£100 for a David Tennant autograph

2»

Comments

• Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Presumably what the promoter thinks they can charge, they can charge. Seen photos of MJF in the UK on Facebook this week and he looks fine though.

The interesting one for me is Robert Englund is also charging 100+, if only because I was at a screening of Elm Street 1 he was at 15 years ago and he gave dozens of autographs out for free then. Changed days!

Robert Englunds autograph price was £20.

The £100+ price was a package price which included photo with him in Freddy makeup, talk, autograph etc. Much the same as the £445 and £395 prices for MJF and Sigourney Weaver were packages.

The individual autograph or photo price for Sigourney Weaver was £95, still too rich for me. The difference with MJF was that there was no individual autograph price, of you wanted his auto you had to pay £445.

Sounds crazy but plenty did.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conventions these days are mostly appallingly organised vile money making exercises run by modern day Dick Turpins, attended by gullible starry eyed hslfwits with more money than sense and exploited by fading non-entities or genuine stars who want a new conservatory.
    The scenes from LFCC were horrifying. Who wants to queue for hours on a hot Saturday morning with a bunch of shit cosplayers only to be herded into a soul destroying convention centre with no air-con to throw £50 down to have a poor quality photo taken with Ianto Jones? No thanks. Rubbish. They used to be about fostering a genuine sense of community and sharing of talent. Now it's all about showing off and embarrassing 'on your knees' worship at the altar of celebrity. All in the kind of place that usually hosts Photocopying conferences.

ME!

Although, it was a one-off... and it wasn't LFCC... and it was a cold football stadium... and it was Dana Scully... and not £50.

So...... there! >:( :D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    ME!

Although, it was a one-off... and it wasn't LFCC... and it was a cold football stadium... and it was Dana Scully... and not £50.

So...... there! >:( :D
    Haha! Scully is worth it though!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Without wishing to be too tasteless here, is there some twisted novelty value in a modern Michael J. Fox autograph?

One would assume the fact that 2015 is both the 30th anniversary of the film's release and the year Marty travels to in the future (Back to the Future, Part 2), that there is quite an interest* in anything Back to the Future this year, and has nothing to do with any twisted novelty value.

Back to the Future is still regularly in top lists of films, is referenced heavily in pop culture, and seems to hold its place in the publics' heart quite well without needing any help from what you seem to be suggesting.

*within certain circles
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    One would assume the fact that 2015 is both the 30th anniversary of the film's release and the year Marty travels to in the future (Back to the Future, Part 2), that there is quite an interest* in anything Back to the Future this year, and has nothing to do with any twisted novelty value.

Back to the Future is still regularly in top lists of films, is referenced heavily in pop culture, and seems to hold its place in the publics' heart quite well without needing any help from what you seem to be suggesting.

*within certain circles
    I was thinking more of the fact that there's a very obvious reason why a 2015 Michael J. Fox autograph might look a bit... wonky in comparison to an early autograph.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I was thinking more of the fact that there's a very obvious reason why a 2015 Michael J. Fox autograph might look a bit... wonky in comparison to an early autograph.

True, but if someone is hunting autographs, it is normally to get it from the person and the memory of that - not what the autograph itself looks, surely?

I personally have never been enamoured with autograph hunting, so wouldn't have a real inkling into it, but I wouldn't think anybody would mind - as they'd have received it from the man himself.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the very idea of autograph paying to be ludicrous.

Getting a autograph if you bump into someone you like or go and see them at a show or conference is a nice thing, a little token souvenir from the encounter if you like, but to spend money to have another person (no matter who they are) pick up a pen and write their name and maybe a little message is odd to me.

It just isn't worth it, its a cool thing if the signature is free and just a nice little thing to have and point out to people and go hey look at this and then talk about the encounter, but is it really worth paying for, spending money we have to work for just to have a signature on something, what's the big deal I personally don't see it, though each to their own others clearly do if their prepared to pay. I just think well its only ink at the end of the day.

It says something about how we put other people on pedestals and glorify them, which is something that doesn't sit right with me as I have the, I guess you could say, un-romantic party pooper view of their just human, like everyone else and with flaws and bad sides like us all, I may love what they do and their talents and they are a source of entertainment and even comfort as we plod through life but I don't ever hold a sun shines out of their backside view (almost holy view in some cases, a sector of MJ fans being an example) of people I get enjoyment from watching/listening too.

