Options

2mg diazepam

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
How strong a dose is 2mg of diazepam.
I have been prescribed by a neurologist to allow me to have a MRI scan.
I suffer from BPPV ertigo which is set off by laying flat amongst other things.
How strong is 2mg? What effect is it likely to have i have never taken this drug before. I cant see it working tbh. The next step is to have a general anesthetic if the sedative doesnt work.
Any experience?

Comments

• Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2mg, according to my doctor, is the dose they prescribe to people with anxieties, such as flying anxieties and whatnot - but it's not a very high dose, in fact, it's quite a low one. I am pretty sure they (doctors) can and do prescribe up to 10mg. The drug generally makes you feel sleepy, pretty out of it, and gives the affect of not having a care in the world. My partner has taken 7mg before and that near enough knocked him out, he could barely stand. He (sometimes) takes 2-4mg to help him sleep - all prescribed, of course.

Here is some information about the drug: http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/diazepam-a-benzodiazepine

I hope it works for you, and I hope you don't have to go under general anaesthetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
    I dont think its going to be strong enough. Im pretty annoyed they dont see to listen. I think its going to be a wasted mri scan appointment. Its not that im nervous or claustrophobic its if I lie flat the vertigo symptoms start. So being spaced out stuck in the machine with intense vertigo symptoms is not going to be good.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed this dose of Diazepam for muscle spasms in my back. I only took a couple, and kept the rest in case I needed them.

Well, the other night, I had a panic attack (I won't go into details), and I can tell you that I calmed down pretty quickly after taking one of my Diazepam tablets. They are very effective, and work quite quickly too. You could take two of those tablets - it won't harm you, as long as you don't try to drive afterwards.

In short, Diazepam is extremely effective at calming you down, but only if used on rare occasions. If you take it every day, you will get used to it and you will need more and more to get the same effect.

I've got 10 tablets left, and it gives me a sense of security, knowing that I have them there if needed in an emergency.

Good luck with your MRI scan! Take your tablets, and you'll be able to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you I dont need calming down though.
    I cant physically lay flat without setting off the symptoms.

I need to be zombified or out cold.

Taking the edge of it but still having the spinning and nausea and sweating hot flush style thing going on isnt going to work. Its a full brain and body scan too so im gonna be in a while.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diazepam are very hard to get on prescription, unless my Doc was just being an ass and wouldn't prescribe them. I had severe back ache after injuring myself a few weeks back, I'd muscle spasm and the like, couldn't even sleep, and my Doc would only go as far as 50mg Tramadol after initially giving me Paracetamol - doh!

That said, Tramadol aren't a bad painkiller to be honest, nowhere near Diazepam or Morphine but not bad non the less.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    When you get the appointment through, it might be an idea to ring the imaging department, explain your problem to them and discuss the fact that you're concerned it will be a wasted appointment if you can't lie flat without having major distressing symptoms. I'm sure they'll have had other people with similar difficulties and will be able to advise you if there's anything else that can be done to help you.

Good luck with the scan...
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At my local hospital it's standard practice to put the patient in an eye mask plus earphones and music of the patient's choice. Would that help you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    When you get the appointment through, it might be an idea to ring the imaging department, explain your problem to them and discuss the fact that you're concerned it will be a wasted appointment if you can't lie flat without having major distressing symptoms. I'm sure they'll have had other people with similar difficulties and will be able to advise you if there's anything else that can be done to help you.

Good luck with the scan...

Ive explained this to them. I have to try have the scan with the sedative. Then they will consider GA. Ive basically got to waste the appointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At my local hospital it's standard practice to put the patient in an eye mask plus earphones and music of the patient's choice. Would that help you?

No. It doesnt help i have a type of vertigo.
    I cant lay flat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sporadic doses of diazepam due to anxiety disorders about 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes a week of 15 - 20mg per day stops the Panic etc.
    2mg has no effect on me at all. I had a cataract op last November and have a huge phobia with eyes so was advised to ask for them for the op.
    Unfortunately it wasn't my own doctor and a few 2mg tabs were prescribed. I sat in the eye clinic all day as they wouldn't do the op as my blood pressure was too high.
    A few weeks later the op was done successfully after my own doctor prescribed 20mg on the morning of the cataract surgery.
    I always think we know our own bodies better than anyone and if you know it's not going to work, go back, tell the doctor in words of one syllable why you need a higher dose (you're not going to die or get addicted on such a relatively OK dose) and then no money will be wasted as you will be able to go through with the scan without getting ill.
    I hate it when doctors try to play God. It's not overprescribing in this case, it's doing what's needed to get you through.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extra stressful situations for me I get prescribed 25mg of Diazepam to take beforehand. It takes the edge off, but I can still walk and talk and function reasonably well on that dose unless I top it up with a couple of Scotches. I reckon it would take at least twice that amount to knock me out completely. Mind you, I do have a really high tolerance for any painkillers, anaesthetics, tranquilisers, etc.

