Options

Hypocrisy regarding Gavin

attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think is quite funny that people were moaning about it being a dancing competition when Ann was left in, yet are going to vote for Gavin.

That is very hypocritical. While not as bad as Ann, Gavin is still not a very good dancer. Most weeks he has been terrible. He got a high score last week so Ann got voted out.

Don't get me wrong, she deserved to go, but I have heard people say they are going to vote for Gavin, despite him being the worst dancer by a million miles, because he he is cute, tries hard or is funny! Hello????

You can't complain that it's supposed to be a dance show and then choose to vote someone even though you admit they are the worst dancer. I just find it odd and if someone as bad as him makes the final (he would be the weakest finalist ever) because of these votes, it will be ridiculous.

I highly doubt he will reach the finals, I could only see that happening if any of the fab fours fans don't vote. But even him getting this far ahead of much better dancers has shocked me. Especially as a lot of people think he is an arrogant idiot :confused:

Just my view :p

Comments

• Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    He's fit though, and Ann wasn't. That makes all the difference!

I think it would be a farce if he made the final, but that's unlikely at this stage. There are four good dancers left, and three of them should make the final.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think is quite funny that people were moaning about it being a dancing competition when Ann was left in, yet are going to vote for Gavin.

That is very hypocritical. While not as bad as Ann, Gavin is still not a very good dancer. Most weeks he has been terrible. He got a high score last week so Ann got voted out.

Don't get me wrong, she deserved to go, but I have heard people say they are going to vote for Gavin, despite him being the worst dancer by a million miles, because he he is cute, tries hard or is funny! Hello????

You can't complain that it's supposed to be a dance show and then choose to vote someone even though you admit they are the worst dancer. I just find it odd and if someone as bad as him makes the final (he would be the weakest finalist ever) because of these votes, it will be ridiculous.

I highly doubt he will reach the finals, I could only see that happening if any of the fab fours fans don't vote. But even him getting this far ahead of much better dancers has shocked me. Especially as a lot of people think he is an arrogant idiot :confused:

not only your view! totally and utterly agree with you
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    People choose to vote for someone because:-
    • they are a brilliant dancer all through the series
    • they start out poor and get better
    • they don't get much better but obviously try very hard
    • they are hopeless but entertaining
    • they just like the person anyway

It's an entertainment show with a public vote and the voters all have their favourties for their own reasons.

Which is just as it should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He will be first out this weekend.

But in answer to your OP, people are entitled to vote for whomever they so wish to vote for. We don't have to like it, and many didn't like the fact that AW was kept in by the viewers who thought she was "entertaining" :rolleyes: Some people are easily pleased! :p

Gavin will be voted for by people who think he is "fit" :rolleyes:

I would much rather have Gavin still in the competition over AW, but he will also be a gonner this w/e unless one of the other couples seriously mess up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you there attackmusic

Ann was one thing, at least for a time it was funny, but Gavin!

He is rubbish as a dancer, as much personality as a house brick, he has that 'I love me' smirk on his face and his only assett being his chest which doesnt interest me anyway.

If he had made an effort to dance he might have got better but it hasnt been a journey just a slow crawl.

I think his marks last week were manipulated by the judges just to get rid of Ann. I think she might have gone anyway but the judges made sure it would be her and not Gavin. This week they need to make sure Gavin gets the marks he deserves and then he will go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The old dance competition vs entertainment program question.

How about

A competition with a dancing theme.

or

A popularity contest with a dancing theme.

A dance competion would require a panel of qualified judges. Not 1 qualifed judge (who judges in the manner I see appropriate for an entertainment program) and 3 others with a dance background.

Personally I could not give a tinkers cuss what it is or isn't. It's brought huge numbers of people to dance schools to learn to dance and millions talking about dancing. That for me is more important than all the petty debates over what type of competition it is and who is the best or worst dancer.
  • Options
    Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spot on in general, although I think Gav is a tad better than Chris Parker!

Once anyone votes for anyone other than the best dancer on the night, then they cannot justify their choice of "bad dancer" over anyone else's choice of "bad dancer" on logical grounds or come up with a "Get rid of Ann because it's a dance competition" argument.
  • Options
    Three Left FeetThree Left Feet Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think his marks last week were manipulated by the judges just to get rid of Ann.

