What Makes A Great Episode?

2»

Comments

• EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In addition to everything that has already been said, I like an element of surprise. I admit I do read spoilers and enjoy watching them play out, but for me a great episode is where you get a nice unleaked twist.

Some of the best episodes I have seen in recent years was EE over new year last year with the car crash. So many different strands going on related to the central crash and because the fate of the main players hadn't been fully revealed in minute detail, it was edge of your seat stuff. Apart from EE live week, it's the last time I can remember being totally gripped by an episode of a soap.

I was going to add this - when you are genuinely surprised by a plot turn or a cliffhanger it is such a treat. I hate the way Corrie in particular releases so much information about future storylines in advance. Are we really so impatient that we can't wait for something to play out on screen?

My pet hate is the comedy episode - usually a bit of filler to offset or follow a particularly dramatic storyline. They rarely work, tend to focus on irritating characters, and the scripting is far fetched and forced.
  • benjwx1benjwx1 Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Some great thoughts on this thread so far, I thought I'd revive it in case some people missed it the first time round :)
  • Alex_SullivanAlex_Sullivan Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borrowing a theme from Victor Lewis-Smith - Acting, scripting and directing all being in tune simultaneously. It sounds simple, but it's not. That's why only a certain number of people work in television.