Britpop at the BBC: Britpop Anthems

2»

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bluetones - Slight return

The 90's was such a good decade for music.

I've got that Britpop thing recorded but I haven't watched it yet.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Manics tendency to turn the amps down and add some strings was definitely a nod to Britpop, much like the Boo Radleys Wake Up Boo and Suede's Coming Up.

the Manics were one of the least indie sounding bands in the early 90s music papers, more Guns and Roses and Def Leppard than what came to be known as Britpop
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    They passed me by at the time, but Echobelly sounded absolutely joyous, in fact Great Things seems to have aged better than anything else.

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I could never understand the appeal of Pulp at all, in fact I always turned them off whenever they appeared on the TV. Bitter Sweet Symphony was a dirge as well, as was The Drugs Don't Work - surely the most over rated song of all time.

Marion were better than all of them as far as I was concerned.

Definitely agree with your first paragraph (although certainly not the other two ;-)). Echobelly were a top, underated, band when on form and Great Things was one of their best. And, on a shallow note, Sonya is a stunner :D
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I was a huge fan of Space. Theyre actually back together (sort of) and have just released a very good new album.

Female of the Species at #23 isnt bad going either.
  • BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Space. Theyre actually back together (sort of) and have just released a very good new album.

Female of the Species at #23 isnt bad going either.

I used to listen to Spiders loads. Didn't really like the second album though so lost interest in them. I'm quite interested in hearing their new stuff though.
    Forum Member
    BrumBall wrote: »
    I used to listen to Spiders loads. Didn't really like the second album though so lost interest in them. I'm quite interested in hearing their new stuff though.

The new album's called 'Attack of the Mutant 50ft Kebab', well worth checking out.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »

Space's first album was very good.

Female of the Species, Neighbourhood, You & Me vs the World and Dark Clouds were all great singles. Went off them a bit when they did that Ballad of Tom Jones rubbish with Cerys from Catatonia. I liked Avenging Angels which was their first single from the 2nd album but didn't bother getting the album itself.
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still listen to Me and You Versus the World load on my iPhone. There first album was great but I'll agree that their second one wasn't much kop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember around this time was when I switched from buying music on tape cassette to buying music on CD's.

I had the following albums on cassette:

Parklife - Blur
    The Great Escape - Blur
    (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
    Different Class - Pulp

And the following singles:

Something for the Weekend - Super Furry Animals
    Female of the Species - Space
    Alright - Supergrass

It was the time when they had the "Shine" indie compilation albums.
    I had one called "True Brit" which had a load of classic tunes on too.

It seemed like a really great time for guitar bands. Blur and Oasis may have got the headlines but there were loads of other bands regularly touring up and down the country.

Ash, Blur, The Bluetones, Black Grape, Cast, The Charlatans, Dodgy, The Divine Comedy, Echobelly, Elastica, Gene, Mansun, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp, Shed Seven, Sleeper, Space, Suede, Supergrass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the Britpop at the BBC programme on iPlayer last night and there were some quite good performances from the archives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    It was very good, shame they didn't make it a two hour show. There must be loads more in the archives!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was impressed by the way the TOTP versions were filmed. Far better than I remember them at the time and better than the stock footage I've seen before (Suede in particular).

It reminded me of the camera work when the Manics were filmed on Butt Naked, which was the best filmed performance I've ever seen on TV. It's a shame that silly health & safety laws have barred any repeats of it due to one or two flashing light sequences (so I've heard).
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    what was britpop ?

which years did it span? what was its sound?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It spanned from the early to late 90's and was mainly British guitar "indie" bands of the time.

Blur & Oasis got all the headlines around '94-'95 but there was a load of other bands that came through to national attention at the time.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this Britpop talk has led to me making a Britpop playlist, great songs and great memories of being a teenager!

Think my favourite Britpop song is Sale of the Century by Sleeper, I loved them back in the day, still got a 7" that Louise Wener signed for me : )
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    All this Britpop talk has led to me making a Britpop playlist, great songs and great memories of being a teenager!

Think my favourite Britpop song is Sale of the Century by Sleeper, I loved them back in the day, still got a 7" that Louise Wener signed for me : )

My favourite Sleeper song is Inbetweener. :)
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »

Good choice, been listening to that earlier tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the 2nd Sleeper album, "The It Girl" on cassette at the time. I managed to get it on CD last year off eBay along with the first album "Smart" for a total of £3 with free postage.

Unfortunately Sleeper were one of the many bands that lost their audience as soon as the Britpop era came to an end.

I personally liked "Vegas" the best from the 1st album and "What Do I Do Now?" From the 2nd album.

I mentioned earlier that I had the "True Brit" compilation album on tape cassette at the time. Well I found a copy on double CD on eBay which arrived yesterday so I've been listening to that and reminiscing. I also found out that if you search for "True Brit" on YouTube it comes up with a playlist where someone has compiled the videos of all 40 songs which were on the double album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From that list there I would pick Pulp - Disco 2000.

I thought Babies was their best single though.

Still I have a few from that era on my mp3 player -

Suede - Trash
    Sleeper - Statuesque
    Shed Seven - Going For Gold
    Underworld - Born Slippy - who doesn't have it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »

Good one. I thought 'What Do I Do Now?' was good too.

The lovely Louise is writing novels now, I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Good one. I thought 'What Do I Do Now?' was good too.

The lovely Louise is writing novels now, I believe.

Yes, hard to believe she's approaching 50! :o
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common People is a great song but it's not even Pulps best song, it might make my top 10 Pulp songs though. They always get lumped in with Britpop but it was really just because they happened to have their most successful album then. Different Class was their fifth album.

Pulp are actually my favourite band ever though and I think Jarvis is probably the best songwriter and lyricist of his generation.
    Forum Member
    It may be of interest to some that Blur released Parklife (the album) 20 years ago today.

How old does that make you feel?!
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    God. Has there ever been a movement more dreary and lumpen than Brit Pop? It perhaps left behind one great single (Pulp Common People) and one interesting album ( the debut by Suede) but the rest was best appreciated by the thicko Oasis herd. People who actually hated music. At least Luke Haines had the grace to apologise for creating the genre with the Auteurs and then went on to an to forge his own idiosyncratic career which of course sold about ten records.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God. Has there ever been a movement more dreary and lumpen than Brit Pop? It perhaps left behind one great single (Pulp Common People) and one interesting album ( the debut by Suede) but the rest was best appreciated by the thicko Oasis herd. People who actually hated music. At least Luke Haines had the grace to apologise for creating the genre with the Auteurs and then went on to an to forge his own idiosyncratic career which of course sold about ten records.

It wasn't for you? Cool.