Watchdog BBC ONE Wednesday 1st May 2013

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just to remind that the 32nd series of Watchdog will be on Wednesday.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta muchly. 8pm I trust?
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please say Chris Hollins has been punted and replaced by someone at least half bearable?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Watchdog it that it is supposed to be a serious consumer programme dressed up to cater as entertainment with silly sketches and over jovial presenters. I suppose they are catering for the many that cannot sit and watch a programme with a serious subject without getting bored.

Many good documentary-type programmes are ruined these days, by showing them as low intelligence entertainment.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    The problem with Watchdog it that it is supposed to be a serious consumer programme dressed up to cater as entertainment with silly sketches and over jovial presenters. I suppose they are catering for the many that cannot sit and watch a programme with a serious subject without getting bored.

Many good documentary-type programmes are ruined these days, by showing them as low intelligence entertainment.

A lot of consumer based TV shows have been light-hearted and wacky all the way back to That's Life and The Braden Beat, probably one can lay the blame entirely on Esther Rancid.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of consumer based TV shows have been light-hearted and wacky all the way back to That's Life and The Braden Beat, probably one can lay the blame entirely on Esther Rancid.

Yes, she was often able to imply there was crisis over something which was only a bit of a drama.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

The thing is, there are "serious" consumer stories and there are trivial ones. They'd look ridiculous if they tackled them all as if they were Panorama.

Lynne Faulds Wood used to do that. She did stories about the dangers of pop-tarts, and made it sound as if it was as serious as North Korea's nuclear programme.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's BBC One, they seem to feel they have to make it laddish. Hence the idiocy with blokes on motorbikes.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    If it's BBC One, they seem to feel they have to make it laddish. Hence the idiocy with blokes on motorbikes.

Bloke (singular). Try to keep up.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly it was blokes (plural) on motorbike (singular). I forget exactly.

Let's see whether the motorbike or bikes survive into the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it for 2 reasons.

1) Because I am interested in seeing large companies, cowboys etc being caught out or exposed for bad practices.

2) So I can criticise the over zealousness of some of the aforementioned exposés.

I agree with pretty much everything I just read on here, but I'll still watch because one way or the other, it makes for interesting viewing. Another one is watching Anne Robinson doing a rotten job of grilling company directors etc by sticking to the script in her hand without deviation.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Ta muchly. 8pm I trust?

Yes, 8pm.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    The thing is, there are "serious" consumer stories and there are trivial ones. They'd look ridiculous if they tackled them all as if they were Panorama.

Lynne Faulds Wood used to do that. She did stories about the dangers of pop-tarts, and made it sound as if it was as serious as North Korea's nuclear programme.

Agreed, there's a lot of "rost-tinted spectacles" on DS these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    I watch it for 2 reasons.

1) Because I am interested in seeing large companies, cowboys etc being caught out or exposed for bad practices.

2) So I can criticise the over zealousness of some of the aforementioned exposés.

I agree with pretty much everything I just read on here, but I'll still watch because one way or the other, it makes for interesting viewing. Another one is watching Anne Robinson doing a rotten job of grilling company directors etc by sticking to the script in her hand without deviation.

These sort of programmes bring a new slant on "investigative reporting" in that it appears that many of the popular and familiar faces, are rubbish at it.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She did? wow, I used to eat those as a kid :eek: I demand to see that report! lol :D
    oulandy wrote: »
    Bloke (singular). Try to keep up.

Yes, Dan was jailed last year for benefit fraud (see:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-18867305)
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what studio is this now coming from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it was Mary Whitehouse Experience did a sketch parodying her on Watchdog. The catchphrase being "This [insert product] could be a potential death trap." The products got more trivial and unlikely as the sketch went on.

If was before I started watching Watchdog but it was a funny sketch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pop Tart?

Wasn't he Doughboy's father?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    what studio is this now coming from?

Salford or Cardiff.
  • P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea I did see this on my EPG,

I always do a full weeks search for programs I think I will like on a Sunday :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Salford or Cardiff.

but your not sure which?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but your not sure which?

No, but I'll be watching just see what Anne says.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good its not clashing this time...GET SOME TEETH ANNE
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, this piece about mobile contracts is off-putting. Didn't he just say staff now have to say prices could go up and down - down? whats the chance the phone companies are going to lower contract prices?.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if Matt can ride a bike, why did he need a driver?

Waste of Licence payers money. :(:)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Hmm, this piece about mobile contracts is off-putting. Didn't he just say staff now have to say prices could go up and down - down? whats the chance the phone companies are going to lower contract prices?.

Yes like prices are ever going to go down. :rolleyes: