Options

HP 7" tablet, full windows + 1yr MS office £75

oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Awesome deal from microsoft.

New (not refurbished) HP signature 7" tablet with full windows 8.1 with Bing + 1yr MS office 2013 (£60 if purchased standalone) for £75 (£25 below any other competitors at the moment)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/HP-Stream-7-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308686300

This is a full windows PC not cut down RT version.
I have similar on Linx tablet and it works well.

Can connect screen to TV using hdmi cable (or chromecast), and a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and you have a full PC!

Ok screen is small in desktop mode, which makes installation of apps a bit fiddly, but on my Linx tablet, I installed Teamviewer (free), and connect via my normal laptop, and mostly configured it remotely. There is also a great freeware app called touchmouse point that turns you tablet into a full (or floating screen) touchpad. Personally I prefer full screen mode. This emulates a typical laptop touchpad, and I find it is easy to slect items etc using pointer - much better than fiddly finger stabs, or even using a stylus pen.

I cannot obviously comment of HP performance, but my similar spec LINX is responsive - obviously no use for serious gaming or long term data entry. Ipaly back videos from google drive with no buffering etc.

To me where these 8.1 tablets score over android or apples, is that I can easily connect remotely over internet. I know it is possible to do this with (say) some high end samsung tablets but I found there is quite a time lag of a couple of seconds or so before tablet responds. On my LINX it is virtually instantaneous.

Another big plus is easy backups - you can even use Macrium etc.

I can now give one to a disabled relative, and maintain it for her over the internet.

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows RT seems to be well and truly dead. MS is bringing some update for the RT devices, but they do not call it Windows 10. Any interest was curbed by Intel Atom processor, which can offer full Windows, a nice performance and a battery life, too. I have an 8'' tablet (Dell Venue Pro 8) and desktop is definitely fiddly, there, I can't imagine it on 7'' screen :D Perhaps Windows 10 moves more settings to be touch friendly and there will be fewer reasons to go to desktop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Windows RT seems to be well and truly dead. MS is bringing some update for the RT devices, but they do not call it Windows 10. Any interest was curbed by Intel Atom processor, which can offer full Windows, a nice performance and a battery life, too. I have an 8'' tablet (Dell Venue Pro 8) and desktop is definitely fiddly, there, I can't imagine it on 7'' screen :D Perhaps Windows 10 moves more settings to be touch friendly and there will be fewer reasons to go to desktop.

In fact, I find I am using the modern ui much more on the tablet (omigod - I am morphing!) but I tend to set up as much on tablets up front (using a remote connection as I said above), and then only use for accessing (mostly video) apps e.g. netflix, bbc iplayer.

Many will say an android/apple will do that, but I find many apps on android are buggy compared with windows version - 4OD works fine on my new tablet, but on android often freezes, especially at advert breaks etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You also have a special MS version of Flash as well, which should be safer than the original one and is still useful for some web sites.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the HP tablet had HDMI out I would be hitting the 'buy' button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    If the HP tablet had HDMI out I would be hitting the 'buy' button.

I've just noticed that it doesn't come with HDMI out as well.

The Linx 7 does and also comes with a 3,500 mAh battery instead of the HP's 3,000 mAh.

Also, the L7 has a 2 mp front camera, where as the HP's is 0.3 mp.

Amazon are doing the Linx 7 for an extra £2.61 and of course free delivery so I went for that over the HP.

L7 is the better buy unless I've missed something. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    I've just noticed that it doesn't come with HDMI out as well.

The Linx 7 does and also comes with a 3,500 mAh battery instead of the HP's 3,000 mAh.

Also, the L7 has a 2 mp front camera, where as the HP's is 0.3 mp.

Amazon are doing the Linx 7 for an extra £2.61 and of course free delivery so I went for that over the HP.

L7 is the better buy unless I've missed something. :confused:

I agree Linx 7 spec is better, but I now have the HP7, and it has a more robust physical build than the Linx 7 which is why I bought it (for a partially disabled person who is prone to dropping things).
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whichever has 2gb Ram, go for that.
    Once proper non mse security stuff etc is on 1gb is too crippling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if Linx tablets are cutting any corners, maybe not, but one can expect certain quality from HP.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Not sure if Linx tablets are cutting any corners, maybe not, but one can expect certain quality from HP.

