Options

psychics being used to solve crimes good or bad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
psychics being used to solve crime good or idea??
if phychics can solve crimes why dont they solve every crime such as murders,missing people etc

Comments

• Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if phychics can solve crimes why dont they solve every crime such as murders,missing people etc

That is because there are no psychics. They are all frauds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If a 'psychic' ever leads the police to where a body is buried then you have your prime suspect right there. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wooster wrote: »
    If a 'psychic' ever leads the police to where a body is buried then you have your prime suspect right there. :)

Oh how true! :):):)
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite all the hype, "psychics" do not help police, if there was a single ounce of truth in thier claimed powers, the police would have a crack psychic team on 24 hour notice for all major crimes and missing people.

The problem is is becuase the police will speak to the psychics, it gives them the illusion they are being taken seriously and are helping them. The reality is the police have to chase up ALL leads, and the psychics are simply taking up police resources that could be used elsewhere.
    Each clairvoyant's claim was being taken seriously in case they were from the person or people who snatched Madeleine from her parent's holiday apartment in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz on May 3, Chief Inspector Sousa said.

"That is one of the reasons that we cannot discard anything," he said. "We must check them all in case it might be from the kidnapper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2092504,00.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Despite all the hype, "psychics" do not help police, if there was a single ounce of truth in thier claimed powers, the police would have a crack psychic team on 24 hour notice for all major crimes and missing people.

The problem is is becuase the police will speak to the psychics, it gives them the illusion they are being taken seriously and are helping them. The reality is the police have to chase up ALL leads, and the psychics are simply taking up police resources that could be used elsewhere.

The Soham psychic makes all sorts of claims but as soon as he is asked about finding Madeleine he produces the usual excuses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Soham psychic makes all sorts of claims but as soon as he is asked about finding Madeleine he produces the usual excuses.

Soham is a good example of the hindrance of psychics. Not only were all the odd balls writing in (it made national headlines over a number of days), but one of the parents brought in their psychics (probably justified under "it can't do any harm").

While none of them charged for their services, there were many psychics who claimed to "help the police", and said so in their adverts for many years afterward.

EDIT:-
    I forgot to say that none of the psychics did produce any information that lead to the discovery of the bodies.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an old report from 1992 but at the time Scotland yard said it never seeks their assistance.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19920125&id=utgPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SI0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6621,5215357
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the claims of the Soham psychic. See Soham psychic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    It's an old report from 1992 but at the time Scotland yard said it never seeks their assistance.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19920125&id=utgPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SI0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6621,5215357
    Interesting item.
    Worthy of note is the psychic who claims to have been in contacting with a police officer every ten or so weeks. I find this believable , and so this is why we have to be careful with any claimed "hits" psychics make. There source may not be supernatural.

I know of one case in Birmingham where a psychic contacted the papers with details of a killer. Two months afterwords he turned out to be correct in virtually all his predictions. However the alarm bells were ringing when he made the "predictions" becuase the claims were very specific, something psychics don't tend to do.

It turned out that the parents of a murdered girl had received information from the police about a "mysterious boyfriend", and they had passed on the details to the psychic, and these details became his predictions.

One thing of note, in the original article the quotes from the psychic were always ambiguous, never saying they were his predictions, simply implying it, but the journalist wrote the article as if they had been predictions.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is very true. If the police DON'T chase up every lead, they are risking missing something (someone claiming to have information on a case should ALWAYS be listened to, however batsh*t insane they may appear to be), but when they do, it grants the "psychics" legitimacy. Of course, solving the case is the prime concern, so the cops have no choice BUT to listen to information volunteered; unfortunately it's easy for the "psychics" to say they're being "consulted", when in fact they're probably just bothering cops who are trying their hardest to solve a case. But the alternative, to disregard information offered, would be unthinkable. So the cops kind of have their hands tied in this regard, and it's a PR win for the corpse-botherers and a PR fail for the Dibble. I'm not sure it could ever be any other way, though.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    They should not be wasting money on hiring such people. Who comes up with these idiotic ideas.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Bad. Very bad.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    This is very true. If the police DON'T chase up every lead, they are risking missing something (someone claiming to have information on a case should ALWAYS be listened to, however batsh*t insane they may appear to be), but when they do, it grants the "psychics" legitimacy. Of course, solving the case is the prime concern, so the cops have no choice BUT to listen to information volunteered; unfortunately it's easy for the "psychics" to say they're being "consulted", when in fact they're probably just bothering cops who are trying their hardest to solve a case. But the alternative, to disregard information offered, would be unthinkable. So the cops kind of have their hands tied in this regard, and it's a PR win for the corpse-botherers and a PR fail for the Dibble. I'm not sure it could ever be any other way, though.

I agree with that. No one is going to ignore any information provided, when there is a remote chance it could lead to something.

Often though there is evidence in other directions, which allow this rubbish not to take up too much time, but in cases of missing kids etc, no one is going to ignore information.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a psychic supplied info even if vague and not 100% concrete and the police investigated the lead, leading to an arrest and prosecution, does anyone know if that would qualify for a reward. If a reward was on offer of course?
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the police are obliged to follow up "leads" from "psychics", I don't see why they can't charge them with wasting police time when their predictions turn out to be a load of old arse.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    If the police are obliged to follow up "leads" from "psychics", I don't see why they can't charge them with wasting police time when their predictions turn out to be a load of old arse.

The police aren't obliged. If they are clueless enough to turn to psychics then it's entirely at taxpayers' expense.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is because there are no psychics. They are all frauds.

You can't state for certain that all psychics are frauds. This may be an opinion of yours, but you can't state it as fact, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    You can't state for certain that all psychics are frauds. This may be an opinion of yours, but you can't state it as fact, though.

Well I can be certain until one proves otherwise. Proofs have to be in the positive not the negative.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I can be certain until one proves otherwise. Proofs have to be in the positive not the negative.

They only have to be significantly better than guesswork.

Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    They only have to be significantly better than guesswork.

Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science.

Well no one has ever managed to prove such powers.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the LA Police Department will be hiring Derek Acorah.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It turned out that the parents of a murdered girl had received information from the police about a "mysterious boyfriend", and they had passed on the details to the psychic, and these details became his predictions

They may be right sometimes - enough for the police to have to check their leads - but the provenance of any correct information is, without exception, mundane.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I wonder if the LA Police Department will be hiring Derek Acorah.

I literally bumped into Derek Acorahs wife whilst he was filming something in a famous haunted house near my old gaff. I asked her some probing questions and she as good as admited to me that he just makes it all up as he's going along. If there are people with unusual talents out there Derek Acorah isn't one of them. Unless you count the talent of getting paid for absolutely eff all. That's quite a talent.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are police time wasters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally bumped into Derek Acorahs wife whilst he was filming something in a famous haunted house near my old gaff. I asked her some probing questions and she as good as admited to me that he just makes it all up as he's going along. If there are people with unusual talents out there Derek Acorah isn't one of them. Unless you count the talent of getting paid for absolutely eff all. That's quite a talent.

You are absolutely right. Why cannot everyone see that?