If I was to run into anyone famous I would express that I like what they do and if they are happy to talk further then I would, and that's a nice thing to have happen, but to pay a lot of money to have them pick up a pen and write their name, nah not for me thanks.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Autographs... why would you want one never mind pay?
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/former-doctor-who-star-david-5255756

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone pays for an autograph. I wouldn't even queue for one, let alone pay. I find the very concept of an autograph demeaning for both the giver and the recipient. And to ask for / pay money like that... Vulgar and depressing.

Come on fellas, you have successful careers, why not show a bit more class?

Thats complete crap I wrote to David in March and two months later he signed both of them for me.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never paid for an autograph myself at any these fan conventions.

Who remembers back in 1999, the uproar of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace actors charging for autographs and making front page news with the tabloids >> http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=15399.
    Sadly since 2000 it now seems the norm for such event organisers and their greed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats complete crap I wrote to David in March and two months later he signed both of them for me.

It's not complete crap, but maybe a little misleading.

Most actors will still sign through the mail or outside theatres etc for free. It is only at signing shows like the Comic Con's or certain conventions etc where they charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never paid for an autograph myself at any these fan conventions.

Who remembers back in 1999, the uproar of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace actors charging for autographs and making front page news with the tabloids >> http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=15399.
    Sadly since 2000 it now seems the norm for such event organisers and their greed.

I do and ironically I met Ray Park last week and got his autograph.

His price has gone up!

Still nowhere near £100 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    It's not complete crap, but maybe a little misleading.

Most actors will still sign through the mail or outside theatres etc for free. It is only at signing shows like the Comic Con's or certain conventions etc where they charge.

Thats to do with the conventions not the actors.
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo when fans buy those expensive con autograph packages they're really buying a few seconds of the actor's time face to face. Most fans know they could easily get an autograph for free or rather for the price of a stamp. It's the personal experience and to meet them they want, not the piece of paper.
  • Options
    Cornish AndyCornish Andy Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I had advanced notice that Doctor Who would be filming near my office recently. Took along my series 8 Blu Ray which Peter Capaldi happily signed as well as having a photo together. Lovely guy, and a much more genuine experience than queuing for hours and paying for the privilege. But I'm a big fan and it was a lucky break. I can understand people paying for the opportunity if the price is reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tszujme wrote: »
    Imo when fans buy those expensive con autograph packages they're really buying a few seconds of the actor's time face to face. Most fans know they could easily get an autograph for free or rather for the price of a stamp. It's the personal experience and to meet them they want, not the piece of paper.

EXCEPT TOM BAKER!

That guy wont do them for free anymore through the post as its said so on his agents page.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Tom has Several agents representing him.

Plus he drops each agent every few months for bizarre reasons

If you have his home address he will sign your items for free

Or just write to the BBC. They will forward it on to one of his agents hopefully the ones that will just pass the mail on to him
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Conventions these days are mostly appallingly organised vile money making exercises run by modern day Dick Turpins, attended by gullible starry eyed hslfwits with more money than sense and exploited by fading non-entities or genuine stars who want a new conservatory.
    The scenes from LFCC were horrifying. Who wants to queue for hours on a hot Saturday morning with a bunch of shit cosplayers only to be herded into a soul destroying convention centre with no air-con to throw £50 down to have a poor quality photo taken with Ianto Jones? No thanks. Rubbish. They used to be about fostering a genuine sense of community and sharing of talent. Now it's all about showing off and embarrassing 'on your knees' worship at the altar of celebrity. All in the kind of place that usually hosts Photocopying conferences.

Who the F**K are you to go around judging people and calling them "starry eyed halfwits" you absolutely arrogant bastard?
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Shortcrust and The_don1 are both right.

It IS a ludicrous amount to pay, speaking as someone who goes to events to get things signed primarily, but it is also a business and if enough people are willing to pay that amount then they are in their rights to assume that's a reasonable amount to charge.

Doesn't make it palatable at all but that's economics. Perhaps after the event if they look at it and find expected footfall and purchasing is noticeably down then both parties might amend pricing structures in future.

500 people at £25 will bring in more than 100 people at £100. And that's not considering some of those 500 people are more likely to go for more than 1 auto/ photo than any of the 100 at £100.

Time and effort has to be a factor though. Would you want to sign 500 autographs after all when you might be able to make almost as much signing a 5th of those
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be boring as hell as well. If your career is gone then it's a good way to keep yourself afloat, we all remember our favourite TV and Movie characters, they did brighten up our lives at one point or another.

No shame in earning a living.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member

There's a huge amount on the net about the guy who runs Showmasters which runs LFCC, and none of it's good. Makes Dick Turpin look like Ghandi.

Showmasters has a long and varied record of lying, false advertising and financial thievery.