Options

Why do they keep insisting on putting known people on?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
Forum Member
Kym Marsh's daughter, that guy from the kids TV show - both didn't get through and clearly only got on the show because of who they are. It's ridiculous - I'd prefer everyday people on.

Turned the episode off halfway through, and will not be watching any more (Just like last year!).

Comments

• Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Kym Marsh's daughter, that guy from the kids TV show - both didn't get through and clearly only got on the show because of who they are. It's ridiculous - I'd prefer everyday people on.

They may include these people, like the Osmond kid a season or two ago, in an attempt to show that it's not who you know but what you can do that counts. KM's daughter wasn't terrible, just not good enough, yet.
    InMyArms wrote: »
    Turned the episode off halfway through, and will not be watching any more (Just like last year!).

That's a shame, as you missed out on some very good 'everyday people' of the kind you say you'd like to watch.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim must have thought daughter would get through because of her. Which is wrong and I am glad she didn't because she wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's all about giving people a second chance as they do on the X Factor with people who have been in other talent shows.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wish the judges would be more honest in saying why they didn't turn. They all seem a bit scared of giving constructive critisism
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't describe Kym Marsh's daughter and some guy from a children's TV show who was in a costume are known people.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Most of the 'known' people are not selected, maybe they have them on to show that they are open minded and give every voice a chance?

The two 'known' ones last night didn't sing that well in my opinion. So I hope they weren't chosen over better singers just because they are 'known' - although Kym Marsh's daughter isn't really known, and the guy who used to play Bungle spent his screen time in a big furry suit with his face obscured, so he's not really known either.

I suppose they think including such people adds a bit more interest?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have had Bungle through as I can't stand Mustang Sally at the best of times, let alone a Karaoke version.
    Kym Marsh's daughter looks like a typical sulky teenager who has delusions just because her mother is moderately well known.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I have to agree Kym Marsh's daughter was out of her depths singing Clarity. If someone is capable of pulling it off then go for it, but when you're only an ok singer it isn't going to work. She also sounded nervous (which is understandable) but that just makes it worse when you're trying to sing a song with big money notes. They end up just sounding like penny notes instead.

As for the fella who played Bungle in Rainbow, he was just a typical pub singer. Yes, he can sing in tune but there was absolutely nothing about his voice that made him special. Just glorified karaoke. He was the closest last night to something I'd expect to see on the X Factor live shows, not The Voice.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the bird who'd co-wrote with Rudimental? She was 'known' in certain circles.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These 'famous people' are on there to be rejected.

The 'judges' have a good idea what they are going to be hearing
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Sort of goes against the whole raison d'etre of the show, if true.
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I don't think that's true. They've had people go through before who had been sucessful. there was one of 5 Star and Cleoplatra that spring to mind.

I think having a famous mum or having had a tv career in the past would certainly open doors to get them an audition, but neither were really at the level to go through. I thought Kim Marsh's daughter had a nice voice but was clearly far too nervous and it showed in her voice.

Why would they - neither of whom are having success at the moment - go on and be deliberately not good enough? They didn't go through because others were better.

I think an awful lot of those who don't get through aren't shown. They pick the ones with added interest to show, such as the 16 year old boy and also these two because there is an aspect to them that people know.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the bird who'd co-wrote with Rudimental? She was 'known' in certain circles.

I did not think she was special I think her diction was not great
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That 'I was Bungle' was a bit of a misrepresentation. He wasn't the Bungle we all knew, that was Stanley Bates who played him from the first show in 1973 until 1989.

The guy on the Voice was the third incarnation, I believe.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's partly to do with generating a bit of extra interest; some might respond to the idea of witnessing a potential comeback. In some ways though, I'd rather see people who haven't had any success, at least not as singers, benefit from the exposure. I think the Voice is more about offering that initial exposure than "creating a star" whereas the X Factor is more about the latter, though often in the very short term. (they interviewed Howard Rose on local radio yesterday, and he said he very much values just the opportunity to be seen and heard; he accepts that the rest may very well be up to him).

That being said, I enjoyed Cleo Higgins in particular on The Voice.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I just wish the judges would be more honest in saying why they didn't turn. They all seem a bit scared of giving constructive critisism

"You were brilliant. I didn't turn round. Now I regret it. Have a nice life.
    NEXT"
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    That 'I was Bungle' was a bit of a misrepresentation. He wasn't the Bungle we all knew, that was Stanley Bates who played him from the first show in 1973 until 1989.

Ah, when he did his Bungle voice, I did think "That's not Bungle!". He sounded more like George.