Tory Cuts Latest...Bring Out Your Dead - Mail Report on This Shocking Development

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2870945/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Tory-cuts-latest-bring-dead.html

Such a sad case of what is going on since the evil Tory cuts were introduced. To think we are one of the richest nations on earth - if you forget, like Ed Milliband, the £90, 000.000, 000 deficit and the
£1, 500, 000, 000, 000 national debt.

So stop the evil cuts now so we don't have 10s of thousands more people suffering like Reg and his family.

Comments

• eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2870945/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Tory-cuts-latest-bring-dead.html

Such a sad case of what is going on since the evil Tory cuts were introduced. To think we are one of the richest nations on earth - if you forget, like Ed Milliband, the £90, 000.000, 000 deficit and the

So stop the evil cuts now so we don't have 10s of thousands more people suffering like Reg and his family.

With the greatest respect, did you even read the article? Or are you just not that good at spotting irony?

The article was suggesting that Labour was grossly exaggerating the burial crisis. Yes, burial is prohibitively expensive, (my local council have just doubled charges for a a new grave plot), but no one needs to be buried in their back yard. Basic coffin, no extra cars, do your own flowers, service at the crematorium instead of a church, and scatter the ashes or keep them in an urn... you can do it for a little over a thousand pounds.
    I know it's possible, as I organised my mother in law's funeral after she died leaving no savings, no life insurance and two children under 16 to provide for. That also included a niche and a memorial tablet in the local crematorium.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Yeah. This was on the radio the other day, and when pressed the interviewee admitted that there were no recorded cases of people being buried in gardens due to hardship, although there have been rare occasions since the mid 19th c for other reasons. Modern times as as result of hardship? None known.

Media circus / fuss over nothing / another weak excuse for people to write 'evil tories'.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Oh ffs...you linked to a Richard Littlejohn article without issuing a warning.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    With the greatest respect, did you even read the article? Or are you just not that good at spotting irony?

The article was suggesting that Labour was grossly exaggerating the burial crisis. Yes, burial is prohibitively expensive, (my local council have just doubled charges for a a new grave plot), but no one needs to be buried in their back yard. Basic coffin, no extra cars, do your own flowers, service at the crematorium instead of a church, and scatter the ashes or keep them in an urn... you can do it for a little over a thousand pounds.
    I know it's possible, as I organised my mother in law's funeral after she died leaving no savings, no life insurance and two children under 16 to provide for. That also included a niche and a memorial tablet in the local crematorium.

Whoopee-do. How's someone who has to choose between fuel & food supposed to come up with that sort of money?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail is pro Conservative from what I've seen.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were someone close to you would ever fuel or food be as important to you whilst your effectively in shock and grieving for your loss.

Even so ...

Paupers’ funerals making comeback as families exploit loophole to save funeral costs
    Families turning to state claiming they cannot afford to pay towards burying loved-ones before splashing out on flowers and memorial trinkets, study finds

In Dickens’s England they were seen as the ultimate indignity reserved only for those suffering extreme destitution.

But, according to a new study, paupers’ burials are making an unlikely comeback as families exploit a legal loophole to save thousands of pounds on funeral costs.

Researchers found evidence that a small but growing number of families are turning to taxpayers to meet all the costs of burying or cremating loved-ones as the “stigma” of being unable or unwilling to contribute disappears.

But it also reported how council officials tasked with arranging what are meant to be pared-down services have voiced anger at seeing families who claimed they could not pay then turning up to the laden with expensive bouquets and other embellishments.

The study by social policy experts at the University of Bath predicts a sharp rise in the reliance of so-called “Public Health Funerals” as death rates rise because of Britain’s ageing population.
    Under the current rules there are two ways in which the state can help meet the cost of funerals.

A Government fund provides compassionate grants known as Funeral Payments to almost 40,000 benefit dependent families a year to assist with the cost of bereavement.

But under a separate provision, originally applied only in extreme cases where people died with no known relatives, local councils have a duty under public health law to dispose of bodies where no one else takes responsibility.
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Whoopee-do. How's someone who has to choose between fuel & food supposed to come up with that sort of money?
    Apply for the grant to cover the cost.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All over the country we are certainly getting back to those good old Victorian values that John Major was so bloody fond off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Sadly dying is one of those things in life which can hit you very hard financially- like having a boiler break down, having your car written off, a fire or a flood. If you can't afford to insure against it, then at some point you are going to be faced with a big bill.

If you really were in a position where you genuinely couldn't afford to pay towards a funeral, then I suppose you'd have no choice but to let the state pay.

The state will pay for a basic burial (or more likely cremation as it's cheaper). My Mum has precided at several rememberance services where the family didn't want to (couldn't afford to!?) take charge of laying a person to rest, so the service was performed in a hospital chapel.

The point I was making is that the price of funerals (I've seen £10,000 quoted in one newspaper) is grossly exaggerated. Like other posters have said, there are no proven instances of people being forced to bury loved ones in their back yard. Most families (including my own) seem to be able to scrape the money together or pay for it out of the estate.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Littlejohn complaining about the Tories trying to reduce government spending? Doesn't the OP keep going on about what a great libertarian Littlejohn is? He doesn't seem that way from this.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Love it, a thread attacking the cuts yet still manages a swipe at Milliband.

You might want to tell the Tories to start worrying about the deficit too since it's increased under them.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The Daily Mail is pro Conservative from what I've seen.

