friend asking for money

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a "friend", we have both gone separate ways.

He is basically in the gutter, and I am on a decent wage in a job.

He has been given and flat by the LA, and gets money each week.

He has asked if I can borrow him some money, but then told me he was taking drugs.

He keeps telling me about his problems, which I think he wants money from me. I did borrow him £40 months ago, but I think this was a mistake, would you cut ties and forget about him?

Ironically his parents are upper middle class people (I guess he is to), but they don't want to know. I am working class.:cool:

In my book as soon as you touch drugs you are marked. Think his parents use the same system.

Comments

• jonapovajonapova Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I have a "friend", we have both gone separate ways.

He is basically in the gutter, and I am on a decent wage in a job.

He has been given and flat by the LA, and gets money each week.

He has asked if I can borrow him some money, but then told me he was taking drugs.

He keeps telling me about his problems, which I think he wants money from me. I did borrow him £40 months ago, but I think this was a mistake, would you cut ties and forget about him?

In my book as soon as you touch drugs you are marked.

Just say no
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonapova wrote: »
    Just say no

I have been, but he pesters me. I am debating cutting ties with him, but I don't like to kick someone when they are down. One day I could be in the gutter and need help off him.
  • jonapovajonapova Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been, but he pesters me. I am debating cutting ties with him, but I don't like to kick someone when they are down. One day I could be in the gutter and need help off him.

I think saying no and explaining why you don't want to give him money would be the best option.

You wont be feeding his addiction and you'll be helping him in a way.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under no circumstances should you give him any money. If he's really desperate for more drugs he'll find a way to come up with the money but don't make it your problem.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonapova wrote: »
    Just say no

Zammo RIP.:D
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need to be more direct and assertive so the drug addict is in no doubt that he knows he won't get any further money from you.

You made the mistake once by giving him £40. If his own family wont give him money, why should you? He's not your friend but an addict who thinks your'e a soft touch.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a friend who was in a similar position to your friend, he knew I had money and he wanted it for drugs.
    I asked him outright what he wanted the money for, and he said food. Which I admit my friend had no food in the house.
    I offered to go with him to buy the food, so I could pay and to make sure he gets food. He declined, and just asked for the money instead.
    I parted company with him that day as we were both going in 2 different directions and I didn't want to be involved with the scene he was into.

Don't lend anymore money, you won't get it back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't give him money for drugs.

If he was rock bottom in the gutter and needed food or fuel or clothes or rent, I would say help, if you can. But not for drugs - for that you're just funding a destructive lifestyle, not helping, sadly.

Beware of ending up where he is if you get too close to him and too enmeshed in his problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Come on OP. You know full well he will NEVER pay you back. Step away from this person. Be strong and tell him no. He will move on to the next acquaintance, or should I say mug.
    You mean nothing to him other than a source to fund his drug habit.
    There is an old saying "a borrower nor a lender be."
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not borrowing or lending, you're ultimately supporting the dealer. Walk away.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just causes problems. Leave him in the gutter if he cant help himself.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell the smackhead to Foxtrot Oscar, if he wants to fry his brain with drugs, fine but don't be the one to give him the money to help him do it.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget borrow / lend... and class has no relevance here either.

If you feel you must help with money, either buy him food (or anything else that he can't sell for drugs) or maybe pay towards electricity or whatever but pay direct, don't give him cash.

Make it quite clear you will never give him cash money and he will probably stop pestering you. If you give him cash money, you will likely be contributing towards his next fix.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Do you know what he is spending your money on?

He sounds the type to avoid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the friendship. How close are you?

If one of my good friends where in that situation, I'd do anything I could to help, if I was in a position to be able to.

Although I don't think this would include giving him money for drugs.

You put the word friend in quotation marks? Why is this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not really sure if he considers me a friend, he does not say I need money for drugs, but rather tells a story with an ending in which he needs money for something. But it is obvious where the money is going. He gets JSA and the other payments and all this money seems to go somewhere. Then he appears with drugs.

I have stayed well away from him since I found out he was on drugs, he has offered me them to take, obviously I refused. But as other posters say I don't want him to offer them to me when I might be bit depressed.

I have known him since we were kids, I would always go around to his house which was quite big, he would always say "look at this" or "look at that". I think he was showing off. But I am surprised his parents do not pay for rehab or something.

I guess I do find it ironic that he has been brought up in a middle class family and his life has gone down the pan, and I have been brought up in a working class family and come out ok. Money is not everything it seems.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    He squandered his opportunities his life gave him. He's not going to learn if people are just going to prop him up all the time.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I feel for the dilemma that tothegrand finds himself in.

If it were me, I'd take a box of basic food items round to the friend, together with leaflets about the nearest foodbank and drug rehabilitation centre and then let his parents know about the situation that their son is in.

I certainly wouldn't lend him any more money and if the friend asked again for money, I'd say I'd got large utility bills to pay and couldn't help out this time.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel for the dilemma that tothegrand finds himself in.

If it were me, I'd take a box of basic food items round to the friend, together with leaflets about the nearest foodbank and drug rehabilitation centre and then let his parents know about the situation that their son is in.

I certainly wouldn't lend him any more money and if the friend asked again for money, I'd say I'd got large utility bills to pay and couldn't help out this time.

Why give him food? He only wants money for drugs. The OP said he comes from a wealthy family, so they can feed him. He gets JSA and the other payments so he should be buying food with that.

Why lie about not having the money to give He needs to be given a dose of the cold harsh truth and he needs to be told hes a dirty drug addict and not to bother him over again.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Zenton wrote: »
    Why give him food? He only wants money for drugs. The OP said he comes from a wealthy family, so they can feed him. He gets JSA and the other payments so he should be buying food with that.

Why lie about not having the money to give He needs to be given a dose of the cold harsh truth and he needs to be told hes a dirty drug addict and not to bother him over again.

Just for the record, I did not advocate giving him any money and certainly wouldn't do so - just a one off bag of basic groceries and that's it. If this friend still wants to only go after drugs then no money should be given.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Borrow /lend same thing we all know what you mean I suggest you never lend/give money but give him a good meal/shelter every now and again but never allow him to take advantage of you
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't

Obviously its substance "abuse" for a reason, in the same breath if that friend ended up getting a bad "fix" which killed them I think I'd have a hard time getting that knowledge off of my conscience knowing I'd helped fuel their habit...because regardless of the status of that friendship we're ultimatly talking about another human being

Just say no, they will hate you for your decision (thats the addiction talking) and you need to accept that
    If the friendship is worth salvaging, find them some REAL help (counselling, rehab).

Does the guys family know what sort of trouble they are in?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep your money, ring his parents and let them know, they can take it from there.