Options

Band Aid 30 Drops Out Of The Top Ten

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVScourge wrote: »
    Its not in the top 10 and Christmas isn't even over.

Total sales are still OK though. It hasn't flopped. Remember that record sales are not what they were. Listen I am not saying it's huge like the first one. But to say it's a disaster sales wise is utter nonsense.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably misjudged the way music is consumed now. It's very rare for any release to sustain sales at the top for more than a week or two these days. The CD sales might boost the song a bit but I don't think they'll shift that many extra copies, certainly not to bump it up to no.1 for Christmas.

There have been an astonishing 40 no.1 singles this year, that's about twice the average number than the 1980s when the first Band Aid single came out (in fact when the original came out in 1984 there were only 14 no.1's, largely thanks to Frankie Goes To Hollywood dominating the year) and out of this year's chart toppers only 6 have stayed at the top for more than a week.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    The original will never be topped as the talent actually could write and sing music without autotune.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really not surprised. The whole thing seemed rushed and low rent and I think Geldof really didn't help things with his little speechs. I don't like to speak ill of something that was intended for charity, but I think the whole thing could have been handled very differently..
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has currently rebounded to #1 in the unmentionables, which can be mentioned tomorrow afternoon with an extra days data.

However, its physical sales are relatively poor considering HMV, and numerous supermarkets are stocking it (including Asda pre-ordering 250,000 CDs).

At the very least I would expect Mark Ronson ft Bruno Mars to overtake it by Sunday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    No it hasn't. Get it into or perspective. 50K would be appalling.

Yes, it has.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I'm really not surprised. The whole thing seemed rushed and low rent and I think Geldof really didn't help things with his little speechs. I don't like to speak ill of something that was intended for charity, but I think the whole thing could have been handled very differently..

Geldof is right. It's not a doctoral thesis.
    It's about saving some lives. But maybe saving lives ain't the cool fad this Christmas.
    Maybe the British public don't give a toss looking at the sales of the record. Maybe the Africans don't either.
  • Options
    TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I find it really appropriate, that Ebola came along on the year ending in a number 4. Ten years ago it was Darfur. God forbid a part of Africa has another disaster in 2024 or Bob Geldof will rub his hands with glee at a prospect of a Band Aid 40 and will use the same song but add extra lyrics to be relevant with the current disaster.
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geldof is right. It's not a doctoral thesis.
    It's about saving some lives. But maybe saving lives ain't the cool fad this Christmas.
    Maybe the British public don't give a toss looking at the sales of the record. Maybe the Africans don't either.

*sigh

While providing aid is importance and even a little makes a difference it's been stated repeatedly that the Band Aid method has serious flaws.

The fact that actual people from Africa that know what they're talking about have publicly stated it does more harm than good should perhaps suggest to Geldof that maybe he needs to revise his methods if he's serious about saving lives but he publicly responds to these claims with one word; "bollocks" which suggests he doesn't give a toss.

Also isn't the point of a charity record to give people that may not otherwise think of donating an incentive by buying a song that entertains them? Now making a hit song isn't a science but I think most can agree this was a poor effort.

Of course Mr Geldof responds to this by saying he feels we should buy the song even if we don't like it and buy it multiple times. Buy the physical copy and leave it in the store which defeats the object of making a record in the first place. Why not give a second option where they can donate directly?
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farscape wrote: »
    *sigh

While providing aid is importance and even a little makes a difference it's been stated repeatedly that the Band Aid method has serious flaws.

The fact that actual people from Africa that know what they're talking about have publicly stated it does more harm than good should perhaps suggest to Geldof that maybe he needs to revise his methods if he's serious about saving lives but he publicly responds to these claims with one word; "bollocks" which suggests he doesn't give a toss.

Also isn't the point of a charity record to give people that may not otherwise think of donating an incentive by buying a song that entertains them? Now making a hit song isn't a science but I think most can agree this was a poor effort.

