Options

Mothers are NOT jobless FFS.

Comments

• Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    I've seen you suggest to people that being made redundant is somehow their fault, or that they could have somehow foreseen it and acted before it happened. It just doesn't always work like that in the real world.

Depends on how much of the real world you have control. You make your own destiny. Things happen, but you have to be prepared for them. Last time I brought redundancy up I said that you need to invest in yourself constantly, you have to keep your ear to the ground in both the company politics and the industry you're in.

If you're not progressing yourself in your profession whether it be qualifications or experience, if you think that is partly down to the company to do it, move somewhere else. But ultimately you have to keep moving otherwise you become dead wood, and before you know it, your job is on the line.

One simple rule: always think of your job and your career as if you're about to get sacked. Don't shit yourself, just plan for this eventuality.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Reading some of this stuff is just sad it's like they think if you lose your job at 9am if your not in a new job by 9.30am your a scrounger and waster
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Of course single parent mothers should not have to work all hours to pay for everything for their child, They should not have to though because most children, even those in single parent families, also have a father.

The responsibility to care for them, their nurturing and any financial responsibilities should lie between the two parents who created them and their wider family. Instead in some cases though we've created a situation which effectively absolves some of the fathers of their responsibility and made the state the daddy.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    With all the recent crap in the media about the (jobless) mother with 11 children 'sponging' of the state I feel the need to point out an inherent oxymoron - how can a mother of 11 children be jobless if she has the very important job of bringing up 11 children?
    Being a mother used to be viewed as a vital job in society and it's a sad state of affairs that we now think that children should more or less be left to fend for themselves so that mum can go out and stack shelves at Tescos for minimum wage (if she's lucky).

of course your right,I don't pay any heed to media hype.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    If you're not progressing yourself in your profession whether it be qualifications or experience, if you think that is partly down to the company to do it, move somewhere else. But ultimately you have to keep moving otherwise you become dead wood, and before you know it, your job is on the line.

One simple rule: always think of your job and your career as if you're about to get sacked. Don't shit yourself, just plan for this eventuality.

You do realise that you can also progress yourself into redundancy don't you! The higher you are the more vulnerable you are! But then in your eyes, being ambitious will no doubt also be a shortcoming too if that was to happen eh? Whatever suits your own opinion!

Treating each job like you're going to get sacked...what absolute tripe! If you did that you would never ever take risks for fear of being sacked if it goes wrong and more things go wrong than right!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 children is ridiculous and they would al probably grow up like her.

If i were PM, I would propose a law limiting couples to 3-4 children UNLESS they have the financial means to rear them. Any additional children would be taken away at birth and fostered out. This would give the kids a better shot at life.

You know them then and have clairvoyant abilities? :rolleyes: Just because some children turn out like their parents does not mean everyone is the same. Maybe they will be desperate to be educated and successful and will be the opposite?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    You do realise that you can also progress yourself into redundancy don't you! The higher you are the more vulnerable you are! But then in your eyes, being ambitious will no doubt also be a shortcoming too if that was to happen eh? Whatever suits your own opinion!

Treating each job like you're going to get sacked...what absolute tripe! If you did that you would never ever take risks for fear of being sacked if it goes wrong and more things go wrong than right!

You plan for it, you don't necessarily act it out, that depends on how the job market is. I'll make this simple for you.

If you think you're going to get sacked tomorrow, first thing you (I hope) you'd do is look at the job market for jobs in your field.

1. This will tell you what skills employers are currently looking for
    2. It will tell you if your current salary expectations match theirs
    3. You will know how many jobs there currently are in your field

Go to the interviews, it will open opportunities and keep you on your toes, it can even give you leverage against your current employer

Remember that your career is different from your job. Look at your career as the road and your job as a "rented" house. Don't stay there if you're not getting what you want out of it, and don't expect to stay there too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know them then and have clairvoyant abilities? :rolleyes: Just because some children turn out like their parents does not mean everyone is the same. Maybe they will be desperate to be educated and successful and will be the opposite?

