Quantum Leap...

I have been watching the old series of Quantum Leap, such a great show [IMO] however, anyone think it would be great if they did a remake of it? ;)

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a remake :)

The first two series are ace... downhill from there I'm afraid :(
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh boy, I used to love Quantum Leap. I'd be all over a remake.
  • Kane_SmithKane_Smith Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Despite we all actually hate the BBC and their policies... they don't half make cracking programs. So if we can do a petition to the Beeb, and have a remake of Quantum Leap... Come on, the worse they can say is no right? :)
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show,watched it throught recently,a bit cheesy at times but a very underrated show i think,my only quip..a small 1..:D

you watch the first episode & your wondering what is going on,they should have had the 1st 20 minutes seeing him go into the chamber & leaping..

besides that it's a great show.

as for a remake,i'm not sure,i'd let it stay where it is,scott bakula changed his role every week,dancer,woman,singer & so many others,such a versatile actor..who could do that now ?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    They did plan a spin off where Sam got lost in time and his Daughter (from The Trilogy) became a leaper to find him
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    Love this show,watched it throught recently,a bit cheesy at times but a very underrated show i think,my only quip..a small 1..:D

you watch the first episode & your wondering what is going on,they should have had the 1st 20 minutes seeing him go into the chamber & leaping..

besides that it's a great show.

as for a remake,i'm not sure,i'd let it stay where it is,scott bakula changed his role every week,dancer,woman,singer & so many others,such a versatile actor..who could do that now ?

David Tennant? :D
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane_Smith wrote: »
    David Tennant? :D

not a bad shout,if it were to be remade you would need an actor with a big range & is comfortable doing any role,scott bakula seemed to enjoy himslef,a different role each week for him,must have been fun:D
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    not a bad shout,if it were to be remade you would need an actor with a big range & is comfortable doing any role,scott bakula seemed to enjoy himslef,a different role each week for him,must have been fun:D

Why thank you :D
  • Debs79hDebs79h Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Excellent idea, I loved this show and David tennant would be great I think. Wonder who would be good as Al?
    Forum Member
    Debs79h wrote: »
    Excellent idea, I loved this show and David tennant would be great I think. Wonder who would be good as Al?

John Barrowman... come on... they both work good as a team in Doctor Who, surely NuQuantum Leap they'd be a perfect one for this one ;)
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about a remake. QL was a huge part of my early to mid teens and has been in my life ever since. How could there ever be a different Sam and Al?!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised they haven't remade Quantum leap to be honest. I like David and John, but wouldn't want them in Quantum at all. John would camp it up to much and he did too much of that in Doctor who/Torchwood. I like a bit of camp but it wouldn't work in a show like Quantum Leap, which today still stands as a sci-fi classic.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did plan a spin off where Sam got lost in time and his Daughter (from The Trilogy) became a leaper to find him

Sammy Jo Fuller. Unlike the usual "we must have a woman" reboot gender swaps, that would actually make sense from the original plot lines.

Though she's not aware that he's her father she was working on the project trying to find a way to bring him back
  • mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I've said this before on the DS cult sci-fi & fantasy forum but if they were to remake Quantum Leap Zachary Levi would seem ideal casting as Sam with either Joshua Gomez or Adam Baldwin as Al...
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could imagine Zachary Quinto in the role personally. He is becoming a bit of sci-fi icon anyway with his roles in Star trek, Heroes and american horror story.
    Forum Member
    mccaffep wrote: »
    I've said this before on the DS cult sci-fi & fantasy forum but if they were to remake Quantum Leap Zachary Levi would seem ideal casting as Sam with either Joshua Gomez or Adam Baldwin as Al...

I hope to god you never have any input into an actual remake! :p
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    I'd love a remake :)

The first two series are ace... downhill from there I'm afraid :(

Erm...no. That's bollocks right there. Seasons three and four have some of the show best and most ambitious episodes. Season five is universally regarded as the shark jumper
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they ever did a remake with Sam's daughter as the Leaper I'd put money on Mark Shepperd appearing at some point as an evil Leaper
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Erm...no. That's bollocks right there. Seasons three and four have some of the show best and most ambitious episodes. Season five is universally regarded as the shark jumper

Really? Season 5 is easily as ambitious and creative as any other and probably the most consistently high quality series of them all. While I wouldn't say that any episode of QL is bad, seasons 3 and 4 had more than their fair share of filler episodes.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised they haven't remade Quantum leap to be honest. I like David and John, but wouldn't want them in Quantum at all. John would camp it up to much and he did too much of that in Doctor who/Torchwood. I like a bit of camp but it wouldn't work in a show like Quantum Leap, which today still stands as a sci-fi classic.

I didn't think he was camp in Arrow. He was a surprisingly good villain
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why remake it why not let it stand as it is, just like Star trek the original...........
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kane_Smith wrote: »
    Despite we all actually hate the BBC and their policies... they don't half make cracking programs. So if we can do a petition to the Beeb, and have a remake of Quantum Leap... Come on, the worse they can say is no right? :)

The only thing they could say is no, seeing that the BBC had nothing to do with the creation of Quantum Leap and don't own the rights! :p
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaah! Quantum Leap! What a trip down memory lane :) My sister and I used to love that programme. The only thing that bothered me was that it always got neatly tied up at the end of each episode and I would have preferred it to run across two or three sometimes.

I'd love a remake!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me, or is there a slight religious sub text to quantum leap?
    Forum Member
    Aaah! Quantum Leap! What a trip down memory lane :) My sister and I used to love that programme. The only thing that bothered me was that it always got neatly tied up at the end of each episode and I would have preferred it to run across two or three sometimes.

I'd love a remake!

Occasionally it did. Off the top of my head there was

The Leap Home Part 1 & 2 in which Sam tried to prevent his brother Tom first from going to Vietnam, then from dying there
    Trilogy, in which Sam leapt into the same town three times in a row trying to intervene in the tragic life of Abigail Fuller
    Return of the Evil Leaper and Revenge of the Evil Leaper, a double episode which continued and resolved the Evil Leaper story arc which began earlier in the series with Deliver Us From Evil (which itself was a continuation of the Jimmy LaMotta story).

I don't think the series would have benefitted from multiple episode story arcs all the time, they worked well because they added an air of grandeur when they did come around, but mostly the wrap it up in one episode format worked well. Besides which, even though most individual stories were wrapped up in a single episode, the stories of Sam and Al were played out over five whole series (gradually finding out how they met, what drives them, who they have lost, and so on). The character development of QL is one of the things that made it great but it's an overlooked element of the show, often overshadowed by the sic-fi and drama.