Good FM radio transmitters and signals which cover the TSA too well

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
Forum Member
✭✭
Given the talk on the thread of oppisite discussion i thought i'd start a thread about the stations that get out too well like Heart 106.2 which i can quite happily listen to in the car around Oxfordshire and Also BBC Radio Cymru on 96.8 which seems to cover the entire south west and south Wales

Comments

• BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Leicester on 104.9 has good coverage

Radio Cymru 104.3 is another massive signal.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Jackie 107.8 which I've heard in South London, Welling, NW London and South Herts.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signal 1 (102.6FM) is strong and unbroken in Liverpool, until you get close to the city centre.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss 105 106.4 has a massive signal and covers the TSA well.
    Aslo France INFO 105.2 covers much of SE england if 105.2 is free.
    Invicta 102.8 and 103.1 go quite far as well
    Aslo BBC Essex 103.5 and BBC Radio Kent 96.7 + 104.2 and Southend Radio 105.1 which does OK for a very small station.
  • SuffolkRadioSuffolkRadio Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Martin, Jackie has an amazing signal, which is good, as its so much better than Heart music wise. I listen to it in Central London without any probs and I know of people listening to it in north west london absolutely fine in the car
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiss 105 106.4 has a massive signal and covers the TSA well.

It covers it too well when i can get it RDS here all the time on my FM Loop :eek:

but i do also get BBC Essex 103.5 and Chiltern 97.6 and 96.9 very well so it must be my path over there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It covers it too well when i can get it RDS here all the time on my FM Loop :eek:

but i do also get BBC Essex 103.5 and Chiltern 97.6 and 96.9 very well so it must be my path over there

Do you get Kiss 100 and 101 to?
    Would be funny if you could pick all them up in one place.
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    4-Tel wrote: »
    Signal 1 (102.6FM) is strong and unbroken in Liverpool, until you get close to the city centre.

it's even good enough (at anorak level) to listen here though tricky because Fox FM (Oxfordshire) can get in the way.

ALso BBC Shropshire 96.0
    Beacon 103.1
    Heart 106
    BBC Leicester 104.9
  • BluenileBluenile Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viking on 96.9 gets all over the place. It used to be even more so when the band was clearer and it was on 102.7

Also TFM on 96.6 has a massive signal to the south of Stockton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you get Kiss 100 and 101 to?
    Would be funny if you could pick all them up in one place.

you know what. I actually do :D and its all still from the FM loop .

Its good to live in the middle for some things :cool:
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Martin, Jackie has an amazing signal, which is good, as its so much better than Heart music wise. I listen to it in Central London without any probs and I know of people listening to it in north west london absolutely fine in the car

If the pirates 200khz away from Jackie are on, I lose the station inside Central London, but I'm sure if you have a decent car stereo, you can still get away with it.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock FM, covering the whole of Preston and Blackpool with ease, along with Liverpool, Manchester, Cheshire and north Staffordshire! (Although it could do with an East Lancs relay!)

Leicester Sound is another one - 105.4 switches from Century North West to Leicester Sound to Magic 105.4 as you head from the North West to London!
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can pick up Radio Jackie very often at the weekend in Basingstoke when local station Kestrel often goes off air.
    Sadly most of the time Kestrel wipes it out on 107.6 but just lately Kestrel's transmitter has been going off air on Saturday and Sunday mornings for quite a few hours so i have been able to listen to Jackie in the car.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Furthest I have heard is ABC's Los Angeles oldies station KRTH...on air ident KAY EARTH 101, which I have heard as far south as the northern suburbs of San Diego and as far north as Santa Barbara...almost 200 miles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can pick up Radio Jackie very often at the weekend in Basingstoke when local station Kestrel often goes off air.
    Sadly most of the time Kestrel wipes it out on 107.6 but just lately Kestrel's transmitter has been going off air on Saturday and Sunday mornings for quite a few hours so i have been able to listen to Jackie in the car.:)

O wow didn't know Kestrel goes off air , very rare for a station these days , i'll have to remember that the next time im DX scanning :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back when it was Beat 106 i went to a camp thing when i was 13/14 which was north of perth and i could get it on my tape walkman radio if i sat on a bank in one place

What a anorak kid i was :D
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallam FM 103.4 and The Pulse 102.5 get out for miles out of their area. Radio Sheffield 104.1 too.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Isle of Wight Radio on 107.0 does very well indeed for just 100 watts!