Isn't that why they used the word 'probably'?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the recent crap in the media about the (jobless) mother with 11 children 'sponging' of the state I feel the need to point out an inherent oxymoron - how can a mother of 11 children be jobless if she has the very important job of bringing up 11 children?
    Being a mother used to be viewed as a vital job in society and it's a sad state of affairs that we now think that children should more or less be left to fend for themselves so that mum can go out and stack shelves at Tescos for minimum wage (if she's lucky).

That is rubbish. My wife looks after our two of 5 an under for 5 days a week. I do for one day and maybe the other.

It's tough, bloody hard, by the end of my one day at 5pm I'm wiped out, never mind 5 days of that and housework.

But at the end of my day, I haven't worked, I haven't been paid and I haven't had an employer. We've chosen to do it. How tough it is is irrelevant.

Then you throw in the cliched, derogatory, insulting myth to generalise all supermarket workers who are every bit as valuable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You plan for it, you don't necessarily act it out, that depends on how the job market is. I'll make this simple for you.

If you think you're going to get sacked tomorrow, first thing you (I hope) you'd do is look at the job market in jobs in your field.

Go to the interviews, it will open opportunities and keep you on your toes, it can even give you leverage against your current employer

Remember that your career is different from your job. Look at your career as the road and your job as a house. Don't stay there if you're not getting what you want out of it.

How more patronising can you get!?!

Listen my friend, I've been working all my life and carved out a successful career until recently. I blame noone for my predicament, I am not bitter about my predicament even though you seem to be baiting me to admit that I am by instigating some self righteous arguement that you are trying to direct to prove some misinformed opinion you seem to hold!

I don't need your advice, as a professional person I have experience and am and have also received advice from real professionals rather than bumbling amateurs such as yourself! I have not asked for your advice (which is largely the 'bleedin obvious' and to which you have assumed I have some workshy blame the world attitude) nor did I come on here to harp on about me being unemployed so either return to the subject of the OP or stop making yourself look more pompous than you already are!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaylalou wrote: »
    See this is what grates me, you've done it. Put in the hard word of being a parent and worker, and then people say no parent can afford to or has the time to work with school runs ect.

Also playing devil's advocate here, but how does having children and then paying someone else to look after them from birth equate to 'being a parent'?

ETA: and why is it that a childminder will be doing a job for which he/she is paid, but a mother who looks after her own children is not doing a job, and therefore should not expect to be paid?
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    its a label and its a wrong one. i think all mothers should look after their children without working until the child starts school. and all mothers who are doing that should be labelled as mothers. the problem these days is there are too many women who have children without fathers being around. they are choosing this as a lifestyle, for a house and benefits. so they are labelled jobless. in the case of jobless mother of 11 , im guessing she is possibly in the "lifestyle" choice.

Why can't the father give up work for a few years? Some women have a better paid job that their husband or boyfriend.

Women can be Doctors and Managing Directors don't you know?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    My Granddads brother had 18 children (well his wife did :D) and in those days there were no handouts they had to work to put food in the kids mouths and that is hoe it should be.

Why should a tax payer with no kids pay towards some chav with 11 brats...

Exactly. Some people seem to be saying that people should have as many children as they want and it's the taxpayer's role to house, feed and clothe them.

I know lots of working people with one or two children who would love another child but they don't because they cannot afford to or because their house isn't big enough and cannot afford to move. I've had friends who have had the snip to prevent it happening. Yet those on benefits seem to think that popping out another child is a sure fire way of getting more money and a bigger house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    How more patronising can you get!?!

How rude. I gave constructive advice on the "it doesn't work in the real world" comment which wasn't made by you, you then barged in saying it was a load of tripe having not understood it.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you think you're going to get sacked tomorrow, first thing you (I hope) you'd do is look at the job market for jobs in your field.

Remember that your career is different from your job. Look at your career as the road and your job as a "rented" house. Don't stay there if you're not getting what you want out of it, and don't expect to stay there too long.

You're a twit and the mods will probably agree.

If it wasn't for the average person who doesn't have your brains :rolleyes: they'd be no one emptying your bins or taking your money when you go shopping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »

If it wasn't for the average person who doesn't have your brains :rolleyes: they'd be no one emptying your bins or taking your money when you go shopping.

