anyone here got barrets esphosogus/acid reflux?

TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My father had a endoscopy a few weeks ago and was told he had it, he still hasn't received his results from his biopsy but is still in pain and discomfort. Does it take a while to heal?

Comments

• flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have it and it doesn't heal. I would guess they've now put him on PPI tablets to prevent further damage and ease the symptoms of his acid reflux. (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole or something.) Once these start to take effect he will be more comfortable because the acid will no longer be forming, hence no longer burning the already damaged tissue of his oesophagus. He will most likely be put on a surveilance program with regular endoscopys and biopsies.

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I'm not in any risk group so it was quite a suprise. I was only 39 at the time. I have endoscopys every 2 years currently with biopsies taken each time. So far all is good.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I went to a talk last week about reflux and use of PPIs and NSAIDs- don't take them together (for prolonged periods anyway!)
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a talk last week about reflux and use of PPIs and NSAIDs- don't take them together (for prolonged periods anyway!)

That's an interesting statement, given that anyone prescribed long-term NSAIDs is usually routinely given a PPI. What was the reasoning?

(That's really not meant to sound as snarky as it came out, I'm genuinely interested!)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two older sons have this problem, well my eldest son had it bad where he had to have an operation to construct a new sealing flap which had burnt away with the acid.
    My other son takes Omeprazole for the symptoms, he's 29 btw.
    My eldest son was 28 when he had the op 6 years ago.

The docs say it is made worse by eating late at night.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Errodiel wrote: »
    That's an interesting statement, given that anyone prescribed long-term NSAIDs is usually routinely given a PPI. What was the reasoning?

(That's really not meant to sound as snarky as it came out, I'm genuinely interested!)

I'd need to look at my notes which are in work- but there was something fundemental that is overlooked- GP's and prescribing policy bods aren't usually up to date/the brightest...!

I do remember that the combination has never been properly studied, and that NSAIDs block both the good and bad effects of prostanoids. Will have a look in the new year and report back. I do remember that the evdidence was string though!
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes!! I have it and it's hell. I cannot explain how bad it can be. I have to take a tablet for it once a day and if I forget god help me.

I am Omeprazole for it.
  • TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much to everyone my dad also takes Omeprazole and he's worried he can never drink alcohol again but Im sure he'll get over it.
  • Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much to everyone my dad also takes Omeprazole and he's worried he can never drink alcohol again but Im sure he'll get over it.
    I take Omeprazole and drink alcohol from time to time without any issue.
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it and am not on any meds or anyhting. Eating late at night/too soon before bed really does make it start up with me, and eating lots of crisps too.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this (acid reflux) intermittently for about a year now but at the moment am self treating with Gaviscon. I can no longer eat one of my favorite foods (houmus) because I think it is the lemon juice that sets it off. Also baked beans (or in fact any kind of bean) also sets it off. There is also a particularly nice cheesy bread that I used to buy from our local bakers that also doesn't agree with me.

I have stopped eating a meal after 6 pm which does seem to alleviate the symptoms as well as helping me lose some weight (being over weight can also cause this).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses guys it helps to know its seems quite a common (yet nasty) condition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses guys it helps to know its seems quite a common (yet nasty) condition.

Acid Reflux is very common but Barretts Oesophagus is not so common and can go on to cause major problems in some cases.
    Barretts is caused by long term untreated reflux so anyone who suffers badly with acid reflux should seek advice from their GP.
    I didn't know I had acid reflux. I just used to get the occassional heartburn and avoid certain foods. I then became very ill and on investigation Barretts was found so it was too late to avoid it getting to that stage. If I had known sooner and got medication for it I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now. Lifelong medication, endoscopies and biopsies and hope it doesn't progress to the next stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    I've had this (acid reflux) intermittently for about a year now but at the moment am self treating with Gaviscon. I can no longer eat one of my favorite foods (houmus) because I think it is the lemon juice that sets it off. Also baked beans (or in fact any kind of bean) also sets it off. There is also a particularly nice cheesy bread that I used to buy from our local bakers that also doesn't agree with me.