Everyone's different, it's all really trial and error until you and your doctor find the dose that suits you personally. You may be one of the people who gets a good result from a fairly low dose. I hope you get through the scan OK.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2mg is the lowest dose and is usually ineffective on anybody that weighs more than about 10 stone.

I don't feel 2mg at all, even when I haven't taken a Diazepam tab for months. My starting dose was 3 x 2mg (6mg).
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    2mg is the lowest dose and is usually ineffective on anybody that weighs more than about 10 stone.

I don't feel 2mg at all, even when I haven't taken a Diazepam tab for months. My starting dose was 3 x 2mg (6mg).

Agree with this.

I'm a little over 9 stone and it takes 5mg for me to feel any effect and am only an occasional user so no real tolerance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone. Im really disappointed that they havent listened to me. Ah well another wasted MRI appointment.
    Its taken since 2011 to even get as far as a sedative.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the first time i was scripted diazapam was 2mg, it made me feel very woozy and did calm me down. i`d imagine that even that dose would increase your dizziness from the vertigo quite considerably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks annette. This is what im thinking. How is a 2mg dose gonna stop the vertigo. Im just gonna be spaced out and dizzy.
    Now im worrying im gonna be woozy and not be able to get them to listen when it sets off the dizziness.
    Its the worst feeling in the world.

I presume a 2mg dose im my system would stop a panic attack if i got in a state
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks annette. This is what im thinking. How is a 2mg dose gonna stop the vertigo. Im just gonna be spaced out and dizzy.
    Now im worrying im gonna be woozy and not be able to get them to listen when it sets off the dizziness.

maybe ask if there`s something else you could have, i have an antipsychotic [for example] that calms me with none of the woozy/pissed or spaced out feeling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theyve said they will see how i go. Tbh i think its gonna take a GA. Fingers crossed though
  • Options
    garroshgarrosh Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    2mg of diazepam is a rather small dosage, as others have said you will find yourself more relaxed and calm. if you have never taken a benzodiazepine before your tolerance level to the will be low as the more you take the greater your tolerance will increase.

But remember these medications are highly addictive so go easy on them saying that in my experience of munching boxes of 10mg the withdraw is nasty and not something you want to go through.

good luck with the mri scan :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

it looks as though vertigo is treated with low doses of diazapam, maybe you should try and discuss it with your doc a bit further.

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/medical-treatment-of-vertigo/#whatis
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garrosh wrote: »
    2mg of diazepam is a rather small dosage, as others have said you will find yourself more relaxed and calm. if you have never taken a benzodiazepine before your tolerance level to the will be low as the more you take the greater your tolerance will increase.

But remember these medications are highly addictive so go easy on them saying that in my experience of munching boxes of 10mg the withdraw is nasty and not something you want to go through.

good luck with the mri scan :)

Very addictive. I used to take a bit recreationally myself and it's amazing how quickly you're tolerance rises. One lad I know takes upwards of 40 10mg tabs just to get him through the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it looks as though vertigo is treated with low doses of diazapam, maybe you should try and discuss it with your doc a bit further.

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/medical-treatment-of-vertigo/#whatis

Thank you v much for this.

Ive always been told it couldnt be treated.

Off for a read now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very addictive. I used to take a bit recreationally myself and it's amazing how quickly you're tolerance rises. One lad I know takes upwards of 40 10mg tabs just to get him through the day.

Wow. Thats a lot.
    V addictive then
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe ask if there`s something else you could have, i have an antipsychotic [for example] that calms me with none of the woozy/pissed or spaced out feeling.

I'd agree with this. Even 25-50mg (lose dose) of Quetiapine will knock you square out if you aren't used to it.
    Thank you v much for this.

Ive always been told it couldnt be treated.

Off for a read now.

:confused:

Blimey.

Well, vertigo can have a number of causes which should be investigated before treatment could be ruled out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo#Pathophysiology
    Wow. Thats a lot.
    V addictive then

Diazepam is broadly about as addictive as tobacco, some opiates and cocaine.

It should be taken in a very medically controlled way.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How does he get that amount??