There are always new people to take those jobs after you have moved on to something better.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »

Another thinly veiled insult to a supposed lesser job, same way people throw in "working in tescos"

I would say less than 1% of people on the thread would be able to do a binman job, to level actual binmen do, even after 3 months of training. They can run over 10k a shift.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    dotty1 wrote: »
    Also playing devil's advocate here, but how does having children and then paying someone else to look after them from birth equate to 'being a parent'?

ETA: and why is it that a childminder will be doing a job for which he/she is paid, but a mother who looks after her own children is not doing a job, and therefore should not expect to be paid?

Well... because it's her own children. A childminder is providing a service by taking care of somebody else's child for whom they have no moral or legal obligation to.

Why somebody should choose to bring a child into the world and expect to be paid to raise him/her is beyond me.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dotty1 wrote: »

Yeah I expect to get paid to cook myself a meal and clean my house too. I mean people get paid to do these for others:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thinly veiled insult to a supposed lesser job, same way people throw in "working in tescos"

I would say less than 1% of people on the thread would be able to do a binman job, to level actual binmen do, even after 3 months of training. They can run over 10k a shift.

Exactly, I suggest to anybody who says different, next time they go into tesco just have look at how hard they work, how they communicate and how efficient and organised they are.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no excuse for having eleven children in this day and age. There is a wonderful little thing called contraception that works wonders when used correctly. Don't get me wrong, I know mistakes happen but eleven times? Please, this woman should have had her tubes tied years ago.

I also really hate it when people put "full time mummy" on their Facebook profiles. You chose to have kids, deal with it, it's not a job it's a lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I expect to get paid to cook myself a meal and clean my house too. I mean people get paid to do these for others:D

Yes, and if you were doing these things for others, as a carer for example, or a cook in an old people's homes, you'd be getting paid for it. Just because mothers don't go out of the house or receive a wage for what they do doesn't mean they don't work or have a job. It just means that the work they do is not valued by society in the same way as paid employment.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The irony is, if you are a cleaner, you clean for a living; if you are a nurse, you look after people for a living, or if you are a chef, you cook for a living. All these are considered to be jobs, but if you cook, clean & look after your children full-time, you are considered to be jobless!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Well... because it's her own children. A childminder is providing a service by taking care of somebody else's child for whom they have no moral or legal obligation to.

Why somebody should choose to bring a child into the world and expect to be paid to raise him/her is beyond me.

I haven't said they should expect to be paid. I am saying that in any other circumstance the work that mothers do (such as laundry, changing nappies, cleaning, feeding, cooking etc) is considered a job, and when these things are done outside the home the people doing them expect and are paid a wage. To say that mothers who are not being paid don't have a job is ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    crapping in my hand and throwing it at my neighbours doesn't make me a monkey. getting money off the government doesn't mean you have a job.

As a society we give her money so her kids don't starve, they couldn't choose their mother but they can choose their future and state benefits should be there as a safety net so everyone has the ability to survive and better the circumstances into which they were born. 11 kids is taking the mick though.

Being a mother isn't a job, I wash my face bum and my danglies in the sink, not always in that order, sometimes i like to mix it up. Does this make me a carer? I told some kids to get off a wall because it was dangerous, the wall itself was sturdy enough but im a good shot with my rifle and being disabled in Africa i tend to shoot first and worry about asking questions once ive emptied a clip or two does this make me a teacher and health and safety officer?

In life you have to do certain things, if you choose to have a child looking after it is down to you, ive got a goldfish looking after its not a job its a life decision. A gold fish isnt like a child, i actually have a bond with Clive that is hard to express and you have no idea how much i fear losing him because we have an emotional bond and that's something mothers will never know. Ive looked after children and its like anything, it only becomes a job or difficult if your bad at it, china maintains 5 million men and women in its armed forces, but you cant handle two toddlers in a 2 bedroom detached in Ipswich? Get a grip, I once ran an orphanage in deepest Romania and it was a whirl, in fact it was one of the easiest things ive ever done it was more like a holiday. no other staff, just me and 600 2-7 year olds, i did meals, the washing, entertaining them everything. I did it by not moaning about having to do something for 90% of the day and actually just doing it. I even managed to work part time and act on the school board.