Options

American foods/snacks

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
Forum Member
Has anyone tried American snacks? How do they compare to UK variants?
Once I tried 'Whoppers' and they suck balls, basically a nasty version of Maltesers as they arent made of real chocolate. I do like Reese's Cups and Nutrageous though.

However I came across "Cheez-It" crackers in Tesco, and I'm like "These are OK" and then a bit later on "These are really bland with just a slight cheesy aftertaste" :confused:

Comments

• Options
    katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Reece's Puffs breakfast cereal but it's too expensive to buy regularly Tesco 's price is £5 but even dearer on Amazon and ebay. OK for a treat though.I haven't found a british version yet.
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaming hot Cheetos are much better in the US. They had a problem a few years ago where kids weren't eating anything else (and were leaving red fingerprints all over the place), so a bunch of schools banned them. I suspect that our version is comparatively crap because the US version is full of lovely unsafe additives.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Flaming hot Cheetos are much better in the US. They had a problem a few years ago where kids weren't eating anything else (and were leaving red fingerprints all over the place), so a bunch of schools banned them. I suspect that our version is comparatively crap because the US version is full of lovely unsafe additives.

You can't get UK Cheetos can you?
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Cheetos (Cheese ones and Flamin Hot) are in my local shop, in the UK
    Talking of additives, some countries like Canada wouldn't have things like our breakfast cereals and marmite because they have added vitamins which are classed as banned additives.
  • Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Snyders jalepeno bagel chips are yum. You can get them in some Sainsbury's if they have an American food section
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Yes Cheetos (Cheese ones and Flamin Hot) are in my local shop, in the UK
    Talking of additives, some countries like Canada wouldn't have things like our breakfast cereals and marmite because they have added vitamins which are classed as banned additives.

Just checked and they were only introduced last year into the UK, didn't realise. Thought we had to make do with Wotsits.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tarts. Sold as a breakfast food, but really, who are they kidding? It's pie. Pie that fits in a toaster. They're also delicious.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The European Hershey bars arent' too bad. Miles better than the US originals. No barf-aftertaste.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reese PB cups and Reese's Pieces are nice. Tootsie Rolls are also good. Not a fan of Hershey chocolate or Butterfinger. I hadn't eaten a Twinkie in a long time but bought one recently at Poundland and it was disgusting. Either a different recipe altogether or some preservative added to ship them here.

Chocolate bars that I haven't seen here but think they would be a nice addition:
    Coffee Crisp (not at all similar to Toffee Crisp)
    Crispy Crunch
    Oh Henry
    Cherry Blossom

These might be specific to Canada, not the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reese PB cups and Reese's Pieces are nice. Tootsie Rolls are also good. Not a fan of Hershey chocolate or Butterfinger. I hadn't eaten a Twinkie in a long time but bought one recently at Poundland and it was disgusting. Either a different recipe altogether or some preservative added to ship them here.

Chocolate bars that I haven't seen here but think they would be a nice addition:
    Coffee Crisp (not at all similar to Toffee Crisp)
    Crispy Crunch
    Oh Henry
    Cherry Blossom

These might be specific to Canada, not the US.

The company that made Twinkies (Hostess) went under and was bought out. They stopped production during the transition (they were shuttered for months) and then the new bakery took over. Other than being smaller, domestic Hostess products have seemed the same (at least the ones I've tried.) I wonder if they didn't license the brand for export. Where were they made, I wonder.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American chocolate is vile but I do like their Musketeer bars they are similar to the original Milky Ways of the 1970s. The Whoppers are truly awful. I like Reeses Cups but feel sure they are too laden with calories so feel guilty when I have one.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do with a UK supplier of Cheez Whiz in order to make my Philly Cheese Steaks a little better.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like white chocolate Reese's cups, although so they are so expensive over here.

Are peanut butter Snickers and peanut butter Twixes American? Because if so, those too.

There's a brand called something like Flipz(?) too which does white chocolate coated pretzels, so gooooood.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that you can now get Planters brand nut assortments over here now as well.
  • Options
    Tina_KramerTina_Kramer Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Brown sugar and cinnamon Pop Tarts. Sold as a breakfast food, but really, who are they kidding? It's pie. Pie that fits in a toaster. They're also delicious.

If you like Pop Tarts, you might like Pillsbury's Toaster Strudel. It's the same basic concept as Pop Tarts only the crust is more of a flaky pastry type crust and you really do have to toast them or put them in the oven. They come with a packet of frosting that you can squeeze on, but it's pretty terrible so I usually leave it off.

The other difference is you can also get them with a scrambled egg and cheese/bacon/sausage filling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like Pop Tarts, you might like Pillsbury's Toaster Strudel. It's the same basic concept as Pop Tarts only the crust is more of a flaky pastry type crust and you really do have to toast them or put them in the oven. They come with a packet of frosting that you can squeeze on, but it's pretty terrible so I usually leave it off.

The other difference is you can also get them with a scrambled egg and cheese/bacon/sausage filling.

It's amazing what's in the pre-prepared frozen food aisle, isn't it?

I hadn't had a Pop Tart in about 40 years. One day, a few weeks back, I was wandering my local grocery store and they had a big display of them, with new soda pop themed flavours. There was root beer and orange soda, and I thought 'Ew" and went merrily along.

But it planted a seed in my head, because they were like Space Food Sticks and Tang, one of the treats that had to be begged for, and I got all misty thinking about them. So the next week I bought some of the brown sugar cinnamon ones, thinking I would have one for nostalgia's sake, and then, suitably disappointed, I'd then feed them to the chickens.

Wrong.

I can't speak to the other flavours, but I wasn't disappointed. I mean, they are what they are, shelf stable pastry filled with sugary goo, but for a afternoon snack with a glass of milk or a cup of tea or coffee, they still work.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't had a Pop Tart in about 40 years.

I had them once. Tasted like super-heated jam covered in cardboard. Horrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had them once. Tasted like super-heated jam covered in cardboard. Horrible.

I doubt you were a child at the time. What kids enjoy and what adults like tend to be vastly different things.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about the Lucky Charms, the greatest cereal of all time!
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It's all about the Lucky Charms, the greatest cereal of all time!

Not so. Coco Pops is the king of sugary cereals. Although I suppose technically that counts as American too.

Aside from the marshmallow sugar cube bits the rest of Lucky Charms is bland fare, whereas nothing goes to waste in Coco Pops, not even the resulting chocolatey enhanced milk!

I had Coco Pops again for the first time in years last week. You'd have thought I had 5 cups of coffee the sugar rush was so mental. :blush:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The European Hershey bars arent' too bad. Miles better than the US originals. No barf-aftertaste.

I've never seen European Hershey - where can you get it? :)
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I've never seen European Hershey - where can you get it? :)

Probably in B&M stores, they have a section for American sweets and snacks.

Edit: Ooops didn't read that properly sorry. Don't know about European Hershey bars.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Probably in B&M stores, they have a section for American sweets and snacks.

Edit: Ooops didn't read that properly sorry. Don't know about European Hershey bars.

Most newsagents and supermarkets sell them. He's talking about the ones sold in the U.K. but being a bit trendy by referring to them as European.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought some bacon jam from Aldi recently, although I haven't tried anu yet.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought some bacon jam from Aldi recently, although I haven't tried anu yet.

Sounds yuck.