How? He was last but one on the leaderboard even with his slightly generous marks.

The logical approach for the judges to get rid of Ann would have been for Gav to be marked ahead of Matt (assuming that they believed Matt is more popular in the phone vote than Gav.)

Or are you saying that by overmarking him but keeping him in the position he deserved, the judges manipulated/persuaded the viewers to vote for him in greater numbers than they otherwise would have done?
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    the reason i vote is for gav is 1 because he's fit
    and 2 he has improved so much from the start
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could always justify a vote for Gavin while Ann was still in.

I think now he has done well to get so far, and he did some dancing last week which showed that he has the potential to learn to dance ballroom - which may be encouragement to ordinary mortals thinking of learning to dance.

I hope Gavin learned more on the show about how to make himself into a better version of himself. He has a lot of good traits and a few that needed fixing.

He has been a very interesting contestant, and I did get his sense of humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the reason i vote is for gav is 1 because he's fit
    and 2 he has improved so much from the start

His first dance was decent, and he's had a mixture of okish weeks and poor weeks from the start. His Latin is generally terrible. His Ballroom is okish, but the choreography he is given is either on the easy side or very gimmicky. I'm not sure if that suggests he has improved; I really don't think he has.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    His first dance was decent, and he's had a mixture of okish weeks and poor weeks from the start. His Latin is generally terrible. His Ballroom is okish, but the choreography he is given is either on the easy side or very gimmicky. I'm not sure if that suggests he has improved; I really don't think he has.

i think he has though personal opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think he has though personal opinion

Fair enough! I don't mind Gavin, but it would be nice to have a strong final.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin may not be great at dancing but he was still much much better than Ann, as she only left last week no one has really been that hippocritical in keeping him in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    I think it's funny that people vote, to be honest.
    Whilst I agree that Gav's got a far-too-easy ride simply because he looks good, I wouldn't say he's been "terrible".

He's "Average", basically - to me, about the same level as Felicity and Jimi. Occasionally he looks good, mostly he's just "OK".
    Yeah, I think the Gavpreciation on some thread - I'm looking at you non-Appreciation girls :p - is a bit wearing.

Fundamentally, he's not a very good dancer.

And yes, supporting / voting for him whilst simultaneously being anti-Ann (on the basis of her dancing) is, yes, hypocritical.

In other words, I agree with the OP.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you there attackmusic

Ann was one thing, at least for a time it was funny, but Gavin!

He is rubbish as a dancer, as much personality as a house brick, he has that 'I love me' smirk on his face and his only assett being his chest which doesnt interest me anyway.

If he had made an effort to dance he might have got better but it hasnt been a journey just a slow crawl.

I think his marks last week were manipulated by the judges just to get rid of Ann. I think she might have gone anyway but the judges made sure it would be her and not Gavin. This week they need to make sure Gavin gets the marks he deserves and then he will go.

i find it incredible that you think he hasn't made an effort to dance. Not being particularly good does not equate with not making an effort. I have not voted for him as of yet but he has improved and he has put in a load of effort.

He is the only one left who has had a journey, the rest began good and have stayed good on the whole. As to his sense of humour I would agree some people don't get it. They believe what he says is due to arrogance rather than him taking the p... out of himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrislo wrote: »
    The old dance competition vs entertainment program question.

Actually, it's not.

This is a "how can you attack one person for being a very poor dancer, but then support another person who's a not-very-good dancer?" question.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be first out this weekend.

But in answer to your OP, people are entitled to vote for whomever they so wish to vote for. We don't have to like it, and many didn't like the fact that AW was kept in by the viewers who thought she was "entertaining" :rolleyes: Some people are easily pleased! :p

Gavin will be voted for by people who think he is "fit" :rolleyes:
    I would much rather have Gavin still in the competition over AW, but he will also be a gonner this w/e unless one of the other couples seriously mess up.

I'd say Gavin will be voted for by people who think he's funny. He's my second favourite, although I won't vote for him, and I think people just like him. There's other attractive guys left in the competition, why single Gavin out for the "fit" vote?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidJames wrote: »
    Actually, it's not.

This is a "how can you attack one person for being a very poor dancer, but then support another person who's a not-very-good dancer?" question.

Which I think is a fair question.

