Options

Channel 4 - Becoming one of the best Channels?

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    It was the best channel in the 1980s.

Barely worth watching now.

The rot set in when they decided to compete head on with ITV1 and the station became trashy and obsessed with under 35s. Big Brother, Hollyoaks, Shipwrecked, T4, complete and utter rubbish. However, the end of most of their reality shows might be a sign of an improvement.
  • Options
    ItsAnObsessionItsAnObsession Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of you are saying C4 was at its best during 80's and 90's.. But can someone tell me what was good about it then?
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The Channel 4 of today is really nothing in comparison to the Channel 4 of the 90s, and its horrific ratings really are testament to that.

Yeah completely agree with you on that one. If you look at how innovate Channel 4 were both in 1990s and 1980s you'll see a world of difference from the "a million episode of Come Dine With Me in one afternoon".

That said, they do look like they have at least made a move in the right direction with finally dumping Big Brother. Plus the made Any Human Heart and The Red Riding Trilogy recently. I know it is not quite up to the previous efforts.

Good programmes of the 1980/1990s from Channel 4:-

G.B.H. (after Boys from the Blackstuff this is Alan Bleasdale's best work. A superb drama, plus probably gives Derek Hatton and Ken Livingstone nightmares!).

Drop the Dead Donkey (ignore the last series perhaps, but a superbly funny sit com, which had the real time element in it).

Father Ted (another superb sit com from Channel 4).

Whose Line is It Anyway? (great Friday nights on Channel 4 with this on).

The Camomile Lawn (probably the best Mary Wesley adaptation, be prepared from lots of shocking content though!).

Equinox (superb science programme to rival BBC's Horizon programme.).

A Week in Politics (probably the best programme ever made for political discussion. Did have a sligh5tly jokey tone, but knew when to take things seriously, unlike This Week with its "celeb" guests! The late great Vincent Hanna was on this, as was Andrew Rawnsley).

A Shot in the Dark (great late night discussion show. Showed some controversial stuff on it. Notably having Olly Reed on there, but also Enoch Powell turned up for a debate!).

Plus the quality US imports like :

Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Thirysomething, Roseanne, Cheers, Frasier, etc.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of you are saying C4 was at its best during 80's and 90's.. But can someone tell me what was good about it then?

Quality drama, docs, excellent arts programming. They also showed a lot of foreign films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brookside, 20/20 Vision, Cutting Edge, One Summer, Scully, GBH, The Tube, Damon and Debbie, the American imports like Cheers, off beat sports shows like Transworld Sport, Paul Hogan, Dispatches, The Irish RM, Fairly Secret Army, the classic films from the thirties, quite a lot to watch then.
  • Options
    samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at Stewart Lee's brilliant 41st Best Stand-Up Of All-Time DVD for his take on the "worst TV channel in Britain"...and his superb Celebrity Big Brother racism row routine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samandmai wrote: »
    Have a look at Stewart Lee's brilliant 41st Best Stand-Up Of All-Time DVD for his take on the "worst TV channel in Britain"...and his superb Celebrity Big Brother racism row routine.

Channel 4 is still art compared with ITV2, which is just a dumping ground for braindead reality shows for female chavs, ancient repeats of Judge Judy and endless repeats of the previous night's soaps.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Yeah completely agree with you on that one. If you look at how innovate Channel 4 were both in 1990s and 1980s you'll see a world of difference from the "a million episode of Come Dine With Me in one afternoon".

That said, they do look like they have at least made a move in the right direction with finally dumping Big Brother. Plus the made Any Human Heart and The Red Riding Trilogy recently. I know it is not quite up to the previous efforts.

Good programmes of the 1980/1990s from Channel 4:-

G.B.H. (after Boys from the Blackstuff this is Alan Bleasdale's best work. A superb drama, plus probably gives Derek Hatton and Ken Livingstone nightmares!).

Drop the Dead Donkey (ignore the last series perhaps, but a superbly funny sit com, which had the real time element in it).

Father Ted (another superb sit com from Channel 4).

Whose Line is It Anyway? (great Friday nights on Channel 4 with this on).

The Camomile Lawn (probably the best Mary Wesley adaptation, be prepared from lots of shocking content though!).

Equinox (superb science programme to rival BBC's Horizon programme.).

A Week in Politics (probably the best programme ever made for political discussion. Did have a sligh5tly jokey tone, but knew when to take things seriously, unlike This Week with its "celeb" guests! The late great Vincent Hanna was on this, as was Andrew Rawnsley).

A Shot in the Dark (great late night discussion show. Showed some controversial stuff on it. Notably having Olly Reed on there, but also Enoch Powell turned up for a debate!).

Plus the quality US imports like :

Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Thirysomething, Roseanne, Cheers, Frasier, etc.

