Uri Geller Mind Power - does it work?

RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In 1996, Uri Geller claimed that by concentrating really hard, he moved the ball just as Gary McAllister was about to strike it from the penalty spot against England. The penalty was saved, and England won the game.

Twice yesterday I concentrated really hard to get Djokovic to serve a fault and visualised the ball dumped into the net - on both occasions that's exactly what happened! :o

Sadly Federer wasn't playing well enough to do anything with the 2nd serves, but was this Uri Geller mind power at work? Have you ever experienced Uri Geller mind power? Have you ever bent a spoon?

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1996, Uri Geller claimed that by concentrating really hard, he moved the ball just as Gary McAllister was about to strike it from the penalty spot against England. The penalty was saved, and England won the game.

I don't think he actually claimed he did that himself did he? I thought he claimed it was as a result of the England fans collectively willing him to miss.

Either way, the guy is a crackpot.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Twice yesterday I concentrated really hard to get Djokovic to serve a fault and visualised the ball dumped into the net - on both occasions that's exactly what happened! :o

Sadly Federer wasn't playing well enough to do anything with the 2nd serves, but was this Uri Geller mind power at work? Have you ever experienced Uri Geller mind power? Have you ever bent a spoon?

Nah. Sadly pure coincidence. Uri Geller is a total fraud.

The spoons were specially made for his tricks. James Randi set out to expose him and provided the spoons for him to bend and magically his powers conveniently left him just at that moment :D
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone with hands can bend a spoon.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bent a couple of spoons in the past, was using them as levers to get the tyre off my bike when I was a kid. My mum wasn't happy.
  • RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I've bent a couple of spoons in the past, was using them as levers to get the tyre off my bike when I was a kid. My mum wasn't happy.

:D:D:D:D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. Sadly pure coincidence. Uri Geller is a total fraud.

The spoons were specially made for his tricks. James Randi set out to expose him and provided the spoons for him to bend and magically his powers conveniently left him just at that moment :D
    As I recall Geller was booked to appear on a US chat show to demonstrate his "talent". The show's producer kept all the spoons and other props under lock and key so Geller had no chance to handle them before they were brought out into the studio.

For some reason Geller refused to use them. I wonder why :confused::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he actually claimed he did that himself did he? I thought he claimed it was as a result of the England fans collectively willing him to miss.

I'm pretty sure he claimed that he had done it himself.

If it was just the fans, then no away team would score a penalty ever, as the majority of people in the stadium would always be willing the taker not to score!

He also claimed that he 'willed' the Russians into signing a peace treaty with the US in the 80s, so maybe they should now wheel him out to Ukraine...
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the kind of 'mind power' Uri Geller uses doesn't work in any physical or 'supernatural' sense...except for the extremely gullible.
    James Randi et al. have demonstrated just how selective his 'powers' are. The man uses pop psychology. Derren Brown is a far more accomplished illusionist than Geller and he doesn't even claim to have any 'powers' at all.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it doesn't.

Why do you think Uri Gellar himself can't bend spoons that are provided by other people? I'm pretty sure James Randi did this.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geller busted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Well, I can guarantee if I really, really, really want someone to win Wimbledon, they'll never do it - so sort of similar, but in a very bad way :(

(Apologies to Lendl, Roddick, Henin, Mandlakova, several others and this year Murray, I really am sorry, very sorry - I have much the same effect on Spurs as well :( )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    No, the kind of 'mind power' Uri Geller uses doesn't work in any physical or 'supernatural' sense...except for the extremely gullible..

My friends were peeing themselves the first time I 'got' Djokovic to serve into the net, then about 2 points later I tried it again, the same thing happened and they were like Uncle Albert in Fools and Horses when Rodney was going out with a girl :D

I didn't try it again, it would have ruined my new Mind Powers. Can't use them willy nilly now...
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's worked well for Geller. He lives quite well, I read somewhere
  • MoFoHoMoFoHo Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Can't quite explain why, but Uri Geller always made my skin crawl.

There was an excellent documentary on BBC4 only a month or so ago, about James Randi outing these magicians making fraudulent claims. In fact, James was quite an accomplished magician himself.

If it's still available on iplayer, it's worth watching.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends were peeing themselves the first time I 'got' Djokovic to serve into the net, then about 2 points later I tried it again, the same thing happened and they were like Uncle Albert in Fools and Horses when Rodney was going out with a girl :D

I didn't try it again, it would have ruined my new Mind Powers. Can't use them willy nilly now...

:D:D:D
    Shame...you could have at least gone for a hat-trick! :blush:;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I take it you told everyone what you were doing BEFORE you did it?

I trust you will be willing to demonstrate your new found power before the court of DIGITAL SPY ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you told everyone what you were doing BEFORE you did it?

I trust you will be willing to demonstrate your new found power before the court of DIGITAL SPY ?

Oh yeah. There was that bloke crossing his fingers that kept being shown, and I said "he's not doing it right, he should be giving it the full Uri Geller, fingers on eyebrows, Israeli accent... "you will serve into the net. The ball will go into the net...."(visualises ball into net)" :D

I'm not sure I've got the mind power today... it's all a bit... fuzzy.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of my brother is the cousin of some American magician/illusionist type person and has been to Uri Geller's house with him. Apparently, and perhaps unsurprisingly, there were no bent spoons to be seen. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure I've got the mind power today... it's all a bit... fuzzy.

Do not worry we are very patient here but rigorous in our approach.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like me just now, I've been throwing earplugs at my cup and BY BRAIN POWER ALONE I MANAGED TO WILL ONE TO LAND IN MY TEA. It's a miracle I tell you.

Now I've may have cold tea, and a soggy earplug, but I have PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT the power of my mind.

(Don't look at the other six attempts that went nowhere near, focus on the coincidence/miracle, just like Uri Gellar and his ilk do.)
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member

I wouldn't call him a crackpot. In my personal opinion he's a deliberate fraud, and very successful at it. To me a crackpot would act quite differently from how Uri Gellar has acted.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellars got brilliant Mind over matter. How else could he make money, and have such a brilliant career despite bringing such an obviously fruad?....
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I can bend spoons, so yes
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, Uri Geller has to use plastic cutlery at home for his own protection.
This discussion has been closed.