My Over friendly cat & the neighbours!!

Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
Forum Member
✭✭
My cat is overly friendly with my neighbours, one of my neighbours told me that he comes through her cat flap eats her cats food and sits on her sofa!! While her other cat gets scared and runs off.

I have seen neighbours who I don't know just open their door and let him in and he climbs through their windows.

I'm seriously baffled I don't think this is normal cat behaviour as the weather gets warmer I'm worried hes gonna end up in the wrong persons house and they might hurt him. I don't want to stop him going outside but he worries me.

Does anyone else have a cat like this? Is it normal behaviour?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    All cats do this if allowed. They have about 5 or 6 homes which they scrounge from.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its normal behaviour then?

I'm still worried he could get in someone's house who doesn't like cats though & they could hurt him :(
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    So its normal behaviour then?

I'm still worried he could get in someone's house who doesn't like cats though & they could hurt him :(

I don't like cats but I would never hurt one, it would annoy me a great deal though if one was coming in my house unwanted.

Mind you I have two large dogs, it's not going to happen :D
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    My cat thought he had the right to wander in anyone's house, luckily some of the neighbours really liked him and he was welcome to go and Kip on a bed or sofa. The others also liked him but didn't want him in the house, so shooed him out and he soon got the message.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cat that would visit different houses on different days, depending on what she knew they would be having for dinner. We knew about a couple of them but not all (and all our neighbours where lovely), everyone loved her and she would stay a couple of hours and then come home (normally home by the time we got back from work).

In fact when she passed away the old neighbour couple up the road said their friday lunchtime fish and chips treat wasn't the same anymore as they used to get her a bit of haddock to have all for herself and loved her company. (luckily they got a cat from the shelter a couple months later to have a kitty to spoil)
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, it's not ideal really IMO.

A house may have a dog in it that dislikes unfamiliar cats, not to mention the stress it causes to other cats.

You could offer to pay towards one of those special cat flaps which only allows resident cats in, or keep him inside or in a garden run.

Otherwise instruct your neighbours to chase him away so he learns venturing into houses achieves nothing.

All the best x
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I had a cat who did this - the little boy in the house wanted to adopt her!

She didn't come home one night but arrived the next day unharmed. The child's father said she had been 'trapped' in their house, although the child said he shut her in as he wanted to keep her. She then proceeded to poo in their bath :D - they never trapped her in again.....
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    I had a cat that would visit different houses on different days, depending on what she knew they would be having for dinner. We knew about a couple of them but not all (and all our neighbours where lovely), everyone loved her and she would stay a couple of hours and then come home (normally home by the time we got back from work).

In fact when she passed away the old neighbour couple up the road said their friday lunchtime fish and chips treat wasn't the same anymore as they used to get her a bit of haddock to have all for herself and loved her company. (luckily they got a cat from the shelter a couple months later to have a kitty to spoil)

Aww how lovely about the old couple. A couple of my neighbours were old ladies who said they were too old to have pets of their own, but they loved my cat. He used to get lots of treats. Probably way more than I knew about
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cat who comes over to my house regularly, he was having a little snooze on my bed yesterday afternoon whilst it was chucking it down with rain. I have tried to discourage him but he likes me :confused:

He seems to be out in all weather which annoys me, he has got a home around the corner but I'm not sure if he has a catflap or has to wait for someone to let him in.