WCW & Pay Per Views

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
Forum Member
So 10 years ago TNT closed down and was replaced by TCM and all of the WCW programmes moved to Bravo to the best of my knowledge did Thunder make it to Bravo? i know Nitro did

Pay Per Views
WCW had monthly pay per views like the WWF (now WWE)

so how did UK fans watch WCW PPVs like Starrcade, Great American Bash, Halloween Havoc etc? was it on TNT?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    ROTSSonDS wrote: »
    So 10 years ago TNT closed down and was replaced by TCM and all of the WCW programmes moved to Bravo to the best of my knowledge did Thunder make it to Bravo? i know Nitro did

Pay Per Views

so how did UK fans watch WCW PPVs like Starrcade, Great American Bash, Halloween Havoc etc? was it on TNT?

During WCW's run on Bravo, only Nitro was shown, not Thunder.

WCW PPV's never aired on TNT, but I think some were shown on the German stations which you could get on Sky analogue at the time.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WCW PPVs weren't showing in this country. Fans got them via tape traders, then eventually the official releases.

I'm not sure if Thunder was shown on UK tv? I don't think it was.

Used to love watching Nitro on Fridays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    During WCW's run on Bravo, only Nitro was shown, not Thunder.

WCW PPV's never aired on TNT, but I think some were shown on the German stations which you could get on Sky analogue at the time.

The channel was DSF.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if Thunder was shown on UK tv? I don't think it was.

Used to love watching Nitro on Fridays.

Thunder was shown after Nitro on TNT each Friday, although it was moved to Saturday night in late 1999.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel was DSF.
    DSF showed one classic WCW PPV a week- usually from the 1989-1993 era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »

I didn't actually have satellite at the time, I've just heard about it through friends, but that is cool.
  • Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »

No... On DSF was no PPV shown since 1997. The last PPV on German Free TV was World War III 1997. Starrcade 97 with Hogan-Sting was only on Pay-TV and later on DSF was only shown some Undercard Matches with many Cuts.
    Forum Member
    Lion_60 wrote: »
    No... On DSF was no PPV shown since 1997. The last PPV on German Free TV was World War III 1997. Starrcade 97 with Hogan-Sting was only on Pay-TV and later on DSF was only shown some Undercard Matches with many Cuts.

I remember watching Bash at The Beach 1998 on a tape delay of a few weeks on one of the German channels. Not sure which station it was on though.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did DSF also show wwe stuff?.I remember flicking through the channels a friend of mine had on his sky box & there was an episode of "Superstars Of Wrestling" which was in German.This would have been about 1994.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,702
    Forum Member
    I am sure Thunder did air on Bravo towards the end of WCW i an sure it was only for a month or 2 though
  • Lion_60Lion_60 Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I remember watching Bash at The Beach 1998 on a tape delay of a few weeks on one of the German channels. Not sure which station it was on though.

Perhaps you watched DSF Action, the Pay-TV channel. The whole PPV wasn't on DSF.

Yes. DSF showed also WWE-Shows. But not 94. WWF was on DSF about 1997/1998 with Superstars and later a bad cutted version from RAW.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DSF Action had WWF, WCW, ECW and some other stuff. It wasn't just all wrestling though. I think this occurred with less wrestling being shown on the analogue DSF at that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Did DSF also show wwe stuff?.I remember flicking through the channels a friend of mine had on his sky box & there was an episode of "Superstars Of Wrestling" which was in German.This would have been about 1994.

I cannot remember if DSF was showing WWF at that time, but I do recall the channel Tele 5 (which if I remember correctly was replaced with DSF around 92/93) used to show all WWF programming, including PPV's on a month's delay.

Talking of WCW, does anyone remember the NWA/WCW on RTL's 'Catch Up' back in 1990?
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Yeah you could only watch WCW PPVs on German TV channels at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROTSSonDS wrote: »

Pay Per Views

I had to rely on DSF to watch the PPVS alough I had a mate in aussie land who sent me the latest ones.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random bump on this thread.

But whilst i'm here...What was the WCW show that aired on Channel 5 on friday nights?
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »

But whilst i'm here...What was the WCW show that aired on Channel 5 on friday nights?
    I only have a vague recollection of it but pretty sure it was Nitro.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member

If it's the one with the Batman type sound effects, that was Worldwide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember DSF showing WCW Saturday Night when the channel launched on Astra in early 1993 and it was very close to US transmission (Hollywood Blondes would often feature).

The NWA and WCW (Pro-Wrestling) would be shown in certain ITV regions about six weeks behind from 1990-1992.
    We only saw "squash" matches.

Sky Sports did show WCW for a brief time in the early 90s but not for very long.

SuperBrawl I and II, Halloween Havoc 91 and Starcade 91 were released on VHS tapes in the UK in the Summer of 1992.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    TNT uk showed Nitro and thunder....it was heaven!! they also aired wcw road wild in 98,and C5 used to show wcw worldwide too.

I will never forget the day i turned on the station to see it rebranded as TCM airing a black and white sean connery film on nitro's time slot,i didnt have bravo so i had to get my friend to tape it for me!!

I used to buy wcw vhs in my local video store,they used to order them in for me.

wCw Nitro.
    wCw Thunder.
    wCw saturday night.
    wCw worldwide.
    wCw pro. Any one ever see wcw pro? was it aired on uk tv?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading in an issue of Powerslam that Bravo were planning to add Thunder to their schedule in January 2001, but it never happened.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty sure the UK didn't get any of the PPV's at all
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hehe
    i have halloween havoc on tape ..... guess which one :D
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    If it's the one with the Batman type sound effects, that was Worldwide.

Was this a Bottom Line style show? Or more of a Sunday Night Heat?

I vaguely remember tuning in once and thinking it was awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Was this a Bottom Line style show? Or more of a Sunday Night Heat?

I vaguely remember tuning in once and thinking it was awful.

WWE heat was a copy of the WCW saturday night format and bottom line was a copy of the wcw worldwide format.