform"? Or do you mean you simply failed to find anything to say he did do them?

Or did you find a webpage about either the book or programme, which pointed this out?

It makes a difference.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's okay to play around with a fictional character. When they have run out of James Bond books why not write another in the style of...

Or Sherlock Holmes. Why not bring him up to date.

But to play around with a character who lived a real life is not on.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange casting, Brody is tall, lean and angular, Houdini was small ,compact and muscular.

His life was interesting enough, no need to invent situations that didn't happen.
    I like the look of it, the Yanks do this early 20th century period drama very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was made for or by the history channel in the us so a lot of people aren't happy that fact merged with fiction
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the whole link with him being contacted by someone in government - something to do with spying?. I dont know Houdinis (real) story - I didn't even know what had killed him until I read a mention on twitter :-/ the assistant, was he based on someone in real life?.
  • Options
    cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the whole thing was slick, glossy and very easy to watch. It flowed well. Am I the only only that thought there were ad breaks every few minutes??
    Looking forward to part 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    What was the whole link with him being contacted by someone in government - something to do with spying?. I dont know Houdinis (real) story - I didn't even know what had killed him until I read a mention on twitter :-/ the assistant, was he based on someone in real life?.
    His assistant was british not American and not from a magic shop
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing the number of people above who obviously missed the start which said "this story is true and also fiction" - decide which is which.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Amazing the number of people above who obviously missed the start which said "this story is true and also fiction" - decide which is which.

Well, seeing as I tuned in halfway through, yes, I did miss that at the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His assistant was british not American and not from a magic shop

You don't see many of those, these days.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »

I didn't see the beginning either, missed the first couple of minutes.
    gomezz wrote: »
    Even if it is about a real life character who made their name dealing in illusion?

Seems like they've used the fact that he was an illusionist as licence to 'spice things up'
    I know next to buggerall about his life, so I've got no clue what bits are true and fake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see the beginning either, missed the first couple of minutes.

Seems like they've used the fact that he was an illusionist as licence to 'spice things up'
    I know next to buggerall about his life, so I've got no clue what bits are true and fake.

Same here.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The choppy editing, when one continuous shot would have sufficed, I could have done without.
    What's the punch in the stomach thing supposed to be 'about', I'm guessing there's a metaphor there, it was used a bit too much just to be a link to what killed him.
    I wasn't totally concentrating though, so might have missed something.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's just to show that he was accustomed to issuing that type of challenge. So that the circumstances of his death don't come out of the blue.

It is said that Houdini often proclaimed that he could survive any blow to his abdomen - hence many people being given the chance to land a blow over the years. It is very relevant to see this established because it was indirectly, to a greater or lesser extent, involved in his death - a student had asked if the claim about the blow to the stomach was true, but started landing the blows before Houdini had properly tensed the muscles in his stomach. This hastened the rupturing of the appendix that was already 'rumbling' in Houdini's abdomen, which in turn eventually led to his death a few days later (Houdini initially didn't seek medical help, and when he did it was too late). Ironically he died on Halloween of 1926, 7 days after the initial blows to the stomach. I'd imagine that's why they're labouring this from the start in this story of his life - and at least that bit is based on reality!

There's a brilliant website www.thegreatharryhoudini.com which has lots of fascinating links to aspect of his life and 'art'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the second part on carch-up, and even though some of it was fiction, I did enjoy it, and fine acting, with a mix if American and British actors.