Options

Bruce & Lance - Yay or Nay?

13»

Comments

• Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    spider9 wrote: »
    I don't mind Brucie doing his turn every year and thought the idea of singing was Lance was good.

But the song was a bit strange - even with Ola dressed as Goldilocks. :confused:

Mind you if Robin, Brendan and Vincent had appeared as the 3 bears it would have livened it up! :D

We expected bears to make an appearance too! (Although my mum rather mischievously suggested Widders could have made a return as Mummy Bear :))

You're right that it was a strange song though, one I've never heard before in my life. Is it some sort of jazz "standard"?

It would have been better if they'd sung something Christmassy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lance - lovely voice.

Bruce - awful, just awful.

Song choice - strange.

Dance routine - half-hearted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Every time they do this the doddery one is always upstaged. He needs to be put out of his misery, or is that our misery sufferting him.

Now where's my rifle
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was Bruce's swan song, wasn't it??

If not, I'll go and jump off a cliff to demonstrate my disappointment.

(PS shall select a very small cliff with plenty of pillows on the beach, and maybe Artem to catch me - shutup, shutup, wake up getalife stop fantasising - aaaargh - no, changed my mind, if no Artem then it'll be a very high cliff with Brucie doing the catching.)
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all a bit weird. The old boy can no longer sustain a whole song by himself and only a couple of seconds of dancing. I thought it was rather sad. I haven't got a clue what Ola was up to - apart from earning her fee, that is.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    We expected bears to make an appearance too! (Although my mum rather mischievously suggested Widders could have made a return as Mummy Bear :))

You're right that it was a strange song though, one I've never heard before in my life. Is it some sort of jazz "standard"?

It would have been better if they'd sung something Christmassy.

The song was written by Ray Ellington and recorded by The Ray Ellington Quartet decades ago.
    Ray was Lance's father, his was a well respected jazz quartet in their time.

Appeared regularly in "The Goon Show" on BBC radio.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Nice-Ray-Ellington/dp/B00005QG1X/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1292252747&sr=1-4
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    The song was written by Ray Ellington and recorded by The Ray Ellington Quartet decades ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Nice-Ray-Ellington/dp/B00005QG1X/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1292252747&sr=1-4

Ah, fair enough, thanks for that.

Not very well-versed in takes drag from cigarette in a Fast Show "Jazz Club" stylee ..jazz, to be honest :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough, thanks for that.

Not very well-versed in takes drag from cigarette in a Fast Show "Jazz Club" stylee ..jazz, to be honest :)

For anyone interested in Lance's dad.

(the rest can scroll down now)

His group was featured for a number of years on "The Goon Show" together with the Dutch jazz harmonica player Max Geldray backed by Wally Stott's (who later became Angela Morley, but that's another story) Orchestra.
    They both shared a spot on the programme from the early fifties through to the sixties. What was heard on the programme was pretty much the only jazz featured on BBC radio at the time.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lance - Yay (when singing without Bruce).
    Bruce - Nay.

I thought it was rather odd Ola just dancing on her own as Goldilocks. Didn't get it.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lance was great, Brucie not so much.
  • Options
    MsVonDarknessMsVonDarkness Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Lance was amazing, Bruce was.. crap.
  • Options
    spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, not such a strange choice then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    it was quite common at one time for nursery rhymes to be used for jazzy type recordings - Anthony Newley and Pop Goes The Weasel springs to mind
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Brucie was absolutely fantastic. He MUST come back next year. Strictly would be an empty shell without him. He didn't miss a beat in a really challenging song and he was flawless. 82 ! and I doubt if one contributor on this forum could have held a candle to him :)

Strangely, I was quite disappointed with the routine Ola did during the song. Ola is one of my all time favourites but she was floundering and prancing around without any purpose. It was as if she had had a routine planned with James, but he got stuck in the traffic so she made something up on the spot ... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was quite common at one time for nursery rhymes to be used for jazzy type recordings - Anthony Newley and Pop Goes The Weasel springs to mind

Wouldn't have called that jazz.

But this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpjImYjR9A
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Lance was amazing, Bruce was.. crap.

brucie really has lost his touch lol.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't have called that jazz.

neither did i I called it "jazzy" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neither did i I called it "jazzy" :rolleyes:

Anthony Newley wouldn't have known "jazzy" if it bit him on the bum. He did musicals.

You tried to be helpful but just gave a poor example. Not the end of the world.

I just provided a well known definitive example of the genre.

No need to "roll your eyes," just because you used a smiley doesn't mean that it's not bad manners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anthony Newley wouldn't have known "jazzy" if it bit him on the bum. He did musicals.

You tried to be helpful but just gave a poor example. Not the end of the world.

I just provided a well known definitive example of the genre.

No need to "roll your eyes," just because you used a smiley doesn't mean that it's not bad manners.

And just cos you don't doesn't mean you're not rude
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Bruce & Lance - Yay or Nay?

Second only to Take That!,,,, so Yay:)
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    PMSL..... Nay!

:D