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire
  • cromerladcromerlad Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lincs FM 102.2 gets around a bit, easily picked up in Nottinghamshire (doesn't get across to the west of the M1 though!) I've picked it up well into Norfolk and even in York...
  • cromerladcromerlad Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Leicester Sound is another one - 105.4 switches from Century North West to Leicester Sound to Magic 105.4 as you head from the North West to London!

I travel between Notts & Lancs a fair bit & I'm a Century fan...It's like battle of the station between Buxton/Dove Holes/Chapel-en-le-frith 105.4 jumps from a clear Leics signal one minute, then to a clear Century signal. Proper does your head in:D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote: »
    Viking on 96.9 gets all over the place. It used to be even more so when the band was clearer and it was on 102.7

Also TFM on 96.6 has a massive signal to the south of Stockton

I used to have an average radio aerial on the side of my parents' house and used to listen to TFM perfectly near Sherwood Forest in Notts! Also could get Aire, The Pulse and Minster too.

Viking also comes in extremely well round there with just a fully extended telescopic aerial :)

I'd say Lincs FM & Leicester Sound get out pretty well beyond their official limits as have already been mentioned.
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    Isle of Wight Radio on 107.0 does very well indeed for just 100 watts!

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire

That comes in here in Somerset. Head up onto the Mendips and you can get it with RDS around the A361 in the Doulting area, parts of which really are quite high up.

In fact, you can get pretty much anything from Chillerton Down and Rowridge up there.

Heading North from Wells on the old Bristol Road (not the A39) and 105.2FM is dominated by Wave 105 until you're right in the northernmost fringes of Somerset proper before you cross the border into BAINES (Bath & North East Somerset - Unitary Authority) on the North face of the Mendips as you descend into the Chew Valley heading towards Dundry Hill out the other side and Bristol beyond that. At which point Kerrang 105.2 takes over, and most of the West Midlands regionals blast in with RDS. You should fare even better with these at the top of Dundry Hill just before descending into Withywood, Bristol on the Bishopsworth road.

I've picked up what is now Kiss 101 in Pemrokeshire in the past.

The high-power national network FM transmitters at Wrotham make it over to parts of Northern France with very decent reception.

Invicta FM and Radio Kent are as strong as the locals in Boulogne-sur-Mer.

BBC Somerset (formerly BBC Radio Bristol) on 95.5FM is receivable with RDS throughout Western Berkshire.

BBC Radio Devon enjoys considerable overspill in neighboring counties. We have family near Brockweir (Lydney area) in Gloucestershire. They're in a valley with a clear view to the South West towards Chepstow. Obviously anyhting from Wenvoe and St Hilary are clearly audible there, but also you can get pretty much everything from North Hessary Tor there (!!) including Radio Devon with RDS. I'm trying to think what the distance must be; I'd wager well in excess of 80 miles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike blair wrote: »
    Furthest I have heard is ABC's Los Angeles oldies station KRTH...on air ident KAY EARTH 101, which I have heard as far south as the northern suburbs of San Diego and as far north as Santa Barbara...almost 200 miles.

Radio 1 98.8 from Wrotham kent goes for ever at least 200 miles.
    Have picked it up in Norfolk to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cromerlad wrote: »
    Lincs FM 102.2 gets around a bit
    Yes, it knocks Galaxy about in certain parts of north Staffordshire, believe it or not.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I lived in South Wales, I could get Heart 100.7 & Wave 105 reasonably clearly.

As mentioned before, Signal 1 (102.6) & Rock FM go for miles, as does Radio Sheffield 104.1. I was getting Century NE & TFM in Leeds as well.