Whilst I agree that Gav's got a far-too-easy ride simply because he looks good, I wouldn't say he's been "terrible".

He's "Average", basically - to me, about the same level as Felicity and Jimi. Occasionally he looks good, mostly he's just "OK".

I think Gavin has been bordering on the standard of Peter and Paul at times. His Latin has been terrible, but at least he has actually tried to dance, unlike Ann.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's funny that people vote, to be honest.

Yeah, I think the Gavpreciation on some thread - I'm looking at you non-Appreciation girls :p - is a bit wearing.

Fundamentally, he's not a very good dancer.

And yes, supporting / voting for him whilst simultaneously being anti-Ann (on the basis of her dancing) is, yes, hypocritical.

In other words, I agree with the OP.

DJ :eek: I think you're just jealous because Gavin has such a nice bottom :D

Supporting Gavin is not hypocritical if you don't like Ann. Gavin tries, Ann didn't. Ann is an insufferable smug vile lady, Gavin is lovely. He is also a better dancer than her.

Also whilst I admire him/ love to look at him, I haven't ever actually voted for him but even if I had I wouldn't have been hypocritical because he wasn't the worst dancer in the competition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that people always say to have a real dancing competition you'd need qualified judges? No you don't. That's what you'd need if it was a professional dancing competition, which it isn't. In my mind (and really, people make up their own mind what this show really is) this show is about learning and performing dances and the best should win. I vote to keep good dancers until the end and then at the end, I vote for the best dancer to win. Consistency plays a part throughout the show but in the final it's more about who nails the technique and performance. Yes I have favourites but it's always based on the dancing and anything other than that is secondary to me.

I get other people don't agree but that doesn't mean I'm wrong and they're right across the board. It's all subjective, people decide what it is for themselves and themselves only. So people who march around saying it is not a dancing competition so definitively are wrong I'm afraid. It may not be one to them but it certainly is one to me.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that anyone whose sole argument against Ann was that this is a dance competition and she is the worst dancer remaining, who then voted for Gavin would be a hypocrite.

Most Ann-detractors did not restrict their criticism of her to those terms. To put it mildly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I think Gavin has been bordering on the standard of Peter and Paul at times. His Latin has been terrible, but at least he has actually tried to dance, unlike Ann.
    I have no problem with Gav being where he is.

Yes, as you said, I respect the fact that he tries to dance.

I'd prefer it if the best dancer won, of course, but I wouldn't be too upset if he won (which he won't) - it'd be another Darren Gough situation - although Darren was far better.

That said, yes, it's a little hypocritical to attack Ann for being "entertainment" whilst also supporting Gaving for "entertainment".
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that people always say to have a real dancing competition you'd need qualified judges? No you don't. That's what you'd need if it was a professional dancing competition, which it isn't. In my mind (and really, people make up their own mind what this show really is) this show is about learning and performing dances and the best should win. I vote to keep good dancers until the end and then at the end, I vote for the best dancer to win. Consistency plays a part throughout the show but in the final it's more about who nails the technique and performance. Yes I have favourites but it's always based on the dancing and anything other than that is secondary to me.

I get other people don't agree but that doesn't mean I'm wrong and they're right across the board. It's all subjective, people decide what it is for themselves and themselves only. So people who march around saying it is not a dancing competition so definitively are wrong I'm afraid. It may not be one to them but it certainly is one to me.

Well it's a reality show based on learning to dance. However I don't believe most people look at the dancing only when deciding who to vote for. This may be true for you but if you really do not like someone's personality I don't believe you will vote for them regardless of their dancing ability. Even judges at proper dancing competitions must be affected by whether they like or dislike someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    isopap wrote: »
    Supporting Gavin is not hypocritical if you don't like Ann. Gavin tries, Ann didn't. Ann is an insufferable smug vile lady, Gavin is lovely. He is also a better dancer than her.
    The point is, if you took the position that "it's a dance competition", then you're looking a little inconsistent if you then add "But I'm supporting Gavin because he's got a nice bum".

For example.
    isopap wrote: »
    Also whilst I admire him/ love to look at him, I haven't ever actually voted for him but even if I had I wouldn't have been hypocritical because he wasn't the worst dancer in the competition.
    He's now the worst dancer left in the competition - and he's a loooong way from even Pammie in ability.

So do you still support him?