Of course Mr Geldof responds to this by saying he feels we should buy the song even if we don't like it and buy it multiple times. Buy the physical copy and leave it in the store which defeats the object of making a record in the first place. Why not give a second option where they can donate directly?

What a load of rubbish. How can generating a few million be anything but helpful?
    also, how is your charity record doing in the charts. I thought so. Lucky there were no Internet forum fools around in 1985.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    This is not about charity, if it was Bono and Geldof would have bunged a million in each and had done with it. Its about massaging egos.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame. Wonder what Geldof will do next to get himself some publicity.

Jump into a threshing machine, I hope.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Total sales are still OK though. It hasn't flopped. Remember that record sales are not what they were. Listen I am not saying it's huge like the first one. But to say it's a disaster sales wise is utter nonsense.

Apart from the fact that singles sales are at an all time high that is a completely accurate statement.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A complete waste of time and a gimmick. With it's sales the song must of made about 100k for the Ebola cause. Ok, that's great for those people suffering but in terms of charity record sales that's very poor indeed. They'd have made more money having a whip-round from all the artists in the room, and that's not even an exaggeration!.
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish. How can generating a few million be anything but helpful?
    also, how is your charity record doing in the charts. I thought so. Lucky there were no Internet forum fools around in 1985.:confused:

Because you have to ask where is the money going?

As many people have explained on here before the money goes to Band Aid the company. Different charitable organisations have to then petition Band Aid for money and undergo a lengthy review process while they decide whether you're worthy with no guarantees you'll anything.

Not to mention that it still promotes this false idea that Africa is some giant arid desert where everything is disease ridden and starving, I can accept the lyrics to the song back in '85 because I believe it was a sincere effort but at this point Geldof has been made aware that but still continues to use this method.

Also it's still supposed to be a creative work. People are still allowed to judge it based on whether they like the song or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact that singles sales are at an all time high that is a completely accurate statement.

The top 10 sales this week is actually down on last year.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    The top 10 sales this week is actually down on last year.

Single sales have picked up considerably these past few years, especially when compared to 10 years ago when tracks made #1 on less than 20k.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Single sales have picked up considerably these past few years, especially when compared to 10 years ago when tracks made #1 on less than 20k.

I know that but downloads are starting to decline in the US and UK. Streaming is on the rise.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not about charity, if it was Bono and Geldof would have bunged a million in each and had done with it. Its about massaging egos.

What makes you think they haven't? If they publicised it they would just get criticised further for not giving even more or for publicity seeking self aggrandisement.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVScourge wrote: »
    I find it really appropriate, that Ebola came along on the year ending in a number 4. Ten years ago it was Darfur. God forbid a part of Africa has another disaster in 2024 or Bob Geldof will rub his hands with glee at a prospect of a Band Aid 40 and will use the same song but add extra lyrics to be relevant with the current disaster.

I'm surprised we didn't have one in 1994, considering what happened in Africa that year.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Band Aid 30 is no.2 on the chart update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Band Aid 30 is no.2 on the chart update.

What 3 weeks ago?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What 3 weeks ago?

Today!
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I wonder how many copies him and his family will buy? I can't stand pompous, self important pricks that tell hard working, struggling folk what to spend their money on. I hope his shitty record sinks without trace. It's absolutely f#cking terrible.

More so when the problems are often not money at all. Its a very complex system, one which often involves a foreign power that is simply privatising a nations resources in order to get it very cheaply and **** over those indigenous peoples. Not to mention, when those same foreign nations are all to happy to arm despots and tyrants to help keep the locals under control, then double dip and claim we need a war so they can shove more contracts to their fat friends in the military complex.

Bob may as well ask for tennis equipment and anal lube for all the good it will do.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I saw the cd of Band Aid 30 in Sainsbury yesterday. I wondered what other tracks were on there as at £3.99 there cannot be just the one track. There are four tracks:-

Do They Know Its Christmas (2014 version)
    Do They Know Its Christmas (2004 version)
    Do They Know Its Christmas(1989 version)
    Do They Know Its Christmas(1984 version)

So it like a Band Aid greatest hits cd!