Archiving to DVD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
Hi, new here so please forgive my ignorance.
I'm trying ot archive some recordings from the 9200 to free up some space, I don't really want to use scart to the DVD recorder.
I've found some posts but they seem to be quite old and I'm sure things must have moved on in that time.
I have downloaded the TS files onto my laptop but can't play them.
I opened one of them using ProjectX which has then given me a number of files (JFO, m2v, mp2 * 2, SUP and TXT), obivously the TXT file is an activity log but what do I do with the rest to get them onto a DVD.

I'm lookin for the most efficient way to do this and am not averes to paying for the software. I also don't want to become a DVD processing geek (havn't got the time ) I just want to know how to create watchable DVDs

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    gdcobra wrote: »
    Hi, new here so please forgive my ignorance.
    I'm trying ot archive some recordings from the 9200 to free up some space, I don't really want to use scart to the DVD recorder.
    I've found some posts but they seem to be quite old and I'm sure things must have moved on in that time.
    I have downloaded the TS files onto my laptop but can't play them.
    I opened one of them using ProjectX which has then given me a number of files (JFO, m2v, mp2 * 2, SUP and TXT), obivously the TXT file is an activity log but what do I do with the rest to get them onto a DVD.

I'm lookin for the most efficient way to do this and am not averes to paying for the software. I also don't want to become a DVD processing geek (havn't got the time ) I just want to know how to create watchable DVDs

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Software, VLC (free) will play just about any media file in the PC, and also convert between almost any two formats.
    VideoRedo will open, edit (frame-accurate) and convert .TS files to Mpeg2.
    VideoRedo TV Suite version will author and write DVDs straight from the .TS files, edits and menus included, much recommended for this specific task.

Nero Vision as included in Nero 7 - Nero 8 packages will flexibly create DVDs from many video file types.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hi nvingo, thanks for the reply.
    As I say I'm a bit ignorant on this subject so I'd just like to clarify a few points in your reply.

1) VLC will allow me to play the TS files on my computer but not do any conversion or writing to disk?

2) Video Redo will allow me to edit files but I will then need Nero or similar to do the disk writing?

3) Video Redo TV suite will do everything I need to go from a downloaded TS file to disk? Nero 8 may do this also?

If I've understood correctly option 3 appears to be the way to go as it has everything 'under one roof'
    Forum Member
    Hi nvingo, thanks for the reply.
    As I say I'm a bit ignorant on this subject so I'd just like to clarify a few points in your reply.

1) VLC will allow me to play the TS files on my computer but not do any conversion or writing to disk?
    VLC has many uses, including viewing, streaming, recording and converting, video and audio. It can change .TS into .MPG (and convert .AVI, WMV, FLV, .MP4 and several others into most formats too) all very useful, but it can't really "edit" nor write DVDs, but for free it is invaluable.
    2) Video Redo will allow me to edit files but I will then need Nero or similar to do the disk writing?
    Exactly. Video Redo can ONLY work with Mpeg files in .TS or .MPG containers, so .AVIs, .WMVs etc would need converting prior to inclusion, if it was desired to source videos in those formats.
    3) Video Redo TV suite will do everything I need to go from a downloaded TS file to disk? Nero 8 may do this also?

If I've understood correctly option 3 appears to be the way to go as it has everything 'under one roof'
    Yep. Video Redo TV Suite has that Mpeg source limitation, but does the exact job of Humax->DVD very well, even with static title menus.
    NeroVision is much more comprehensive, can include AVI and MP4 source material amongst others, and fully customiseable menus with audio and moving background video, and flexible compression to give the best quality setting using the whole 4.5Gb available space. But it is overkill when TVSuite is so simple and quick.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Just to support nvingo in recommending VideoReDo TV suite. It really is good and not expensive. Besides its tricks, above, you can alter sound sync and/or level. It will also accept .VOB files. If I don't use the Humax then another way of making a DVD from a TV recording is to record onto a DVD, then copy the .VOB files on the PC to HDD and use VideoReDo to edit (remove adverts???) and join them.
    Forum Member
    JamesE wrote: »
    Besides its tricks, above, you can alter sound sync and/or level. It will also accept .VOB files.
    Sorry, I missed that one as it isn't a feature I use. It's still an Mpeg2 stream in the .VOB file though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I've downloaded trial versions of VideoRedo TV Suite and Nero and been experimenting with both. One thing I did find is that I had one file which VR would have nothing to do with, kept comming up with messages about PID or something even though VLC will play it no problem, Nero was happy with it.

I've not checked prices yet but I guess from what you're saying Nero is more expensive?

Now I'm having problems getting Media eLinker to download the TS files, it was working perfectly at the w'end. Keeps disconnecting now, any suggestions?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I've downloaded trial versions of VideoRedo TV Suite and Nero and been experimenting with both. One thing I did find is that I had one file which VR would have nothing to do with, kept comming up with messages about PID or something even though VLC will play it no problem, Nero was happy with it.
    This might work:
    Tools; Options; Stream Parameters; "Ignore transport stream maps".
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    This might work:
    Tools; Options; Stream Parameters; "Ignore transport stream maps".

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=3159&highlight=pid+error

has the answer, you might need to increase the number to 20 for some files