Is this the place for Home& Maintenance queries?

daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,622
Forum Member
I have a very old Superser that has given me good service over the years. I bring it out for instant heat when we are experiencing really cold weather as we are now. But it only stays on for 10mins before 'blowing out'. I switch it off and after a couple of minutes turn it on again, it will give heat for another 10 mins some times 20 or 30mins, but will eventually 'blow out'. The gas bottle is about half full. Is the heater to blame or the gas bottle?

Reluctantly, I decided to purchase a new model, but I'm very disappointed with it, it seems manufacturers of portable heaters now do not bother enclosing the bottle, which looks very ugly. The heating panels are smaller and do not give out as much heat as the old SuperSer - some things do not change for the better. :-( My old superser may look old fashioned, but at least it has a rear door enclosing the gas cylinder and gave out more heat. If it is ok, I'm thinking about sending the new one back.

Comments

• yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but this post is only acceptable if you are asking how to get a new heater for free from the benefits agency, contemplating whether you can commit suicide by sticking your head over the gas cylinder, or blaming it's current poor performance on the immigrants who put it together in the factory where they are taking all our jobs.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was the section for priests who feel slightly unhappy but don't know why?
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was the section for priests who feel slightly unhappy but don't know why?

No that's over in Showbiz as part of the Jimmy Savile thread I believe. :D
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D ha ha :D
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Council Home and Child Maintenance maybe.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    If it's a question you have you're better off posting in Advice

:)
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you wont get a serious answer try advice section
  • gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I blame the Government or the Daily Mail judging by most threads I have been reading on this forum.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mention that the guy you bought it from drives a BMW. That will get the green-eyed fuddy duddies interested.
  • gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Mention that the guy you bought it from drives a BMW. That will get the green-eyed fuddy duddies interested.

And that he appeared to be on benefits but had satellite television:(
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    No this is complaints, home & maintenance queries are next door.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the thermocouple is knackered (if you look at the bottom where the pilot light comes up usually at an angle, there will be a metal device with its tip in the flame, I believe that is the thermocouple) - not sure how they are replaced though, or even if they are available as a spare.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,622
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this post is only acceptable if you are asking how to get a new heater for free from the benefits agency, contemplating whether you can commit suicide by sticking your head over the gas cylinder, or blaming it's current poor performance on the immigrants who put it together in the factory where they are taking all our jobs.
    Nope! :p
    fink wrote: »
    Council Home and Child Maintenance maybe.
    Nope! :rolleyes:
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    If it's a question you have you're better off posting in Advice

:)
    Thank you. :)
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    Looks like you wont get a serious answer try advice section
    Too true - thanks anyway.
    No this is complaints, home & maintenance queries are next door.
    I knocked, nobody answered. :(
    Sounds like the thermocouple is knackered (if you look at the bottom where the pilot light comes up usually at an angle, there will be a metal device with its tip in the flame, I believe that is the thermocouple) - not sure how they are replaced though, or even if they are available as a spare.

At last a good reply! Yes you are in the right area, some one else suggested vacuuming around the radiant/pilot light area, and this has worked a treat. Sending new one back, it's not a patch on the old one.
    Thanks for all replies - had a good laugh! :D