I think they're all cutting corners - it comes with the territory. I mean, who really only needs the 1 USB port (which is also the charging port) offered on, say, the linx? I mean, charging, USB stick, USB keyboard, USB mouse, tethering.....

USB gripe aside, the build quality of the linx is described as pretty good for the price - I've heard no complaints in that respect. I might get one for technical review for work (sort of cutdown Surface Pro for those who don't need that sort of outlay).
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can the Office 365 sub supplied with this or the Linx tablet be used on another PC (or MAC specifically) rather than directly on the tablet?
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Whichever has 2gb Ram, go for that.
    Once proper non mse security stuff etc is on 1gb is too crippling

Also, from the recent Preview builds, it seems as though Windows 10 will require 2GB RAM minimum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The build quality is awesome.

The audio is a bit low and my bluetooth has stopped working but I think thats a Wndows 8.1 issue because loads of other people are having trouble with BT on other devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, from the recent Preview builds, it seems as though Windows 10 will require 2GB RAM minimum.
    Cynically, as usual for me, I I'm quite sure it will be a bit 'up in the air'.

If they have undermined Android enough then 2GB it can be to enhance later sales sand profits. It really is a bit of a clone of that past Wintel netbook strategy.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that is the minimum requirement, no way am I going to upgrade my W8.1 tablet.

W10 is running fine on my laptop (i7, 8gb), but the tablet only has 2gb. Which seems to run W8.1 pretty smoothly. 2gb minimum would likely mean a below par experience.
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    If that is the minimum requirement, no way am I going to upgrade my W8.1 tablet.

Yeah, in terms of the 64-bit / x64 releases, Build 9841 is the most recent version of Windows 10 Technical Preview that can be installed on systems with only 1GB RAM (not sure if it's the same with the 32-bit / x86 releases). Let's hope Microsoft relaxes the requirements for the final release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W8.1 is as follows:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

And while you can run 64bit code on the new Atom, I am pretty sure that there will be 32bit version of the W10 with similar requirements. People just enjoy spreading panic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W8.1 is as follows:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

And while you can run 64bit code on the new Atom, I am pretty sure that there will be 32bit version of the W10 with similar requirements. People just enjoy spreading panic.

It would be a retrograde step to only have a Modern UI on a tablet, however given Microsoft's spectacular ability to shoot themselves in the foot ........

I am confident some genius will work out how to put full W10 on tablet as done with 8.1.

Following is quite interesting.

http://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2014/04/10/what-is-windows-image-boot-wimboot/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wimboot is interesting, but what happens when you start installing updates. Or do you just patch the big file on a bit level? But then you lose the RTM version of the recovery partition... eta: Oh, they probably just redirect the file pointers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that once again MS knows what is best for me. Apparently you can have desktop on any device, it's just a question of some mysterious setting. Why not leave it to the owner to decide. Maybe I will have to connect with the Remote Desktop or Team Viewer to make it usable on 7" screen, but it would be my choice >:(
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like that once again MS knows what is best for me. Apparently you can have desktop on any device, it's just a question of some mysterious setting. Why not leave it to the owner to decide. Maybe I will have to connect with the Remote Desktop or Team Viewer to make it usable on 7" screen, but it would be my choice >:(

Its still a beta. It isn't final. Features will be added. Features will be changed.

And most people don't care about such settings, all they tend to care about is that it works - and so far, Windows 10 does seem to work quite well. Although as I also said, I'm not going to install on my tablet (yet) as it doesn't have enough space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious how they manage the SD card style(eMMC) memory on this for longevity on full blown caching Windows.

The reason tasks get killed on the likes of IOS and Android has two purposes, one being to also to prolong the life of the embedded MMC memory, which like the SD card is not quite good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Its still a beta. It isn't final. Features will be added. Features will be changed.

And most people don't care about such settings, all they tend to care about is that it works - and so far, Windows 10 does seem to work quite well. Although as I also said, I'm not going to install on my tablet (yet) as it doesn't have enough space.

Belfiore said so, he can of course change his mind, but it looked final.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-devices-screen-size-less-8-inches-will-not-have-desktop. For them anything smaller than 8" is very likely a phone.