Options

Nicholas Winton dies aged 106

soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33350880

I know this is "Showbiz", but this man orchestrated such an incredible humanitarian effort in the face of unrelenting evil, that I think his name deserves to be remembered.

As my tenuous celebrity link, I proffer that this man once featured on "That's Life".

Nicholas Winton organised the Kindertransport - he rescued nearly 700 children destined for Nazi concentration camps, battling with bureaucracy at each end of the journey, and risking his life on more than one occasion by travelling through occupied countries to oversee the transport - even though he was known - and hated - by the Nazis.

Memory eternal!

Comments

• Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    soundcheck wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33350880

I know this is "Showbiz", but this man orchestrated such an incredible humanitarian effort in the face of unrelenting evil, that I think his name deserves to be remembered.

As my tenuous celebrity link, I proffer that this man once featured on "That's Life".

Nicholas Winton organised the Kindertransport - he rescued nearly 700 children destined for Nazi concentration camps, battling with bureaucracy at each end of the journey, and risking his life on more than one occasion by travelling through occupied countries to oversee the transport - even though he was known - and hated - by the Nazis.

Memory eternal!

So much for the good dying young.

An extraordinarily brave and heroic man. I was in tears earlier at the footage.

Thanks, Soundcheck, for giving this space.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very brave man. He certainly deserves the title 'hero'.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was honoured on the Pride of Britain awards many years ago and survivors and their children came on stage to thank him. I was in bits! Hope he died a very proud man.
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    A great, great man. Restores your faith!
    RIP.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P.
    Nicholas