Options

Breaking News: UK to get colder next week -20

Comments

• Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bad winters lead to great summers so this is fab news

Does that usually follow then? I muttered something similar the other day, and then immediately thought that I wouldn't be able to substantiate it at all if I was asked, only that it felt to me as that was the way it had happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Does that usually follow then? I muttered something similar the other day, and then immediately thought that I wouldn't be able to substantiate it at all if I was asked, only that it felt to me as that was the way it had happened.

I think it's just a myth/old wives tale, if you look back at the worst winters of the last last 50 years the summer that follows aren't usually particularly great and some have been pretty bad such as the summer of 63 after what is often labelled the worst winter in recent history. Last year was quite a bad winter probably the coldest and snowiest since mid 90's(until this winter) and the summer last year was crap.

The chance of a good summer here is never that great is it, regardless of what the winter was like!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a lot of faith in the weather forecast and the weather can vary a lot between the far north and the south.

So it could be very cold in Braemar and quite pleasant in Brighton.

I live in the north of the UK and can't remember many good summers up here.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah - there's no harsh weather coming.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Rob McElwee's comment half an hour ago on the BBC News channel. Some people have been able to use the word 'warm' to describe the weather today - they won't be able to use it again for - oh, a couple of weeks I should think. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't have a lot of faith in the weather forecast and the weather can vary a lot between the far north and the south.

So it could be very cold in Braemar and quite pleasant in Brighton.

I live in the north of the UK and can't remember many good summers up here.

I think it's going to be very cold just about everywhere, might not be as widespread snowy as last month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_8500000/8500755.stm
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Not expecting a repeat of the harsh conditions of earlier in the winter".

So just regular winter then, as opposed to uber-winter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of snow expected on the east coast of the United States this weekend, and this makes interesting reading - it seems the Brits aren't the only ones who ransack shops when the snow is coming!

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Supermarkets_ransacked_as_snow_stor_02052010.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    "Not expecting a repeat of the harsh conditions of earlier in the winter".

So just regular winter then, as opposed to uber-winter.

I think it was in reference to widespread snow, rather than the cold which looks pretty simular to earlier on in dec/jan, will feel even colder if we get an easterly windchill factor.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, watching the weekly weather forecast on BBC One before midday, this could be the first ever time that the Daily Express is completely right! :eek:

Grab my hat and humble pie, it looks like I am eating them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, watching the weekly weather forecast on BBC One before midday, this could be the first ever time that the Daily Express is completely right! :eek:

Grab my hat and humble pie, it looks like I am eating them.

Well no where near as bad as The Express made out. The next few days look frosty nights (generally 2-5 degrees below freezing), cold days (but not freezing), some snow showers the further the east you are but nothing significant either severe cold or snowy on the cards yet.

Towards the end of the week it may get more interesting in terms of widespread snow and into next week but it's all too far ahead to be sure. Does seem to be shaping up for couple of weeks of cold but remains to be seen what snow if much it may bring.
    UK Outlook for Thursday 11 Feb 2010 to Saturday 20 Feb 2010:

Rather cold or cold on Thursday and Friday with a mixture of bright spells and scattered sleet and snow showers, mainly in the north and east. Strong winds are also expected around some exposed eastern and southern coasts at times. The driest and brightest weather is expected in the northwest for much of the period. Overnight, frost is likely in most places, with locally severe frost likely inland. Remaining cold for the rest of the period with some snow or snow showers at times, particularly in eastern and some central areas, which may give some accumulations in places. There is also a risk of further bands of rain, sleet and snow spreading into the south, particularly later in the period.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Just seen this on itv news, weather is to turn colder next week, tempertures to drop to -20, and heavy snow falls in places

Just when we thought it was gone, artic winds it comes back

News item from the daily express

Yeah right....same old shit from the Express, they got it wrong plenty of times in the past, why should I believe this?

Talk about scaremongering....:sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The summer was good last year. Just it was May/June not July/August.

Which is great for those of us who are not in school/don't have kids :D we get the summer weather while the towns and beaches are still at work.

I am hoping for the same this year, early summers are great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My recollection of last summer is that it was one of the better ones as I do not like it too hot. It will always be warm in summer, and that's fair enough as far as I'm concerned. No need for blistering heat at all in my view. We also had a three month drought during the latter part of the summer leading in to autumn which turned all the grass brown, so there was no need to cut it. That was a nice bonus and if we get another one like it this year, I'll be well pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember ever having blistering heat in the UK. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember ever having blistering heat in the UK.

Indeed. I doesn't get above about 30. That's just warm.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad this has come out today, as I wasn't planning on going out and thus will now avoid any panic-buying morons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't remember ever having blistering heat in the UK. :)

You must remember July 2006? Temperatures around 35/36/37 degrees for several consecutive days. I'd call that pretty blistering, about as hot as you will get here, we are some way off from the equator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Aberdeenshire and when it gets about 60F people say "oh it's a bit close".

Just makes me laugh they haven't a clue.

When the sun shines in Aberdeen people think it's a UFO. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working in London in I think 1976 and that was a good summer but I'm usually in the northern UK.

One good summer in 34 years doesn't say much does it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was working in London in 1977 and that was a good summer but I'm usually in the northern UK.

One good summer in 33 years doesn't say much does it ?

Not sure what you mean, everyone knows the summers are generally rubbish here though it doesn't need to get above 30 degrees to be nice, 20-25 degrees with sunshine is very pleasant.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must remember July 2006?
    It even became pretty warm in Aberdeen. :D
    ...However, temperatures rose steadily day by day and 30 °C was reached at Aberdeen on the 17th, this being the highest temperature observed there since records began in 1942.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2006/july.html
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will just take each day as it comes.

Regarding the summers I grew up in the early/mid 90's and we had some good summers and reasonable winters (by that I mean cold and snow). 1995 was I think the hottest summer since 1976. And it didn't rain for about 6 weeks in a row.

In 2009 May/June were very good. July/August were a washout and then September/October were good. I like having a delayed summer that lasts into the autumn time, it gives you something to look forward to during the washout months.

I think alot of people who complained about last years summer are people who think of the summer as being when the kids are off school. That as I said was the washout period.
  • Options
    Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if more cold weather's on the way. It's really bitter down here in Brighton today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    It even became pretty warm in Aberdeen. :D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2006/july.html

30 eh and a record. :eek:

I remember it was a very warm and sunny month just about everywhere, that was the last what I'd call hot summer, the last 3 have been pretty wet though with the odd prolonged warm and sunny spells about.

Back on topic just seen the country tracks weekly forecast on Iplayer, cold everywhere, the usual suspects (NE,SE,E) likely to see the most snow all be it probably not that significant, then as the week progress showers and flurries likely to crop up everywhere across the country, again at this stage nothing significant. I think we need to see how it develops this week as the week after next may (or may not) bring more heavier snow.