I have stopped eating a meal after 6 pm which does seem to alleviate the symptoms as well as helping me lose some weight (being over weight can also cause this).

Please go to your GP and ask for an endoscopy. If you have acid reflux for this length of time it needs proper investigation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »
    Acid Reflux is very common but Barretts Oesophagus is not so common and can go on to cause major problems in some cases.
    Barretts is caused by long term untreated reflux so anyone who suffers badly with acid reflux should seek advice from their GP.
    I didn't know I had acid reflux. I just used to get the occassional heartburn and avoid certain foods. I then became very ill and on investigation Barretts was found so it was too late to avoid it getting to that stage. If I had known sooner and got medication for it I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now. Lifelong medication, endoscopies and biopsies and hope it doesn't progress to the next stage.

Im just glad he knows now rather than later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just glad he knows now rather than later

It is a huge advantage knowing and your dad is lucky he knows now. He will now be monitored for any further changes and treated accordingly. There is no reason he can't enjoy a drink here and there. I know doctors will advise against it but in moderation he should be fine. I'm not a big drinker anyway but if I do try to drink, after 2 glasses of wine I feel too sick to continue anyway and I don't ignore it because if I try to carry on I will just throw up.
    You have to adapt your diet to it but it isn't hard because if something makes you feel unwell, why would you want it anyway;)
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heatburn Help Forums are pretty good.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on Omeprazole for just over 2 years getting a bit sick and tired of it now, good luck to your father.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and of course BARRETTS can lead to cancer..so very wise to have the camera down..
    and see if the cells are changing before it is too late..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drink alcohol and take Omeprazole. I do find it flares it up a bit with alcohol. But I get it very bad.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omeprazole comes in 3 strengths, 20mg 40mg and i think a 30m as well..if you are on the lower dose and the pain is bad. i always take an xtra one..
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I suffered this for years and was on Lanzoprozole and a few others, I had an endoscopy (which I truly hated) last year and they upped the strength of the tablets. Now I rarely suffer with it and have gone from taking a tablet daily to taking them whenever I need one, which now has been nearly 3 months, although I do still suffer with it its nowhere near the extreme pain that would have me crippled and curled up into a ball.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omeprazole comes in 3 strengths, 20mg 40mg and i think a 30m as well..if you are on the lower dose and the pain is bad. i always take an xtra one..

I take 20mg and sometimes it isn't enough. I may have to ask my doc to have a higher dose then. The acid just fills my throat and my mouth waters so badly. At night I cannot even lay on my side because it rises up.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »

BO can lead to cancer, my husband takes omprezole and since then his indigestion has been fine and can more or less eat anything. he also has a large hiatus hernia as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was diagnosed with Barretts earlier this year after many years of problems which my doctor failed to diagnose correctly. I am now on esomeprazole 1 x 40 mg and and domperidone 2 x 10 mg twice daily which has definitely helped me but have to say occasionally I lapse with the eating/drinking and sometimes suffer as a result. I made the grave mistake of eating salted cashew nuts on Xmas night and consequently suffered most of the night ( I had previously not had nuts, which i love, for months). The sensation I have is being unable to breathe, as my throat swells up, consequently i am wretching and coughing a lot, this also happens with pastry and crisps, I think due to salt content.

I know i need to lose weight, as this contributes to the problem, as does tight clothing so belts have to be looser now. I do not eat after about 7 and try to sleep propped more upright as this helps too.
    I will need to have an endoscopy either annually or bi-annually but I didnt have any problem with swallowing the camera like some people do. You must keep this condition monitored as , like others have stated already, the cells can turn cancerous, though after research on the internet, this is very rare indeed, not common as i was informed at the hospital.
    Actually the hospital told me thay didnt know much about the condition as it was quite rare so most of my info came from my own research.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I take Omeprazole and drink alcohol from time to time without any issue.

I take omeprazole without any side affects even after a skin full !

It comes in 10 mg as well