Somewhat to the right of that pinko liberal Cameron.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

I guess it may depend where you live but around here there is no way you could have a basic funeral for anything less then £1500 .
    I buried my Dad back in 2010 and that worked out at around the bare minimum. My Mum's funeral was this year and that price had risen by a few hundred.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this in the news the other day, people can't afford it, so are burying the dead in the back garden.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

y.

We were one of the richest a few decades ago .Reality is household debt and national debt combined , for quite a while has meant we are technically bankrupt .We owe more than we earn .It's like passing round brown bags full of money - we're ok until everyone wants to open them at once.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Once upon a time not to long ago people used to take out insurance policies incase of death so they could bury their loved ones and not have them buried in a paupers grave or just piled in a hole in the ground with a number of other bodies

My mother and father (now in their 90s) had policies taken out on them when they were babies the same was done with their parents and also when I and my two brothers were born

If no deaths had occurred the policies matured when they were 21 (18 in mine and my brothers case) the insurance companies paid you a lump sum, then you became responsible for your own insurance

I and my past family were not rich our family were pit workers but in our area everyone had insurance for burial because it was only pennies a week

My mother, Grandmother and before that her mother were the women the village came to to 'Lay Out' anyone who had died
    they cleaned and dressed the 'sleeping past' laying them on a table or bed ready for the family to visit before the day of the funeral when the undertaker would bring the coffin and then go to the service and onto the cemetary
    My Grand mother, Mother would have been paid a shilling and that payment never changed from the 1800s to the late 1960s when my mother last did it
    I saw my first dead body at the age of 10 when I was shown what to do but by the time it became my turn to carry on the practice of the deceased laying at home had died out

I can remember getting £1,200 from my policy when I reached 18 in 1974 and I put £1,000 into buying a house which was £3,400

I insured my own children who had nice little nest eggs for when they reached 18 but they now dont think they need life insurance as they think they are to young to die so if anything happens to them its left up to their spouses or me to bury them
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Saw this in the news the other day, people can't afford it, so are burying the dead in the back garden.
    Not quite....
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Yeah. This was on the radio the other day, and when pressed the interviewee admitted that there were no recorded cases of people being buried in gardens due to hardship, although there have been rare occasions since the mid 19th c for other reasons. Modern times as as result of hardship? None known.

Media circus / fuss over nothing / another weak excuse for people to write 'evil tories'.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    We were one of the richest a few decades ago .Reality is household debt and national debt combined , for quite a while has meant we are technically bankrupt .We owe more than we earn .It's like passing round brown bags full of money - we're ok until everyone wants to open them at once.

I don't think we're as badly off as you're making out. We might not be the richest country, but we can afford to throw billions and millions here and there when anything needs it.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I have already told my lot that if I die they put me in this

http://coffincompany.co.uk/cardboard-coffin

they also have to have a couple of black markers so people can write their farewells to me on the coffin

I will then be buried in a woodland plot (cost around £800)

if people want to bring flowers they can but I have told family they must not buy flowers to put on a grave but they can plant a tree
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There probably have been a few bodies buried in UK back gardens but more likely because those doing the burying didn't want to go to prison for 20 odd years.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Littlejohn complaining about the Tories trying to reduce government spending? Doesn't the OP keep going on about what a great libertarian Littlejohn is? He doesn't seem that way from this.

How do you mean? You seem confused (again).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I guess it may depend where you live but around here there is no way you could have a basic funeral for anything less then £1500 .
    I buried my Dad back in 2010 and that worked out at around the bare minimum. My Mum's funeral was this year and that price had risen by a few hundred.

I seem to remember that each of her three eldest children and her partner chipped in £300 each, so that's £1200. This was in 2009. That covered the coffin, one car, the hearse and a crematorium service with minister attending. I did the flowers. Perhaps it is cheaper where I live - or perhaps we got a compassionate discount, after the funeral director saw that we were looking after two young children and clearly didn't have much money to burn. (ooo, just realised that's an awful pun.)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I'm good at spotting irony alright.

How about you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I have already told my lot that if I die they put me in this

http://coffincompany.co.uk/cardboard-coffin

they also have to have a couple of black markers so people can write their farewells to me on the coffin

I will then be buried in a woodland plot (cost around £800)

if people want to bring flowers they can but I have told family they must not buy flowers to put on a grave but they can plant a tree

I notice they are all sold out. This has, naturally, peaked the interest of my inner conspiracy theorist.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The state grant is all well and good, but you have to prove to the DWP that you're eligible for the grant before a funeral parlour will accept your 'booking'. The time between claiming and a result can take weeks, because just the simple fact of saying you're on benefits and therefore should be eligible means nothing to a funeral parlour (well, none around my way). When our mum died, the DWP took the claim and contacted all family members to make sure none were earning before deciding that a brother of ours was working and therefore we weren't eligible. Our brother? We hadn't seen him in over 20 years - he'd never been in touch by any means possible, we had no idea where he lived etc etc. My mum did, but her attempts to contact him had been rebuffed. But because he wrote back to them and said he'd tried to contact us, he was included in the claim. So, we had to go for a funeral that was as basic as possible, and all remaining (ie talking) family members scrabbled around for the money (I took out a £300 doorstep loan) and got the cash together. Bad times, to be honest. It made the whole grief thing even worse.