It's scary when you look at what C4 used to put out compared to now.

C4 should be putting quality out rather than endless episodes of CDWM.

I wouldn't mind seing C4 trying to make a UK version of the Daily Show. We need a bit of political satire, especially on C4.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Channel 4 is still art compared with ITV2, which is just a dumping ground for braindead reality shows for female chavs, ancient repeats of Judge Judy and endless repeats of the previous night's soaps.

CH4 is publically owned and has a remit similar to the BBCs in many ways.

ITV2 is at least honest trash, and that's all it is required to be.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching Channel 4 (& E4) more than any other channel for 10 years now.
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    BRING ON RUPERT MURDOCH!!! Maybe he could make C4 less snobby
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

C4 is snobby?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

Absolutely, the last intelligent and interesting politics programme on British telly.

And they also showed it on a Saturday evening, which beggars belief.
  • Options
    wild_tywild_ty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I do believe Channel 4 has changed its target audience. I would also say that the majority of channel 4's new auidence would not visit sites such as digital spy, hence why the majority of posters here disagree with the OP comments.

I would tend to agree with most posters that the quality of channel 4's programming has dropped. Transworld sport, Equinox, The Crystal Maze, Father Ted, Football Italia were all fine programes that we all loved and enjoyed and could only find on channel for during the late 80's and 90's.

However they have aired some great British drama / comedies for the younger generations, Misfits, Inbetweeners and Skins being but a few. Whether we like these programes or not, you can not deny the impact these programes have had. Skins for example has now been shipped off to the U.S.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    In Channel 4's defence they still produce some good work on More 4 and Film 4.
    I still miss Equinox and Sumo all these years later.
  • Options
    ASH2ASH2 Posts: 359
    Forum Member

One Summer
    Cheers

the best Friday's ever
  • Options
    Forum Member

Murdoch owns Sky doesn't he?
    Why are you shouting?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wild_ty wrote: »
    I do believe Channel 4 has changed its target audience. I would also say that the majority of channel 4's new auidence would not visit sites such as digital spy, hence why the majority of posters here disagree with the OP comments.

I would tend to agree with most posters that the quality of channel 4's programming has dropped. Transworld sport, Equinox, The Crystal Maze, Father Ted, Football Italia were all fine programes that we all loved and enjoyed and could only find on channel for during the late 80's and 90's.

However they have aired some great British drama / comedies for the younger generations, Misfits, Inbetweeners and Skins being but a few. Whether we like these programes or not, you can not deny the impact these programes have had. Skins for example has now been shipped off to the U.S.

I would say it's aiming lower in terms of the intellectual level of the bulk of it's programmes.

Yes, it's dumbing down! Just like all the other older channels.

It's a bizarre response to the rise of multi-channels. It would have been better to stand out than blend in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Absolutely, the last intelligent and interesting politics programme on British telly.

And they also showed it on a Saturday evening, which beggars belief.

Shows BBC's offering with their wheeling in of random celeb guests in a very poor light.
    If it makes me cringe, the presenters must be on strong medication.

As an aside BBC2's What the Papers Say, pretty sure that was on a Saturday Evening too.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The rot set in when they decided to compete head on with ITV1 and the station became trashy and obsessed with under 35s. Big Brother, Hollyoaks, Shipwrecked, T4, complete and utter rubbish. However, the end of most of their reality shows might be a sign of an improvement.

No, just a further slump in their ratings. Channel 4 was great at the beginning because it of its funding agreement with ITV (which meant it did not have to compete, just seek out audiences not otherwise catered for).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like all initially well-meaning organisations, they end up serving their own short-term interests.

FiFA, BBC, Ofcom, politicians...
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shameless is about to get the kiss of Death.
    Ramsey started off well after his poaching. and his latest shows have totally slumped.
    as other posters suggest C4's main problem is they milk a show dry.

there is no way in hell shamelss can be as good with 22 eps coming up,the quality of some of this years series wasnt very good,its lost so many good cast members.

another good example is million pound drop,it started off really well then they pissed around with it timeslots and messing around with the days it aired and the impact was lost.
    IMO I cant see this new boss lasting long the channel is going from bad to worse in the ratings they have axed audience pulling shows and replaced them with stuff thats crashing.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they really messed about with the last series of Time Team. GGGRRRRRRRR!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Like a lot of channels it has rubbish on too. But they did show the best xmas eve viewing in over a decade this year with a peep show night.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weebles wrote: »
    Like a lot of channels it has rubbish on too. But they did show the best xmas eve viewing in over a decade this year with a peep show night.

One hour long doco, an airing of a new ep in the run of the new series and two repeats can neither qualify as a night nor as the best Xmas viewing in the last ten years!!! Exaggerate much?!?!?